Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-19-2013, 04:37 AM   #16
Navy Chief
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,544
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadRdr View Post
I attribute this, driving slow while blocking the left lane, and lots of other bad driving to the "I'm the center of the universe and unaware of my surroundings" mentality. Zero manners.
I see a whole lot of the I am the center of the universe driving around here, my favorite trick is the middle lane drivers going at least 5 under the speed limit in the center lane with people flying by on both sides. Most of the time if you get a look at them they appear to be completely oblivious of what is going on around them....
Navy Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 04:46 AM   #17
henshao
Bained

Oddometer: 607
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navy Chief View Post
I see a whole lot of the I am the center of the universe driving around here, my favorite trick is the middle lane drivers going at least 5 under the speed limit in the center lane with people flying by on both sides. Most of the time if you get a look at them they appear to be completely oblivious of what is going on around them....
Honestly the middle lane is not a bad spot to do it. Let people zoom by in the left lane and get on and off the highway at their own pace in the right lane.
henshao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 04:55 AM   #18
Navy Chief
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by henshao View Post
Honestly the middle lane is not a bad spot to do it. Let people zoom by in the left lane and get on and off the highway at their own pace in the right lane.
They are a hazard, I have seen more near misses with people busting their asses trying to get around them at all costs.. Fortunately I have seen on MD state patrol light one up and pull them over for this behavior. People need to learn to drive or GTF off the road.... I have seen more incompetence and sheer stupidity since I moved to this area than any other place I have lived.
Old 07-19-2013, 06:00 AM   #19
Spaggy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 793
I was in a defensive driving class where the instructor said, "When the light turns green, I count to 3, I look left, I look right, I look left again and then I go." What an idiot.
Spaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 06:14 AM   #20
KX50002
NooB, my ass

Oddometer: 1,802
We have the opposite problem in this area. No one seems to know that they are supposed to stop on the big white line. When I come around a corner in a big ass truck and can't make it bhecause they stopped over the line they look at me like I'm an asshole, and say things like "don't you know how to drive that thing?"
I have taken to exaggerating the swing and just sitting on the air horn until they move.
Old 07-19-2013, 10:50 AM   #21
rocker59
diplomatico di moto

Oddometer: 15,614
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedShark View Post
I see it daily now - at the front at a traffic light, or back in the que - someone will stop a good 20 feet back from where they ought to be.
Where ought they be?

What do you consider the correct distance between stopped cars to be?

IBA #24873
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt
rocker59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 10:51 AM   #22
rocker59
diplomatico di moto

Quote:
Originally Posted by KX50002 View Post
We have the opposite problem in this area. No one seems to know that they are supposed to stop on the big white line. When I come around a corner in a big ass truck and can't make it bhecause they stopped over the line they look at me like I'm an asshole, and say things like "don't you know how to drive that thing?"
I have taken to exaggerating the swing and just sitting on the air horn until they move.
Lots of truck traffic on the urban 2-laners around here.

People have learned to lay back from the white line in the left turn lane for exactly this reason.

IBA #24873
Old 07-19-2013, 10:52 AM   #23
rocker59
diplomatico di moto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockmuncher View Post
I was in a defensive driving class where the instructor said, "When the light turns green, I count to 3, I look left, I look right, I look left again and then I go." What an idiot.
I don't count to three, but I do look.

Lots of red light runners here over the past few years.
IBA #24873
Old 07-19-2013, 11:00 AM   #24
pretbek
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,033
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockmuncher View Post
Incredibly inconvenient when you are behind him at a light and a tad overdoing it IMHO, but certainly not an idiot. The first 3 seconds of green light are when the red light runners from the crossing direction come racing through.
pretbek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 11:23 AM   #25
Navy Chief
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pretbek View Post
Incredibly inconvenient when you are behind him at a light and a tad overdoing it IMHO, but certainly not an idiot. The first 3 seconds of green light are when the red light runners from the crossing direction come racing through.
I have started pausing before I go, I use the time to double check for red light runners. Amazingly I have had 3 or 4 of them zip through the light since I started doing this, not sure there would have been an impact had I not waited, but I am glad that I did. If you can't wait the 1.5 seconds it takes me to count to three, check , and start moving you need to leave earlier...
Old 07-19-2013, 12:08 PM   #26
Uller
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,667
Car Insurance Companies

I didn't read all the responses so, if 205 I deserve it.....

