Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-20-2013, 02:09 PM   #76
Callisto224
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 599
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
I didn't realize we were talking about riding in remote off road locations! OBVIOUSLY that changes things, better carry at least three quarts in that case.

As for mixing oil, who cares? Oils are designed to mix with no bad effects.

IF this keeps you up nights, carry all you want, but experience from road riding in the civilized world leads me to recommend against it!

From the OP:

Jim

This!

The OP mentioned a 600 mile trip. Can't imagine he was talking about going 600 miles off road!

2009 1200GS
Callisto224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 02:29 PM   #77
bemiiten
League of Adventures

Oddometer: 4,769
Quote:
Originally Posted by Callisto224 View Post
This!

The OP mentioned a 600 mile trip. Can't imagine he was talking about going 600 miles off road!
Yeah, That would be crazy.
bemiiten is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 04:03 PM   #78
mouthfulloflake
Not afraid

Oddometer: 15,278
I could be wrong, but I think this is the actual rider from the photo posted by Bemittens.

http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....postcount=1170

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...45&postcount=1

so , carry oil if you want to, but carry duct tape for certain

mouthfulloflake screwed with this post 07-20-2013 at 06:37 PM
mouthfulloflake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 11:40 PM   #79
I GS 1
I 90S I

Oddometer: 605
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post

As for mixing oil, who cares? Oils are designed to mix with no bad effects.

Jim
I appreciate there are many who don't care but I would never go as far as saying they "are designed to mix with no bad effects". All manufacturers caution against this as the different additives used can restrict the effectiveness of each other.
I GS 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 05:14 AM   #80
slartidbartfast
Love those blue pipes

Oddometer: 4,736
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twempie View Post
I agree. I always have half-empty leftover oil bottles lying around my shop, so I bring one along on my trips. Most times it never gets used, sometimes it does.
^^^^^ - but only sometimes. Gnerally, I'm only checking oil at fuel stops and I can always pick up a bottle of something that will work. The few times I've ever added oil on a long trip, I realized later that I didn't need it. If I dropped the bike and crunched something so badly I lost a load of oil, I supose an epoxy (or duct tape ) repair and a quart or two might get me home, but it's a pretty unlikely scenario for me and as I don't ride alone that far from home terribly often, I'm not too bothered.

BTW - it wouldn't hurt your Royal Purple-infused engine to put in a few hundred ml of $1.99 gas station 10W40 should the need suddenly arise - but if you're using that much oil, WTF are you doing putting $$$$ synthetic in it in the first place?
Summer 2008 UK End-to-End ride

slartidbartfast screwed with this post 07-21-2013 at 05:20 AM
slartidbartfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 05:18 AM   #81
slartidbartfast
Love those blue pipes

Quote:
Originally Posted by I GS 1 View Post
I appreciate there are many who don't care but I would never go as far as saying they "are designed to mix with no bad effects". All manufacturers caution against this as the different additives used can restrict the effectiveness of each other.
I believe it's a requirement of the various standards that all oils be able to mix without adverse affects. If there are normal oil or additive chemistries (not some exotic aircraft turbine oil) that are incompatible, I've yet to see any definitive examples or descriptions of how and why. Manufacturers "caution against" mixing oils because they want you to buy more of THEIR oil - duh!
Old 07-21-2013, 08:03 AM   #82
marty hill
The Energizer Bunny

Oddometer: 4,093
Quote:
Originally Posted by slartidbartfast View Post
I believe it's a requirement of the various standards that all oils be able to mix without adverse affects. If there are normal oil or additive chemistries (not some exotic aircraft turbine oil) that are incompatible, I've yet to see any definitive examples or descriptions of how and why. Manufacturers "caution against" mixing oils because they want you to buy more of THEIR oil - duh!
Exactly!

Semper Paratus
marty hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 11:58 AM   #83
I GS 1
I 90S I

Quote:
If you have a reference to where and how that requirement is stated, I would like to have it. Thanks

(so you buy more of their oil - not convinced)
Old 07-21-2013, 12:01 PM   #84
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Oddometer: 17,883
The GS-W is my third boxer. The other two both used "some" oil, so I got into the habit of carrying some in a saddle bag. Shockingly, the GS-W has yet to use a drop in 2700+ miles of riding.

