Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-17-2013, 09:53 PM   #31
Bill Harris
Confirmed Curmudgeon

Oddometer: 6,917
Mista Vern has it down pat:
"I find it's best for the heart not to keep track of such things as costs."

Costs at beau coup bucks. Haven't kept up over 40 years. But I'm sure it's less than the cost of several new bikes over that timeperiod.

Let's put it this way. On my every-few-years major A&P on my bike, over the next few weeks I'll be bolting on almost as much in parts as the bike is worth. And will end up with a bike that is, to me, priceless.

Corollary to the Vern exposition: ya cain't take it with you.

--Bill
Old 07-17-2013, 11:18 PM   #32
Houseoffubar
fine beer sampler

Oddometer: 1,758
I'm about $5.000 into mine so far, but I figure I can get a cool $3.500 out of her when done!
Doubt I could ever sell her though.
Old 07-17-2013, 11:58 PM   #33
Box'a'bits
In need of repair

Oddometer: 2,072

Last time I added it all up I've got about US$7k in Gus, excluding normal maintenance items, & including the US$2.7k purchase price. I could probably sell here in NZ for about US$2.7k so economically the extra spend wasn't justified. I've had him 3 yrs, so an okay spend over that time, & way less than I'd lose to depreciation if I bought a newer bike.

Someone called Gus a bitsa the other day, & I was a little offended for about a minute. At 218,000 kms there was never going to be value in an 'as new' restoration. There is some pride in wear patina (but not rust).

I doubt that I'd ever sell.

1/2 the fun of Gus is changing things. My wife knows I'm a happier person if I've spent some time riding or pottering around in the garage. Best not to let the wife see the spend spreadsheet though (she does know generalities but doesn't need to see things laid out baldly)..

It's just better when there's twins involved....
Box'a'bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 12:36 AM   #34
chollo9
Screwed the Pooch

Oddometer: 1,183
Are you nuts? My wife can access this site!
Old 07-18-2013, 12:57 AM   #35
Malindi
Zen Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,395
Bikes are not cheap. Prior to my 2006 round the world, I planned everything as much as I could (yes, I am a bit OCD). It was not cheap. Here’s a link to my 2006 budget and actuals, including the 2006-2007 trip costs. I bought the bike in Arizona, sight unseen. Flew there, rode it back, stripped off stuff I didn’t want (see sold items under “Other”) and built what I wanted. It worked well, as I am currently, 7 years later, on a 2nd round the world trip and all I really changed out on the G/S are the Touratech bags (there were crap).

http://www.nohorizons.net/Pages/RTW%20costs.htm

Since owing my ‘83 R80RT, bought in 1999, I spent $41,600 on it, purchase, fuel, insurance (about $1,000/year in Canada), repairs and maintenance (own labor, just parts) over 220,000 kms (137,500 miles)

$40,350 on the G/S over 136,000 kms (85,000 miles)

36.8 cents per mile fully blended for both bikes. Not bad if you see the cost of new bikes and insurance etc.

Given what people spend on new bikes, it’s a steal to ride an airhead, but the costs can be astronomical in real numbers if you ride a lot and travel a lot on it.
I don’t even want to know what I spent on shipping the thing around on my current trip …. 

So it really all depends on how dysfunctional you want to get, but it can get real bad…. 

Wait till I get back home and start doing a frame-up rebuild conversion on my RT to shed the fairing and go with an “S” fairing like this guy did:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=879502
Old 07-18-2013, 12:58 AM   #36
gsd4me
90% bluff

Oddometer: 7,131
As with my bike, this one was also built up from various parts. The builder/owner gives a rough estimate of northwards of Au$30,000.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...uild+australia
gsd4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 03:32 AM   #37
Ron Bernert
hiding in plain sight

Oddometer: 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by offtrackplanet View Post
Ron, that's how I envision building up my first airhead...I'm trying to find one that's very mechanically sound I can start riding right away with just the minimal maintenance and upgrade/customize as I go along. I got my eye on a '78 R100/7 at the moment going for $3k that seems to be running well and has been fairly well maintained.

I live around OTR/Downtown in Cincinnati.
I've got a couple of suggestions, then.. On Tuesday nights, there's a bike night at The Comet on Hamilton Ave. People get together around 7:00 or so, and there's a few airheads that show up. On Thursday's there is O'Malley's in the Alley. Show up, ask questions, kick tires.

