Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-23-2013, 12:11 PM   #91
jon_l
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,942
If I needed /wanted to carry less than a QT/liter, I'd use a Nalgene and label it so it didn't get poured in oatmeal or on pancakes. A couple bucks at any camping store, they are oil & chemical resistant, and don't leak.

I carry HEET in one of these Nalgenes for the alcohol burner. I have a 250 and a 500 ML.

If one is too cheap for that, one of those small 2-stroke chain saw oil bottles should work fine.

While availability of your favorite flavor of motorcycle-specific oil might be limited in outer Remotistan, there are diesel machines and transport trucks almost everywhere in N America, and HDEO works fine in motorcycles. Assuming a Walmart isn't around, a truck stop or mechanic would surely be able to spare a few hundred MLs of oil for a traveler. Full disclosure - I use Rotella T-6 by choice, have for years.
Old 07-23-2013, 12:24 PM   #92
VG44
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 549
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
I carried oil a long time ago. Then I discovered you could buy it nearly anywhere. The bike can safely run a quart low, so it is highly unlikely that you will "suddenly" fid yourself in the middle of nowhere in need of half a quart of oil.

Jim

Well said Jim......
Old 07-23-2013, 12:27 PM   #93
slartidbartfast
Love those blue pipes

Oddometer: 4,851
Quote:
Originally Posted by jon_l View Post
...I carry HEET in one of these Nalgenes for the alcohol burner. I have a 250 and a 500 ML...
HEET is pure methanol and highly toxic. Not something you want on your skin or around food. Alcohol stoves are supposed to burn ethanol. (Denatured alcohol is mostly ethanol, with just enough methanol that the street bums know not to drink it but not enough to make you sick if you breathe a few vapors while lighting your stove)
Summer 2008 UK End-to-End ride
slartidbartfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 02:54 PM   #94
bemiiten
League of Adventures

Oddometer: 4,852
Plastic bottles expand at altitude and that usually results in the contents weeping past the cap. Aluminum fuel bottle will not expand and the cap is sealed with a o ring.
bemiiten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 11:30 PM   #95
TUCKERS
the famous james

Oddometer: 11,555
Seeing as me and the Mrs are both riding low miles GS's I carry oil, as they tend to use a bit at first.

I had originally bought a quart but the container was too big.

Now I use a stainless drink bottle I got from the 99c store, works great. It's the size of a bicycle bottle so fits in one of those bicycle holders perfect! I bolted two on the outside of my panniers, one for oil, one for drink.

On our recent 2000 mile trip I think I used less than a tea cup of oil for both bikes total.
TUCKERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 06:27 AM   #96
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 50,278
Quote:
Originally Posted by TUCKERS View Post
Seeing as me and the Mrs are both riding low miles GS's I carry oil, as they tend to use a bit at first.

I had originally bought a quart but the container was too big.

Now I use a stainless drink bottle I got from the 99c store, works great. It's the size of a bicycle bottle so fits in one of those bicycle holders perfect! I bolted two on the outside of my panniers, one for oil, one for drink.

On our recent 2000 mile trip I think I used less than a tea cup of oil for both bikes total.
In that case you really didn't need to add any at all. So, now you can carry two drink bottles with actual drinks in them!

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 06:56 AM   #97
gonzo2k
Adliberator

Oddometer: 290
I have a couple of these 4 oz. "jugs" in heavy duty ziplocks.
https://www.bestrestproducts.com/c-24-oil-jugs.aspx

Cute as a button... and fit anywhere you want them.

Save $$$_SMUGMUG REFERRAL LINK: https://secure.smugmug.com/signup?Coupon=b39gXpEl6klcs
gonzo2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 11:32 AM   #98
Schlug
JockeyfullofBourbon

Oddometer: 7,327
Quote:
Originally Posted by def View Post
Do you think you'll need extra oil for such a short trip? It's only 570 miles one way. If your 2001 boxer is using oil you might want to consider changing brands or grades to reduce (eliminate) oil use.

My 2001 uses no measurable oil between changes (annually) regardless of miles (usually less than 10,000 miles). Yours should be about the same.

I would top off to the middle of the sight glass and not worry if it gets low on the sight glass. Remember, there are four quarts of oil in the engine. You can ride safely with 3.

I just took my 2001 GS from Windsor, Ont. to Glacier, Banff, Jasper, back down to Yellowstone, the Tetons, and over to Cody for two days, then over Beartooth Pass and Little Bighorn and then home.

I used about a half quart of oil in 6,100 miles.

My bike turned 75,000 miles on the trip.

I shouldn't worry about carrying extra oil on this trip. If you find you are low you can certainly find more oil at the next service station.

However, if you need to carry oil for longer trips either use one of the Touratech mounts or find some sort of oil proof container for the partial bottle. I bought a black BMW zippered pouch a few years ago which fits a quart of oil perfectly and is lined. I tucked in my panniers for years before I mounted a Jessie rear carrier with the small lockable storage compartment which now holds my oil and a Packsafe net.

PS
That was the second trip for the Packsafe net. I have never used it either time. And it's heavy. I am reconsidering ever bringing it along again.
-- It's in their hands. Our message is clear. They're seeing our determination.
Schlug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 12:10 PM   #99
vintagerider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,982
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
If you can see oil in the sight glass you have plenty of oil.

Jim
I can see oil in the site glass when parked on a hill and revving the engine at 5k. Does that mean I'm ok Jim?
note... The "add oil" light does flash a bit but goes off when I bring her up to >5,300 rmp.
------
------
Seriously op, all BMW are going to be high oil consumption if broke in by the manual. The 11xx needed the crap run out of it on light oil when new to seat the rings.

