User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-17-2013, 04:27 PM   #1
RaY YreKa OP
I Am the Mayor

Oddometer: 16,189
Euro Licences: Is it Equal?

OK, my son is approaching 16, which means I will pay for a 'chicken chaser', 50cc, scooter CBT so he gets a taste/feel for 2-wheels.

At 17, I can pay for a full 125cc CBT, and at 19 a 47bhp 'direct access' course in the UK.

But, here's the rub, he is resident in France; he stays with me for Easter and Summer, and alternate December/Jan.

My experience of French bureaucracy is not good, and I know that registering a UK bike in France is a nightmare.

So, here's my euro question; if I pay for all his training in the UK, will the French recognise the licence?

Or shall I just transfer him the money to his French bank account, and cut out all the fun?

I would much rather be with him, in the UK, riding, even if I have to buy two 125cc bikes to do it.
IBA #40578

shine on, you crazy emo diamond
RaY YreKa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 05:28 PM   #2
GiorgioXT
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,363
This sums up practically all

Quote:
EU driving licences
Before you move to a new country, make sure your driving licence has not expired.

Provisional licences or certificates issued in your home country will not be recognised in other EU countries.

If you move to another country, you can drive there with your current
licence as long as it remains valid.
The following categories AM, A1, A2, A, B, BE, B1, B1E, C1, C1E, C, CE, D1, D1E, D and DE are recognised throughout Europe.

EU countries must ensure that all driving licences in circulation are in the new EU standard format by 2033 at the latest.

If you have a driving licence for life, you will be informed by your EU country of residence when to exchange your driving licence for one in the EU standard format.

Renewing / exchanging licences
You can have your licence renewed (or exchanged from a licence issued by another country) only by the authorities of the country where you are resident.

They will exchange your original driving licence for a local one. You will then be subject to the same rules as nationals of that country regarding validity periods, medical checks and so on.
That in bold is the important part
DRZ400 S '03 XT600 '90 XT550 '82 XT500 '81 - giorgioxt@email.it - www.polverosi.org - EchM#645
"se sei incerto tieni APERTO !
GiorgioXT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 05:40 PM   #3
RaY YreKa OP
I Am the Mayor

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiorgioXT View Post
This sums up practically all

That in bold is the important part
Thank you mate

If I have read your post right, my son will need a provisional licence in each country, but if he passes the A2 test (the one we would aim for, aged 19) that should be valid across Europe, no matter where he takes the test?
IBA #40578

Old 07-17-2013, 11:34 PM   #4
Jan from Finland
Registered

Oddometer: 562
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaY YreKa View Post
Thank you mate

If I have read your post right, my son will need a provisional licence in each country, but if he passes the A2 test (the one we would aim for, aged 19) that should be valid across Europe, no matter where he takes the test?
Nope. It's allways your country of residence which issues your licence. You may take the test elsewhere but they will not issue you a licence. Your country of residence will compare curriculums and deside if additional training is needed. Licence is valid across Europe as a tourist for months. If you take a new residence you have to exchange the licence to that country. You can't have provisional licences. You have just one from your county of residence.

That's how it goes in the EU. I don't know if the UK and France have additional agreements in place.
- Pro Travel Tip by Overland Journal
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jan from Finland screwed with this post 07-17-2013 at 11:43 PM
Jan from Finland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 02:41 AM   #5
GiorgioXT
Beastly Adventurer

as said Jan , your son will have to get his licence in his country of residence - then the license e.g. A1 (limited to 125cc <15 kw bikes) will be valid in all europe

There's lot of talk about, because there are situations - eg. double citizenship Italian/UK where in Italy you could legally obtain an A2 licence at 18 years when in UK are 19, but EU treaties impose both the free movements of people and equal acceptance of other EU countries licenses ...

Anyway, the bottom line is to get the licence where one is living/using it more .
DRZ400 S '03 XT600 '90 XT550 '82 XT500 '81 - giorgioxt@email.it - www.polverosi.org - EchM#645
Old 08-08-2013, 01:54 PM   #6
RaY YreKa OP
I Am the Mayor

The conversation with his mother may not go well.

Thanks guys.

Looks like I'll have to wait until he is 19+ and send him the money for an A2 test in France, even if he claims dual-citizenship at aged 16.
IBA #40578

Old 08-08-2013, 03:13 PM   #7
GiorgioXT
Beastly Adventurer

Here more info from EU

http://europa.eu/rapid/press-release_MEMO-13-10_en.htm
Old 08-09-2013, 03:58 AM   #8
alicethomas
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 428
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaY YreKa View Post
... even if he claims dual-citizenship at aged 16.
Nobody cares about the citizenship, you might come from Turkey or India as well.
The driving license must be is issued from the (principal) residence (>= 185 continuous days) authorities.
No "driving license tourism".
alicethomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 03:28 PM   #9
duffs
It's been useful

Oddometer: 1,200
Ray - not sure if this helps but give the link a go.