Try Lenny at Autobahn Kraftwerks in Northside, while you're at it. He may be able to check it out for you.

An R100 is a great bike that you can grow in to, tour on, ride it in town and it'll serve you well if you maintain it. The key is NOT counting the pennies, buying quality parts and not running it into the ground.

'77 BMW R100RS euro, '95 BMW R1100GS, '71 BMW R75/5 SWB, '68 BMW R60/2 (in boxes), '82 Suzuki GS450, '98 Triumph Thunderbird Sport
Ron Bernert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 03:46 AM   #38
Ron Bernert
hiding in plain sight

Oddometer: 242
Oh, and $3K for a well maintained R100, clean title and decent looking isn't a bad price.

'77 BMW R100RS euro, '95 BMW R1100GS, '71 BMW R75/5 SWB, '68 BMW R60/2 (in boxes), '82 Suzuki GS450, '98 Triumph Thunderbird Sport
Ron Bernert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 03:53 AM   #39
gsd4me
90% bluff

Oddometer: 7,131
Quote:
Originally Posted by backdrifter View Post

Less certainly is more in this case; very nice.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...uild+australia
gsd4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 03:59 AM   #40
some_guy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 144
Bought my 95 R100RT last summer for $2150. It was pretty much road worthy then, but not that pretty. I've put somewhere around $500 into it mostly in BMW parts; cables, rubber bits, carb rebuild kit, caliper rebuild, so on. Still not that pretty but hey, at least I'm not riding a GSXR like every other kid I know.
some_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 08:44 AM   #41
offtrackplanet OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Bernert View Post
On Tuesday nights, there's a bike night at The Comet on Hamilton Ave. People get together around 7:00 or so, and there's a few airheads that show up. On Thursday's there is O'Malley's in the Alley. Show up, ask questions, kick tires.

Try Lenny at Autobahn Kraftwerks in Northside, while you're at it. He may be able to check it out for you.

An R100 is a great bike that you can grow in to, tour on, ride it in town and it'll serve you well if you maintain it. The key is NOT counting the pennies, buying quality parts and not running it into the ground.
Thanks so much for the feedback Ron! I will definitely check out both.

So far, even before owning an Airhead I'm already extremely excited about how passionate the community is!
offtrackplanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 08:53 AM   #42
offtrackplanet OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Bernert View Post
Oh, and $3K for a well maintained R100, clean title and decent looking isn't a bad price.
Here's the one I'm looking at...I wouldn't say it's decent looking right now but I'm not worried about cosmetics. What I like about it is that I got in touch with the previous owner whose restored 4 other airheads and was able to tell me all about the maintenance and mechanical repairs/upates he's done to it. The current owner hasn't put too many miles on it since. Still look like a good buy for $3k?

offtrackplanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 09:17 AM   #43
hardwaregrrl
ignore list

Oddometer: 7,053
Quote:
Here's the one I'm looking at...I wouldn't say it's decent looking right now but I'm not worried about cosmetics. What I like about it is that I got in touch with the previous owner whose restored 4 other airheads and was able to tell me all about the maintenance and mechanical repairs/upates he's done to it. The current owner hasn't put too many miles on it since. Still look like a good buy for $3k?
I think that is a fair price for the bike as it sits....the fact that you have a good maintence record is icing on the cake! Good for you!!
hardwaregrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 09:22 AM   #44
Malindi
Zen Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,395
Quote:

No bags
No rear frame for bags
Lester mags (not stock, there were some issues with some of them)
Napoleon bar end mirrors (ok if you like it, not stock)
Tank, side cover and front fender different colors ..
Newer dome carbs (better)
Newer non-stock exhaust (stainless? = good)
No grab rail (not a stock seat pan by the looks of it)

It all depends on how well it was maintained, whether it's been ridden a lot (better) or sat for years (bad).

$3K seems high.
Old 07-18-2013, 09:31 AM   #45
backdrifter
Wannabe rider

Oddometer: 1,363
Quote:
That's awesome, it's a beauty!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsd4me View Post
Less certainly is more in this case; very nice.
Thanks much, gents!

Take this with a grain of salt and just as a random comparison, but this bike at Michael's Motorcycles is $3,995. I think it looks quite nice, even if you're not into the cafe racer style.

http://www.michaelsmotorcycles.com/B...eracer712.html

1973 BMW R60/5:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=608166
backdrifter is offline   Reply With Quote