Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Europe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-04-2013, 04:40 AM   #16
Kennon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 281
wow that is reall restrictive, on a CBT in the UK you can't have a pillion never knew if you could or couldn't tow anything not sure I would of wanted to tow anything with a 50cc scooter or a peaky supermoto, the alcohol thing is just common sense but no riding at night, isn't it safer at night less vehicles about, used to ride from maybe 10pm till 5am in the morning on random trips to the seaside at night with mates because we were bored 16/17 year olds.

2009 Yamaha Jog 50RR LC sold 2011
2011 Rieju Marathon Pro 125 SM sold 2013
1990 Honda VFR 400 NC30 purchased 2013
Kennon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 11:55 AM   #17
duffs
It's been useful

Oddometer: 1,200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kennon View Post
wow that is reall restrictive, on a CBT in the UK you can't have a pillion never knew if you could or couldn't tow anything not sure I would of wanted to tow anything with a 50cc scooter or a peaky supermoto, the alcohol thing is just common sense but no riding at night, isn't it safer at night less vehicles about, used to ride from maybe 10pm till 5am in the morning on random trips to the seaside at night with mates because we were bored 16/17 year olds.
With CBT it's max 125cc and 11kW + no pillion + no trailer + no motorway... (reference)

But yeah Canada has some mad graduated licensing, I lived there for nearly 20 years and slipped in under the radar before all that came into place... but got royally screwed when moving back to the UK - there is a licence exchange programme but Canadian licences come with an automatic-only restriction when converted to UK so I had to do my driving test here on a manual, plus my theory and riding tests for motorcycle... in the end nearly £1000, and that was passing all the tests first try.

Blog: Gelände Straßetastic! Facebook Tumblr
Ride reports, photos, tips, experiences, general twaddle
duffs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 12:00 PM   #18
duffs
It's been useful

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristof-lars View Post
im getting my motorcycle licence shortly here in canada the licence will be a learner one for 9 months which includes these restrictions:
-no night time riding
-no passenger
-no towing
-maintain a zero blood alcohol level

CAA will issue me a international drivers which will state i have a class 6 learners level anyone have any idea what this will mean in france when im living there? im 29 and have had my full licence since i was 15 1/2 no infractions i will only be in france for a year maximum and the learners restrictions are as above, would it simply translate? would i have to adhere to a learner restrictions in france? if so what are they?

i really want to get my licence here as it would only cost me 240 with the rebate for taking the longer course my sister said its much more of a process over there costing over 1000 euros and much more classes etc i may be splitting hairs here and im sure it would be up to the officer if he wanted to give me a ticket or just not bother but if i had some sort of documentation saying my licence was equal would it help having it before hand and just hand it over with all my other information if i was questioned?
Non-EU learner licences are not legal in the EU. If you got stopped, you would be done for no licence, no insurance and get to pay for towing/impounding of your vehicle. Plus, in France, more than likely arrested (they are very strict with licensing and insurance). As a guide, in the UK the fine for no licence is max £5,000 + max 6 months in prison, and the fine for no insurance is max £2,500 and min 6 months disqualification - France will likely be even more severe. Best to pass your test(s) in Canada before riding here or you'll start from nought if you re-apply in the EU.

Not sure what happens with restrictions due to graduated licensing however, probably one for the French equivalent of our DVLA. However, since licensing is, for the most part, harmonised now in the EU, it would be a fairly safe bet to assume the restrictions would be similar or the same as the UK's (ie you would probably fall into category A2). See this page for info.

duffs screwed with this post 09-04-2013 at 12:08 PM
Old 09-04-2013, 01:04 PM   #19
Kennon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 281
forgot about the motorway thing no motorways apart from the A1M when I was at college then just did my license and forgot about that part the 15bhp thing though how many people flauted that rule my SM was rated at 24bhp when you unplugged the a resistor in the CDI.

2009 Yamaha Jog 50RR LC sold 2011
2011 Rieju Marathon Pro 125 SM sold 2013
1990 Honda VFR 400 NC30 purchased 2013
Kennon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 01:18 PM   #20
kristof-lars
Adventurer

Oddometer: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by duffs View Post
Non-EU learner licences are not legal in the EU. If you got stopped, you would be done for no licence, no insurance and get to pay for towing/impounding of your vehicle. Plus, in France, more than likely arrested (they are very strict with licensing and insurance). As a guide, in the UK the fine for no licence is max £5,000 + max 6 months in prison, and the fine for no insurance is max £2,500 and min 6 months disqualification - France will likely be even more severe. Best to pass your test(s) in Canada before riding here or you'll start from nought if you re-apply in the EU.

