Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-05-2013, 02:10 PM   #31
duffs
It's been useful

Oddometer: 1,186
Quote:
Originally Posted by kristof-lars View Post
ill see i got my sister looking into it and ill be over there for a year so at some point i should probably get my licence switched over just was wondering about the initial part of me getting there i wont have a car but i have bikes available to me. i have lots of time to figure it out and its not going to cost me much here to get my cdn one so im just going to do it and have it for when i return and i also heard once you get your licence in france its forever you dont have to renew it like here? if thats the case ill just get mine for there as ill be back there through out my life if i dont end up staying there after my visa is up
If it's the same as the UK the licence doesn't get renewed until you're 70 or 75 years old, but the photocard needs to be updated every 10 years.

Blog: Gelände Straßetastic! Facebook Tumblr
Ride reports, photos, tips, experiences, general twaddle
duffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 02:12 AM   #32
Loutre
Cosmopolitan Adv

Oddometer: 3,272
Yep your licence here is for life except the bus and lorry driving licence which needs to be renewed every 5 years through out a medical exam.. Well that being said the new european licence after january 19th of this year need to be renewed every 15 years through a medical exam. So make sure to stop by every now and then
You can be imitated but not replaced. You're such a special blend the recipe is guarded like KFC's 11 herbs and spices.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaver View Post

Loutre is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 03:21 PM   #33
RaY YreKa OP
I Am the Mayor

Oddometer: 16,131
Glad the thread had some legs.

I guess my confusion is why Euro-wide licencing laws didn't mean a Euro-wide set of rules for crossing the border, since the whole EU ethos is the free movement of trade and peoples.

Anyway, it's looks like the simplest solution to my original problem/goal is to pay for my son to do the A2 licence in France when he is 19, and then hopefully hire an A2 compliant bike for him to ride when he is with me in the UK.

Much less fun, much less father/son bonding, later biking fun than I would like, but I guess that's what we get for being a true Euro/dual-heritage family..
IBA #40578

shine on, you crazy emo diamond
RaY YreKa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 01:54 PM   #34
Dr LC8
...soon or later

Oddometer: 809
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaY YreKa View Post
OK, my son is approaching 16, which means I will pay for a 'chicken chaser', 50cc, scooter CBT so he gets a taste/feel for 2-wheels.

At 17, I can pay for a full 125cc CBT, and at 19 a 47bhp 'direct access' course in the UK.

But, here's the rub, he is resident in France; he stays with me for Easter and Summer, and alternate December/Jan.

My experience of French bureaucracy is not good, and I know that registering a UK bike in France is a nightmare.

So, here's my euro question; if I pay for all his training in the UK, will the French recognise the licence?

Or shall I just transfer him the money to his French bank account, and cut out all the fun?

I would much rather be with him, in the UK, riding, even if I have to buy two 125cc bikes to do it.

Mi full EU (Italian) drive licence is fully recon here in UK. As UK and France are part of the EU it shouldn't be a problem at all. What it might happen is that if he is resident in France he might have to commute his licence into a French one at one stage.

I hope this help,

Nic
2010 KTM 400 EXC
Trips:Europe,Africa,Asia
Dr LC8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 10:37 AM   #35
RaY YreKa OP
I Am the Mayor

Oddometer: 16,131
I rang my local training centre and they said just send off for a provisional licence at 16/17 and book a CBT.

I contacted MAG via Facebook and they said France doesn't have a CBT equivalent, so maybe he can ride 125cc here after all .

If that's so, he can get a taster with me and then do his A2 in France if he wants to. That's how I hope it pans out.
IBA #40578

shine on, you crazy emo diamond
RaY YreKa is offline   Reply With Quote