My 1100 used 200 ml fully loaded in the heat of summer from FF to Bend to Cody but that was...
only with 20w50 MO 1 V Twin API SG
(not mobil 15w50 car oil) which I really think 1100's do best on 80F ambient hard running.

My 1150 oddly seemed to like the 15w40 HDO conv truck oil better than MO V Twin. Also when I mixed Amsoil with MO 1, even in small amounts after oil change I got a clatter from the valve train. I can't get a consistent oil level reading on the 1150 like I do w/the 1100. Even when I run it to five bars, park it on side stand 20 min then re-read.

As far as carrying oil, there is no knead. For top off ask the loob mechanix for a cup from their 55 gal drum when on the road. Any engine oil will due, the dilution factor is irrelevant.

I like to use 250-500ml just for GL 5 because imo the gear oil really does matter and fav brnd hard to find on the road.
Old 07-25-2013, 03:36 PM   #100
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 50,278
Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagerider View Post
I can see oil in the site glass when parked on a hill and revving the engine at 5k. Does that mean I'm ok Jim?
note... The "add oil" light does flash a bit but goes off when I bring her up to >5,300 rmp.
Are you drunk? Did I say anything about seeing it with the motor running? Seriously, are you intentionally being a tool here?
------
------
Quote:
Seriously op, all BMW are going to be high oil consumption if broke in by the manual. The 11xx needed the crap run out of it on light oil when new to seat the rings.
Wrong! Not all, or even most will use oil.

Quote:
My 1100 used 200 ml fully loaded in the heat of summer from FF to Bend to Cody but that was...
only with 20w50 MO 1 V Twin API SG
(not mobil 15w50 car oil) which I really think 1100's do best on 80F ambient hard running.

My 1150 oddly seemed to like the 15w40 HDO conv truck oil better than MO V Twin. Also when I mixed Amsoil with MO 1, even in small amounts after oil change I got a clatter from the valve train. I can't get a consistent oil level reading on the 1150 like I do w/the 1100. Even when I run it to five bars, park it on side stand 20 min then re-read.

As far as carrying oil, there is no knead. For top off ask the loob mechanix for a cup from their 55 gal drum when on the road. Any engine oil will due, the dilution factor is irrelevant.

I like to use 250-500ml just for GL 5 because imo the gear oil really does matter and fav brnd hard to find on the road.

Normally you type somewhat legibly, and make some sense, even if I don't agree with you, but WTF?

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 03:40 PM   #101
marty hill
The Energizer Bunny

Oddometer: 4,196
All use oil is BS! I've run in and owned 7 1200GS's. 5 of them I never added oil between 6k changes. The other 2 were real crap, they used about 1/4 qt between 6k changes. Guess I finally got 2 lemons.

Oh, hi Jim.

Semper Paratus
marty hill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 07:37 PM   #102
hyena
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 727
+2.

I broke in my 2005 and 2009 according to the manual. The 05 quit using oil around 18K. The 2009 had quit by 12K. I switched to synthetic, and (if my memory is correct) it went through a quart in 1K miles. I dumped the synthetic and went back to dino Castrol 4T. It hasn't used any oil since.
Old 07-25-2013, 08:12 PM   #103
STUFF2C
Banned

Oddometer: 2,693
my way

STUFF2C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 02:16 AM   #104
Girthy Knobkers
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 407
This thread is still bumping to the top? Is there a "yawn" emoticon?
Girthy Knobkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 03:19 AM   #105
vintagerider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,982
Quote:
Originally Posted by marty hill View Post
All use oil is BS! I've run in and owned 7 1200GS's. 5 of them I never added oil between 6k changes. The other 2 were real crap, they used about 1/4 qt between 6k changes. Guess I finally got 2 lemons.

Oh, hi Jim.
Oh right, I meant to say all 11xx, not all BMW, but particularly 1150. You guys (and gals) know that VR knows nothing about 1200's. Never owned one, likely never will. Has nothing to do with the virtues of the 1200.

There have been plenty of 1150 threads on here over the years with absurdly high oil consumption. Make of that what you will. I personally believe that they were not broken in correctly. If I were to buy a new 1200 today then I'd scream the piss out of it while under warranty, rev limited by motronic anyway. That method sure has worked for me in the past with motors running silk smooth well over 100k mi. Got many compliments on my 100/7 that I bought new to evacuate the 3 mile Island area while it was in melt down.
Only regret today is that it didn't blow up in CO or WY 'cause then would never have made it to Cali.

All my 1100's did great on Mobile One 20w50 SG rated V Twin but sucked on the 15w50 Mobile in the summer heat of the Rockies and the Basin.. High elevation summer riding is a real test (which is op's destination). Therefore I'd recommend that specific oil to him as I had only 200 ml consumption/ 2k mi of that specific riding. Of course Denver to Cody is just local. WTF? I never hesitate to top off with oil from a drum when needed so no need to carry motor oil. Specialty GL 5,that's another matter. Should not need any but if you ride in alkali dust then worth it to change on the trip imo. I use an MSR fuel bottle for that, learned not to pack oil in plastic bottles in the 70's.

As a final note, this computer is wore out junk just like all crap made these days, used to be designed to fail the day warranty expires but now the corps are pushing the envelope for earlier failure. "C" key is a major effort, hence kanister not _anister. Lot's of other keys failing now too..time to but a typewriter.