Not sure what happens with restrictions due to graduated licensing however, probably one for the French equivalent of our DVLA. However, since licensing is, for the most part, harmonised now in the EU, it would be a fairly safe bet to assume the restrictions would be similar or the same as the UK's (ie you would probably fall into category A2). See this page for info.

yerah i signed up this morning for the motorcycle course should have my licence bye oct 20th and yes i did some research i too think the A2 is what id be under but i have my sister in france calling to see whats up, guess we will see in a little bit im fine with restrictions but really didnt want to be stuck with a bike under 34hp my bike wont be over a 650cc enduro style for sure or id just use my brother in laws bike for a bit a 660 ktm super moto :)
kristof-lars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 02:13 PM   #21
duffs
It's been useful

Quote:
yerah i signed up this morning for the motorcycle course should have my licence bye oct 20th and yes i did some research i too think the A2 is what id be under but i have my sister in france calling to see whats up, guess we will see in a little bit im fine with restrictions but really didnt want to be stuck with a bike under 34hp my bike wont be over a 650cc enduro style for sure or id just use my brother in laws bike for a bit a 660 ktm super moto :)
You could always fast track to a full A licence using France's equivalent to the DAS... btw France has a cap of 74kW/100hp for bikes...

Old 09-04-2013, 02:31 PM   #22
kristof-lars
Adventurer

100hp way more than id need i just wanted to be able to buy the bike i want one id have for a while and leave it there with my in laws if and when i leave although a ktm 990 adv is 115hp that would be an ideal bike and its just over is it rear wheel hp or off the engine? is it factory spec or can you get a dyno sheet?
Old 09-04-2013, 02:50 PM   #23
duffs
It's been useful

Quote:
100hp way more than id need i just wanted to be able to buy the bike i want one id have for a while and leave it there with my in laws if and when i leave although a ktm 990 adv is 115hp that would be an ideal bike and its just over is it rear wheel hp or off the engine? is it factory spec or can you get a dyno sheet?
Any French reg bike you buy there will be restricted from the factory... however if you buy a bike abroad (with more than 100hp) and import it, things can get very expensive.

Oddly on BMW's french website most of their high powered models are neutered to 107hp (taking advantage of a tolerance loophole presumably), apart from the HP4 which is full power. Not sure how they get around the regulation, maybe the HP4 is sold for track use only...

Loutre can you comment?

Old 09-04-2013, 03:27 PM   #24
SuzukiScottie
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlandr View Post
Interesting. In Australia, its completely different from EU. Apart from tourists, every new arrival must take a full riding test regardless of what license they already have. If they have been riding before, then the only concession is that they are permitted to fastrack through the provisional phase. However, if they fail any part of the test then they must start the whole procedure again with no provisional concessions. Yes we are over governed.
In Victoria, you go to Vicroads if you require a Victorian licence. Fill out the form, pay a couple of hundre $ for a new photocard licence, and all licence categories are transferred except for professional licence caregories (heavy goods truck and bus).

There is no additional test for a licence holder with a motorcycle category. Your new victorian licence just gets a "R" appended to it, signifying "Rider".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
SuzukiScottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 03:23 AM   #25
Loutre
Cosmopolitan Adv

Oddometer: 3,438
Here I am sorry for keeping it short but till next week I only have my phone to answer.. Well in france each bike you buy is restricted to 100hp but since that is not alxays possible they sometimes can push it to 107 like bmw does. Anyway: some people have a full power bike here but in their papers they are listed as 100hp bikes. Since there is no check it's fine until you have an accident and insurance might check (they only do it on some bikes like hayabusa). When you buy it somewhere else ie full power you certanly need a paper from a local mechanic that says that you have down poweres it. The new A2 licence is kibda odd since it depends where you passed it in europe. In france until you are 24 you are restricted to 48hp like everywhere else in europe but then you need to pass thr licence again to get full hp.. Not the case in germany where you pass dire tly to full hp. Wunderlich offers a kit to downpower every bmw to 48hp. I've met a german A2 who bought as his first bike a r1200s with that kit and it was fine.
if you buy a bike in an other country make sure that it is 6 month old -at least- otherwise due to a european convention you'll need to pay extra tax to import it.

