Old 07-26-2013, 02:30 AM   #106
vintagerider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,994
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
Are you drunk?...

Jim
Haven't you discovered the "Ignore poster" function on this site Jim?

BTW I respect your many valuable contributions here, and your many hours of hands on even if you offer bizarre opinions once in a while... just proves you're not a bot.
Old 07-26-2013, 03:16 PM   #107
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 49,433
Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagerider View Post
Haven't you discovered the "Ignore poster" function on this site Jim?

BTW I respect your many valuable contributions here, and your many hours of hands on even if you offer bizarre opinions once in a while... just proves you're not a bot.
You are too entertaining to ignore, and generally not offensive, even if your opinions are sometimes odd. I just found your post was not your typically legible post. Misspellings, odd use of words, etc.

Jim
JimVonBaden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 07:56 AM   #108
BobLoblaw
Comfortably Numb

Oddometer: 1,424
Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagerider View Post
Oh right, I meant to say all 11xx, not all BMW, but particularly 1150. You guys (and gals) know that VR knows nothing about 1200's. Never owned one, likely never will. Has nothing to do with the virtues of the 1200.

There have been plenty of 1150 threads on here over the years with absurdly high oil consumption. Make of that what you will. I personally believe that they were not broken in correctly. If I were to buy a new 1200 today then I'd scream the piss out of it while under warranty, rev limited by motronic anyway. That method sure has worked for me in the past with motors running silk smooth well over 100k mi. Got many compliments on my 100/7 that I bought new to evacuate the 3 mile Island area while it was in melt down.
Only regret today is that it didn't blow up in CO or WY 'cause then would never have made it to Cali.

All my 1100's did great on Mobile One 20w50 SG rated V Twin but sucked on the 15w50 Mobile in the summer heat of the Rockies and the Basin.. High elevation summer riding is a real test (which is op's destination). Therefore I'd recommend that specific oil to him as I had only 200 ml consumption/ 2k mi of that specific riding. Of course Denver to Cody is just local. WTF? I never hesitate to top off with oil from a drum when needed so no need to carry motor oil. Specialty GL 5,that's another matter. Should not need any but if you ride in alkali dust then worth it to change on the trip imo. I use an MSR fuel bottle for that, learned not to pack oil in plastic bottles in the 70's.

As a final note, this computer is wore out junk just like all crap made these days, used to be designed to fail the day warranty expires but now the corps are pushing the envelope for earlier failure. "C" key is a major effort, hence kanister not _anister. Lot's of other keys failing now too..time to but a typewriter.
does it add an "e" to Mobil
Old 07-28-2013, 11:40 PM   #109
TUCKERS
the famous james

Oddometer: 11,454
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
In that case you really didn't need to add any at all. So, now you can carry two drink bottles with actual drinks in them!

Jim
You read our minds! Colleen had a stainless steel bicycle bottle full of Early Times. It got us 'to' Oregon, but we needed a refill for the ride home!

I just like topping up the oil at the campground in the morning and checking the air in the tires, makes me look useful whilst Colleen fixes breakfast.
TUCKERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 06:36 AM   #110
ricohman
Marinoni man

Oddometer: 1,981
I lugged a litre of oil all the way to Deadhorse and back on my 1150.
Never needed it as I changed oil every 5K. Next long trip I will buy it at a Walmart as there seems to be one of those every couple of hours.
ricohman is offline   Reply With Quote