Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-19-2013, 11:49 AM   #61
offtrackplanet OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by backdrifter View Post
Take this with a grain of salt and just as a random comparison, but this bike at Michael's Motorcycles is $3,995. I think it looks quite nice, even if you're not into the cafe racer style.
http://www.michaelsmotorcycles.com/B...eracer712.html
So I found out about this bike, it started off as an R100RT. It belonged to late father of a guy who owns a BMW motorcycle dealership who converted it into a cafe racer 3 years ago and hasn't been ridden much since. Can someone tell me about the upgrades on this bike? I know it has the Mikuni carb on it which I've read mixed reviews about (strange that it has a single disc brake if it was an RT). Anyway, I'm not sure if it rides as clean as it looks - kinda hard to pass up for $4k though, no?

offtrackplanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 01:07 PM   #62
melville
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,320
Started with this:

Looks better in this pic than it actually was. 40th birthday gift, she figured I'd be working on it for a l o n g time. So five years later (not quite long enough!), at maybe $1,000 per year:

and

And now I'm putting the next 35 years of patina on it.
Call me Mel. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me at home, I thought I would ride about a little and see the other parts of the world. It is a way I have of driving off the spleen and regulating the circulation.
melville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 01:33 PM   #63
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer: 8,175
Quote:
Originally Posted by offtrackplanet View Post
So I found out about this bike, it started off as an R100RT. It belonged to late father of a guy who owns a BMW motorcycle dealership who converted it into a cafe racer 3 years ago and hasn't been ridden much since. Can someone tell me about the upgrades on this bike? I know it has the Mikuni carb on it which I've read mixed reviews about (strange that it has a single disc brake if it was an RT). Anyway, I'm not sure if it rides as clean as it looks - kinda hard to pass up for $4k though, no?

Those are Flat Side Mikuni's I believe. If they are set up and jetted right they should be an improvement in performance. However, improving performance and Airhead are sometimes a strange mix. If this was the only performance improvement most of afectinadoes of such things will not be impressed.

Pretty standard Cafe type, solo custom seat, short bars which may or may not be Magura, bar end mirrors and a different muffler.

The battery has been placed under the seal cowling in the rear. Or is that it in the stock position? The front fender has been shortened to the point of being useless. A lot of nice paint was applied to everything, it looks like.

The questions you should have asked are, "What cam shaft was used?", "When were the cylinder heads last rebuilt?", "What work was done, i.e. valve seats?", "What size and type of pistons are in the jugs?"

You do not say what year this R100RT was to begin with. Maybe it is Nicklesil vintage, which is a plus, but it has a twin shock frame so I can't tell you. If you take some more fotos and put in your very own thread about this bike the experts here can probably tell you more.

I think you got an OK deal. If you like it is the thing that maters. To return this to some what stock configuration would not be cheap. It looks like you no longer have the OEM speedo and this leads me to suspect that you may not have the OEM wiring. A look inside the front engine cover would also be helpful.

Good Luck with it. Any idea how many miles since the conversion? And total miles?

Pay your debt, piratejohn.http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
disston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 01:39 PM   #64
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer: 8,175
Quote:
Originally Posted by melville View Post
Started with this:

And now I'm putting the next 35 years of patina on it.
Fairings do not do very well in today's market. But those do a little better than most of the common ones. That's a Hannigan and they are also still being made so parts for them are also available (I bought a new wiring harness last year). If nobody buys it right away hang onto it for a while if you can. Like most fashions, this one will return.

Pay your debt, piratejohn.http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
disston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 01:46 PM   #65
backdrifter
Wannabe rider

Oddometer: 1,363
Quote:
Originally Posted by disston View Post
If you take some more fotos and put in your very own thread about this bike the experts here can probably tell you more.

I think you got an OK deal.
I don't believe he's purchased it yet. There are more pictures of the bike at the link I originally posted:

http://www.michaelsmotorcycles.com/B...eracer712.html

1973 BMW R60/5:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=608166
backdrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 02:23 PM   #66
dm635
Let's Roll

Oddometer: 361
Man, a lot of cabbage spent on some of these bikes. I paid $2,500 for a running R80. Only have several hundred in mine doing maintenance & tires. If it needs attention it gets taken care of, just been lucky I suppose. I could bring this bike to restored condition, but it's a rider and will get what it needs as it needs it.