I can't seem to break the habit of carrying extra, though, so I still do. If the engine continues to be a teetotaler, I may stop carrying spare oil...
Smugmug Discount: https://secure.smugmug.com/signup?Coupon=mStnWv71mNkjo
Support .orgs that work to protect your rights: ACLU, NRA, EFF
Emoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 03:21 PM   #85
slartidbartfast
Love those blue pipes

Quote:
Originally Posted by I GS 1 View Post
If you have a reference to where and how that requirement is stated, I would like to have it. Thanks

(so you buy more of their oil - not convinced)
Try this: http://www.machinerylubrication.com/...-companibility

Now can YOU provide a link to anything that supports your conjecture that any automotive oils are likely to be incompatible?

I can see how mixing oils with different properties would result in an oil which did not meet either specification exactly (and therefore the manufacturer of product A is not willing to claim that its specifications will remain the same after adding some of product B) That's not the same as suggesting that one additive would interfere with the effect of another, which is what you stated, and that would somehow harm your engine, which is what you implied.

The link above specifically states that engine oils meeting at least some of the recognized standards (most off-the-shelf oils meet all the current & relevant standards) must pass a test or tests demonstrating their compatibility with multiple other oils. Do you know of a specific product that does not meet the current standards because it is not compatible with other oils?
Old 07-21-2013, 03:31 PM   #86
JM
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 775
Quote:

Now can YOU provide a link to anything that supports your conjecture that any automotive oils are likely to be incompatible?

I can see how mixing oils with different properties would result in an oil which did not meet either specification exactly (and therefore the manufacturer of product A is not willing to claim that its specifications will remain the same after adding some of product B) That's not the same as suggesting that one additive would interfere with the effect of another, which is what you stated, and that would somehow harm your engine, which is what you implied.

The link above specifically states that engine oils meeting at least some of the recognized standards (most off-the-shelf oils meet all the current & relevant standards) must pass a test or tests demonstrating their compatibility with multiple other oils. Do you know of a specific product that does not meet the current standards because it is not compatible with other oils?

Circle the wagons, it looks like we have us a real live oil thread. And it only took 6 pages.

Postponing retirement one farkle at a time!
JM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 03:37 PM   #87
FatChance
Road Captain

Oddometer: 10,013
If you have to mix oil it is because you need to top off to get out of trouble. Change it as soon as you get out of trouble if it matters to you. Let's keep it real.

- Calculated risk or forbidden fruit?
FatChance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 03:39 PM   #88
slartidbartfast
Love those blue pipes

Quote:
Originally Posted by JM View Post
Circle the wagons, it looks like we have us a real live oil thread. And it only took 6 pages.
Hanging my head in shame....
Old 07-21-2013, 07:30 PM   #89
I GS 1
I 90S I

Quote:

I'm happy to just stay with the link you provided. To me it is enough. It clearly states: “Given the more complex nature of the engine oils, there is a greater likelihood that problems can occur with mixing this type of lubricant” and goes in to add “… Very often, the mixing of different fluids results in a loss of solubility and/or the responsiveness of the additive ingredients used in either of the two formulations. This can result in a diminished effectiveness of the additives to perform as intended.” if you are happy to put up with possible deminished effectiveness or a greater likelihood that problems can occur thats your choice. Im not suggesting your bike won't run or that it will be directly damaged but for me it is no hassel to carry a bit of extra oil.
Old 07-22-2013, 06:02 AM   #90
Gezerbike
Hey Rocky...........

Oddometer: 3,318
Back to the subject of what to carry extra oil in, I have used an old 8oz bottle of Gumout carb clear to carry oil in for years. The long neck spout makes it easy to pour and it does not take up much space in my bags. Never have I had to purchase any on the road until this last trip in my new 2012 GS Rally, whcih needed about 12oz in a 4,000 mile trip to Colorado. Just zipped into Walmart and got a qt of Rotella 15-40, topped off my carry bottle and bike and gave what was left to one of my riding partners who also uses the stuff. Real easy.

Mike

2012 R 1200 GS RALLYE 1997 Suzuki DR 350 SE
Gezerbike is offline   Reply With Quote