Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-19-2013, 01:07 PM   #31
RedShark OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,286
Hey, watch it pal. or I'll flash my high-beams at you with the switch on the floor...
RedShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 01:45 PM   #32
rocker59
diplomatico di moto

Oddometer: 15,460
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedShark View Post
Hey, watch it pal. or I'll flash my high-beams at you with the switch on the floor...
Why did they get rid of those? They were cool!
IBA #24873, MGNOC #21347
“Just keep playing, no matter how weird it gets.”
rocker59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 01:50 PM   #33
OhBoy
Got Out

Oddometer: 1,014
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocker59 View Post
Why did they get rid of those? They were cool!
Those disappeared on their own. The switch went thru the floor onto the highway when the floor boards rusted thru.
Old 07-19-2013, 09:13 PM   #34
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,723
Keep in mind that many a modern stoplight and vehicle don't mix well with where the white line is painted.

I'm guessing that it may be something more than ineptitude... it may be that drivers have finally figured out that the neck strain, or just not seeing the light, isn't worth the hassle vs. stopping back a ways to be able to see the light from a normal driver's position.

It may be, too, that too many have seen accidents at crossing and just want to sit the hell back from it all.

I know I learned something else that I'm sure annoys the shit out of some younger drivers when I was commuting home from work one day... yeah, that's now me who waits about 3 seconds before starting off through a green light. I've seen what red-light runners can do to a car just ahead of me, so on the bike I'll wait for the fools to run that red, and take the time to look both ways as I'm waiting.
their motorcycles
." --
RyanR
Mambo Dave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 06:48 AM   #35
ChaoSS402
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
Being able to move out of the way isn't just a car jacking thing, I've seen, on countless occasions, a lane of traffic 20 + cars long that can't move because the car at the front has stalled inexplicably and nobody has left sufficient room to go around.

I'll admit that there are times when it is annoying that people leave so much room, especially when there isn't much room between lights, and they are timed poorly so that people can't go through more than one light, and people get a green and can't go because there is no room on the other side for them.

And here's something to really grind everyone's gears. I used to drive a tow truck for a living, and we used to have a contract with one of the big utility companies, so I had opportunity to talk to a lot of the meter readers. Turns out that when they get hired they go through a training course about safe driving practices, a large company that apparently trains a large number of companies around the country.

Anyway, in this class they teach that because the right lane is the lane where a lot of people are getting on and off, and a number of people will realize that they are at their exit and slam on their brakes, the "Safe Driving Practice" is to never drive in the right hand lane, no matter their speed. That's right, with most of the freeways around here being 2 lane, they are required to drive in the left hand lane, and the company is very strict about speeding. So, most of the time, they are doing less than the speed limit, in the left lane. Company policy.
ChaoSS402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 07:33 AM   #36
jimhaleyscomet
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 100
Why I stay back and why it does not slow traffic through light

I always stay WAY back when at lights. Actually I try to slow far before the light so I spend as little time stopped as possible. There are far too many texters and I do lots of things to keep from being rammed. Staying WAY back allows me to move forward once they finally wake up and slam on the brakes. I also flash my brake lights. Only once one or two cars are stopped behind me will I move forward. My practice does not reduce the number of cars that can make it through a light because on green I accelerate at the SAME TIME as the cars before me.

As for driving slowly in the left lane, sometimes I do it. I often have a 4 second gap in from of me but my forward progress is stalled by a multi lane multi car deep slug of traffic and solid traffic beside me. In that case there is no reason for me to "move over" just so someone can try and thread/tailgate the way through while eliminating my safety gap in the process. The driver(s)/semi(s) causing the slug should move out of left lane but just because they are pacing us and someone wants to tailgate them does not mean I should move over causing a reduction in my safety cushion.

Additionally, there is no good reason for me to move right when it means taking the safety gap from the car in the right lane next to me. I wait to move over until the car beside me is at least as far back as the one behind me AND I will be at least 2 seconds ahead of the car in the right lane. I hate when folks pass me going one mile an hour faster then me then IMMEDIATELY clear the left lane while cutting my safety cushion from 4 seconds to 1/2 a second. In the rain that behavior becomes especially obnoxious and dangerous.

Yes, move over when safe. Yes stay right as much as is safe. But moving over is often less safe when done too soon or when the traffic ahead is blocked.
jimhaleyscomet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 09:09 PM   #37
ThumperStorm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,118
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhaleyscomet View Post
I always stay WAY back when at lights. Actually I try to slow far before the light so I spend as little time stopped as possible. There are far too many texters and I do lots of things to keep from being rammed. Staying WAY back allows me to move forward once they finally wake up and slam on the brakes. I also flash my brake lights. Only once one or two cars are stopped behind me will I move forward. My practice does not reduce the number of cars that can make it through a light because on green I accelerate at the SAME TIME as the cars before me.

As for driving slowly in the left lane, sometimes I do it. I often have a 4 second gap in from of me but my forward progress is stalled by a multi lane multi car deep slug of traffic and solid traffic beside me. In that case there is no reason for me to "move over" just so someone can try and thread/tailgate the way through while eliminating my safety gap in the process. The driver(s)/semi(s) causing the slug should move out of left lane but just because they are pacing us and someone wants to tailgate them does not mean I should move over causing a reduction in my safety cushion.

Additionally, there is no good reason for me to move right when it means taking the safety gap from the car in the right lane next to me. I wait to move over until the car beside me is at least as far back as the one behind me AND I will be at least 2 seconds ahead of the car in the right lane. I hate when folks pass me going one mile an hour faster then me then IMMEDIATELY clear the left lane while cutting my safety cushion from 4 seconds to 1/2 a second. In the rain that behavior becomes especially obnoxious and dangerous.

Yes, move over when safe. Yes stay right as much as is safe. But moving over is often less safe when done too soon or when the traffic ahead is blocked.
Old 07-21-2013, 09:23 PM   #38
larryboy
Paint it black.

Oddometer: 13,701
I get to split lanes legally, this lets me see into the cars to see what is causing all of this poor driving...98% of the cars that do something crazy... slow to 40 mph suddenly on the freeway, stop short at lights, come flying down the road and suddenly match my speed...you've seen them...they're all texting, solid 98%...the other 2% are Asian.
larryboy is offline   Reply With Quote