It is because of the insurance industry. They preach to all that it is safe practice to stop at a point where you can still see the rear tires of the vehicle ahead of you. The reason is so that if someone rear ends you while you are stopped you won't roll forward enough to hit the vehicle ahead of you, increasing the damage to the vehicle and exacerbating the whiplash potential of the incident.

My mother was required to take an insurance mandated driving course a couple years ago in order to drive her husbands company owned vehicle. "Minding the gap" was one of the key points she started to practice after the course.

I have also heard/read of this same thing in other insurance company driving safety publications.
Uller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 12:13 PM   #27
Uller
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by henshao View Post
Respectfully, This is a bunch of bullshit. There is no Good place to do "it" at all!

PAYING ATTENTION TO ALL AROUND YOU IS IMPERATIVE TO DRIVING A VEHICLE. AND.....if you insist on going slower than traffic MOVE THE FUCK OVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-19-2013, 12:43 PM   #28
RedShark OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,340
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocker59 View Post
Where ought they be?

What do you consider the correct distance between stopped cars to be?

As I and others have stated - I always just understood it to be about the distance you need to not be 'trapped' - so in GENERAL traffic about 6 feet back, plus or minus 1 standard deviation. Which is to say, fuck, I dunno - but 20 feet in commuter traffic seems excess and I see it regularly.

I was just wondering if I missed the memo.

As for those tuned-out folks doing 50-55 in a center lane with heavy traffic sailing past at speed on both sides - yeah, you see that in SoCAL, a lot on the 5 - where everyone else is doing 70+, You have to wonder what the Hell they are thinking in that vehicle with this maelstrom of steel, rubber and glass wizzing past them like a rushing tumult. I'd be terrified myself. I once had a rented F650 that developed an electrical issue between Garda and Firenze, and wouldn't go over about 80kph, so I got the heck OFF the AutoStrada (Italian turnpike) and completed the trip on back roads.

Had one of the best rides of the trip.
RedShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 01:48 PM   #29
rocker59
diplomatico di moto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uller View Post
I didn't read all the responses so, if 205 I deserve it.....

It is because of the insurance industry. They preach to all that it is safe practice to stop at a point where you can still see the rear tires of the vehicle ahead of you. The reason is so that if someone rear ends you while you are stopped you won't roll forward enough to hit the vehicle ahead of you, increasing the damage to the vehicle and exacerbating the whiplash potential of the incident.

My mother was required to take an insurance mandated driving course a couple years ago in order to drive her husbands company owned vehicle. "Minding the gap" was one of the key points she started to practice after the course.

I have also heard/read of this same thing in other insurance company driving safety publications.
I was taught in driver's ed over 30-years ago to stop far enough back to see the bottom of the bumper of the car in front of you. The reason was so you weren't trapped if the car ahead broke down, or if someone tried to carjack you. It allows room to escape, if needed.
IBA #24873
Old 07-19-2013, 02:02 PM   #30
Uller
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocker59 View Post
I was taught in driver's ed over 30-years ago to stop far enough back to see the bottom of the bumper of the car in front of you. The reason was so you weren't trapped if the car ahead broke down, or if someone tried to carjack you. It allows room to escape, if needed.
Around 20 years ago I was taught to do the same, not for the carjacking reason though. For that, we were taught to use the door locks.
However, for safety reasons and to aid in extraction in case of a wreck, once you are up to freeway speed, you unlock the doors.

Seeing the bumper vs. contact patch of the tires (insurance industry recommendation) is quite a different thing and really adds up if everyone is doing it.

The turning radius of cars has dramatically changed since then though. With some of todays cars you could stop in the gap once left by others and still maneuver around the car in front of you. Not so much with those boats, without power steering, you old fuckers once drove....