Hope this helped otherwise just scream ;-)
cheers
Tom
You can be imitated but not replaced. You're such a special blend the recipe is guarded like KFC's 11 herbs and spices.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaver View Post

Loutre is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 03:25 AM   #26
Loutre
Cosmopolitan Adv

I think you'll be able to get a dyno kit but I'll need to ask my mechanic for that and I wont be home before next week
You can be imitated but not replaced. You're such a special blend the recipe is guarded like KFC's 11 herbs and spices.
Quote:

Old 09-05-2013, 10:08 AM   #27
kristof-lars
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loutre View Post
Here I am sorry for keeping it short but till next week I only have my phone to answer.. Well in france each bike you buy is restricted to 100hp but since that is not alxays possible they sometimes can push it to 107 like bmw does. Anyway: some people have a full power bike here but in their papers they are listed as 100hp bikes. Since there is no check it's fine until you have an accident and insurance might check (they only do it on some bikes like hayabusa). When you buy it somewhere else ie full power you certanly need a paper from a local mechanic that says that you have down poweres it. The new A2 licence is kibda odd since it depends where you passed it in europe. In france until you are 24 you are restricted to 48hp like everywhere else in europe but then you need to pass thr licence again to get full hp.. Not the case in germany where you pass dire tly to full hp. Wunderlich offers a kit to downpower every bmw to 48hp. I've met a german A2 who bought as his first bike a r1200s with that kit and it was fine.
if you buy a bike in an other country make sure that it is 6 month old -at least- otherwise due to a european convention you'll need to pay extra tax to import it.

Hope this helped otherwise just scream ;-)
cheers

Tom
very helpful my brother in laws friend is a bike mechanic so i should be able to get any paperwork from him needed but in all reality i wont have a bike over 100hp for a while if ever like i said the ktm 990 ADV would be my ideal bike but looking at triumph tiger Xc aswell but those bikes are beyond my skill range at the moment, the real question in my licence i will have my tiered licence when i leave canada and will have a interantional licence that will just translate whats on mine which will be a class 6 with learners restrictions just not sure how that will go over there if they will recognize it or if the restrictions will transfer over seas? like i said the closest equavalent would be an A2 i mean i can just get that when im over there but the extra cost and time is a waste but if need be i will do it anyone know the total cost and time to do the A2 direct licence in france?

thanks
Old 09-05-2013, 02:10 PM   #28
Loutre
Cosmopolitan Adv

I know that a friends american licence wasnt conversible and he needed to pass the licence again. That was before all that new licence fuzz. If you get the international licence than you could maybe rent a bike - that is what they are for(?)-
anyhow: passing the licence here will cost you about 550e and about two month time. If you want to take that licence than you'll meed to pass the theoretical exam first about another 150e (some driving schools won't charge you if you take after that the pratical lessons at their place. They are rare.. Anyway the th-exam is 40 questions with multiple answers, if you have nore than 5 mistakes than you are out and need to pay 90e to pass it again. Normaly you can't begin to take driving lessons before having this exam but depending of the person in charge you cam bend that rule..
anyway don't forget that many people apply to these tests and often you'll need about 2weeks up to a month time before getting a place for an exam. The inscription time needs one month since your documents will need to go to a certain administration and in france they're not known to be the fastest. All in all you'll need about 3 months (if you get enough lessons and a place ib a exam)
Quote:

Old 09-05-2013, 03:02 PM   #29
duffs
It's been useful

Quote:
very helpful my brother in laws friend is a bike mechanic so i should be able to get any paperwork from him needed but in all reality i wont have a bike over 100hp for a while if ever like i said the ktm 990 ADV would be my ideal bike but looking at triumph tiger Xc aswell but those bikes are beyond my skill range at the moment, the real question in my licence i will have my tiered licence when i leave canada and will have a interantional licence that will just translate whats on mine which will be a class 6 with learners restrictions just not sure how that will go over there if they will recognize it or if the restrictions will transfer over seas? like i said the closest equavalent would be an A2 i mean i can just get that when im over there but the extra cost and time is a waste but if need be i will do it anyone know the total cost and time to do the A2 direct licence in france?

thanks
Really sorry I completely missed an obvious thing here... Canada has an agreement for licence exchange with the UK only due to the commonwealth... I don't think you can exchange directly for a french licence... If you can secure a UK address temporarily you should be able to do it here however but best to do a bit of reading/research beforehand to find out if that is legal...

Once you have a UK licence you can exchange for any other EU licence provided you are a resident of that country.

Old 09-05-2013, 03:09 PM   #30
kristof-lars
Adventurer

ill see i got my sister looking into it and ill be over there for a year so at some point i should probably get my licence switched over just was wondering about the initial part of me getting there i wont have a car but i have bikes available to me. i have lots of time to figure it out and its not going to cost me much here to get my cdn one so im just going to do it and have it for when i return and i also heard once you get your licence in france its forever you dont have to renew it like here? if thats the case ill just get mine for there as ill be back there through out my life if i dont end up staying there after my visa is up