It is perfectly legal to use a European licence in the UK with no restrictions for 3 years of residency, after which you can exchange it for a UK licence without taking any road tests. Otherwise, the UK recognises any EU licence the same as a UK licence.

Not sure if France is the same, however, with non French EU licences.

Blog: Gelände Straßetastic! Facebook Tumblr
Ride reports, photos, tips, experiences, general twaddle
duffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 05:00 AM   #10
overlandr
Dystopist

Oddometer: 5,856
Interesting. In Australia, its completely different from EU. Apart from tourists, every new arrival must take a full riding test regardless of what license they already have. If they have been riding before, then the only concession is that they are permitted to fastrack through the provisional phase. However, if they fail any part of the test then they must start the whole procedure again with no provisional concessions. Yes we are over governed.
overlandr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 10:42 AM   #11
duffs
It's been useful

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlandr View Post
Interesting. In Australia, its completely different from EU. Apart from tourists, every new arrival must take a full riding test regardless of what license they already have. If they have been riding before, then the only concession is that they are permitted to fastrack through the provisional phase. However, if they fail any part of the test then they must start the whole procedure again with no provisional concessions. Yes we are over governed.
But are the drivers better as a result? I'm guessing probably no different than anywhere else... apart from Germany perhaps, they are probably the most consistent of the places I've been.

Old 08-27-2013, 06:53 PM   #12
overlandr
Dystopist

Oddometer: 5,856
Quote:
Originally Posted by duffs View Post
But are the drivers better as a result? I'm guessing probably no different than anywhere else... apart from Germany perhaps, they are probably the most consistent of the places I've been.
Hopefully. Bear in mind that our intake is from any other country in the world - not only the EU states like you guys. Anyone whom has taken a MC test in Asia (say Indonesia) will be aware how much tests can vary. I have and it lasted 5 minutes and consisted of slow speed bike control on an off road course.
overlandr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 12:12 PM   #13
Kennon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 281
Direct access term is only used for when your at the age you can get a full power license it used to be 21 now its 24, 47bhp is the A2 restricted license, European licenses from another country are supposed to be changed for the one of the country after a year legally but I've known enough people who have never been asked to change a polish license to a uk even though they've been in the uk for years. Same with vehicles they can be used on UK plates in a another country for a year as long as you have a GB sign on the license plate as required.

2009 Yamaha Jog 50RR LC sold 2011
2011 Rieju Marathon Pro 125 SM sold 2013
1990 Honda VFR 400 NC30 purchased 2013
Kennon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 04:08 PM   #14
duffs
It's been useful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kennon View Post
Direct access term is only used for when your at the age you can get a full power license it used to be 21 now its 24, 47bhp is the A2 restricted license, European licenses from another country are supposed to be changed for the one of the country after a year legally but I've known enough people who have never been asked to change a polish license to a uk even though they've been in the uk for years. Same with vehicles they can be used on UK plates in a another country for a year as long as you have a GB sign on the license plate as required.
After 3 years for EU licences and 1 year for non-EU a resident won't be asked to change the licence, but their insurance will be invalid and if they get stopped the police would view them as unlicenced and uninsured... 6 points, minimum £300 fine, mandatory impounding of vehicle and possible loss of licence (once exchanged) and/or imprisonment (for example if drunk and/or caused serious injury/death).

Old 09-03-2013, 12:37 PM   #15
kristof-lars
Adventurer

Oddometer: 91
im getting my motorcycle licence shortly here in canada the licence will be a learner one for 9 months which includes these restrictions:
-no night time riding
-no passenger
-no towing
-maintain a zero blood alcohol level

CAA will issue me a international drivers which will state i have a class 6 learners level anyone have any idea what this will mean in france when im living there? im 29 and have had my full licence since i was 15 1/2 no infractions i will only be in france for a year maximum and the learners restrictions are as above, would it simply translate? would i have to adhere to a learner restrictions in france? if so what are they?

i really want to get my licence here as it would only cost me 240 with the rebate for taking the longer course my sister said its much more of a process over there costing over 1000 euros and much more classes etc i may be splitting hairs here and im sure it would be up to the officer if he wanted to give me a ticket or just not bother but if i had some sort of documentation saying my licence was equal would it help having it before hand and just hand it over with all my other information if i was questioned?
kristof-lars is offline   Reply With Quote