I've gone through spending way too much on other projects over the years and plan to keep this airhead in reliable shape without going overboard.
Old 07-19-2013, 02:52 PM   #67
Max Headroom
lost in the '70s

Oddometer: 503
I bought a worn out and completely dismantled R90S several years ago. It only had a few redeeming features such as matching numbers and a personalised rego plate.

Very little of the original bike was able to be salvaged for the restoration. Most of the finished machine was either new or mint second hand, The "resto-mod" restoration was completed seven years ago, although a cosmetic makeover was required two years ago after the bike fell over while parked.

The bike has now done 30,000km over the last seven years. It has proved to be very reliable and enjoyable to ride. Two people who have ridden it have since bought their own R90S!

The cost of the restoration was well into five digits, just for parts, bodywork painting, vapour blasting etc. My labour was free.

The bike was used as the photographic centrepiece of an R90S article published in a local magazine last year.

"Don't worry, it's not loaded."
last words of Chicago's Terry Kath before shooting himself in 1978
Max Headroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 05:24 PM   #68
Pokie
Just plain Pokie.

Oddometer: 743
What's cheaper, a shrink or a therapeutic airhead build? Hmmmmm,.....
Pokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 06:41 PM   #69
Padmei
enamoured

Oddometer: 3,362
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Headroom View Post

The bike was used as the photographic centrepiece of an R90S article published in a local magazine last year.
URL]
That article is constant reading material in my dunny- nice bike max
Padmei is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 09:01 AM   #70
offtrackplanet OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Bernert View Post
That's a good idea of what you'll have in it.. Here's the thing- you can buy a good, running bike for less than your budget. Plan on a few hundred for things like tires, tubes and a FULL service to get you aquainted with the bike. The rest spent on the bike is in yearly maintenance, preventative maintenance, upgrades, wish lists etc.. On my '77 R100RS, the buy-in was $3K. I put $500.00 in battery, oil, tires etc and rode it for almost a year (as my primary bike).. before I needed to do another $500.00 to it. Then came the added parts, the Billet triple clamp, etc.
Basically, what I'm rambling about is to buy a decent runner and build it up slowly.

Where in Cincy are you?
I ended up picking up the '78 R100/7 for $3k and I'm SUPER happy about the shape it's in, much better than I anticipated

Old 07-23-2013, 10:18 AM   #71
Rinty
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 537
Quote:
Originally Posted by offtrackplanet View Post
I ended up picking up the '78 R100/7 for $3k and I'm SUPER happy about the shape it's in, much better than I anticipated
Looks like you got a great deal.

And I just noticed the 2 into 1: bonus!
Rinty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 05:37 AM   #72
Ron Bernert
hiding in plain sight

Oddometer: 216
NICE! I like the Lesters! I've been told to check the bearings and hubs on Lester wheels carefully. If and when you do a tire change, take the time to repack the bearings and inspect them. I've had a few sets in my sights but have yet to pull the trigger on them..

'77 BMW R100RS euro, '95 BMW R1100GS, '71 BMW R75/5 SWB, '68 BMW R60/2 (in boxes), '82 Suzuki GS450, '98 Triumph Thunderbird Sport
Ron Bernert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 05:27 PM   #73
offtrackplanet OP
Adventurer

Quote:
NICE! I like the Lesters! I've been told to check the bearings and hubs on Lester wheels carefully. If and when you do a tire change, take the time to repack the bearings and inspect them. I've had a few sets in my sights but have yet to pull the trigger on them..
I'm actually not a big fan of the way the Lesters look, kinda prefer spoke wheels. Took it to Lenny yesterday at craft autowerks. Gonna have them put some new tires on and do all the regular maintenance. I mentioned someone from Oxford recommended me and he said one of your bikes are there?
Old 07-25-2013, 08:39 AM   #74
StephenB
G(/)S ... what else!

Oddometer: 2,046
Build from parts, not a refurb.

Cost: I'd rather not say ( = 10k+)

Logbook of the build: http://www.stephenbottcher.net/BMW/R100ST_1.htm

Some of the above is fact, some is fiction, some is my personal imagination and some is just simple truth. [me]

... i'm not touring around the world, but neither are most of the guys i see running overloaded spam cans ... [bmwblake]

Stephen Bottcher
Ontario, Canada

'72 R75/5 The Blues

www.stephenbottcher.net
StephenB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 09:13 AM   #75
Rinty
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 537
Quote:
NICE! I like the Lesters!