User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-19-2015, 10:20 AM   #1
milkman67204 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 148
Cool2 Breaking out of Russia

After 4 years 8 months and 19 days my time has come. My contract here in Russia is up and I dont have any commitments until the beginning of August. I have a little over 2 months to enjoy life and putz around Europe!

I will be leaving Moscow later this week my first goal is Brussels to meet an old friend from Antarctica. Then to France for the 24 hours of Lemans!!!! After that the plan is pretty vague. I know my Dad will meet me in Frankfurt in June and I plan to make it to the Warrior meeting in Germany in July thats about the extent of the plan at the moment.

I plan to try to keep this up to date as I go about the trip. If you want to see a bit of Europe have an adventure and maybe a little bit of trouble follow along. I'll do the best I can to keep it interesting.

milkman67204 screwed with this post 05-19-2015 at 10:25 AM Reason: misspell
milkman67204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 10:22 AM   #2
milkman67204 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

The Bike

My ride is a 2008 Yamaha Warrior that is slightly modified

That picture is from another little adventure I had : Not loaded quiet that much for the trip, but you get the idea.

I affectionately call her Yoshi, named after the Yoshi in the Super Mario video games I played as a child.

In the game Yoshi carried that arsehole Mario all over the world. This Yoshi carries my lazy keister all over the world.
In the game Yoshi ate berries and crapped out an egss with all kinds of fun things inside. My Yoshi eats 92 octane and puts out pure fun and excitement!
Yoshi in the game occasionally would kick Mario off and run away. This Yoshi has gotten a little to excited twice and invited me to get off rather quickly
Yoshi in Super Mario World would eat the enemies in front of Mario protecting him. My Yoshi eats up potholes, rocks, sand, water and a multitude of other things that end up in our path.
Lastly just like in the game under certain conditions my Yoshi can fly to!
Old 05-19-2015, 10:22 AM   #3
milkman67204 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Tool Kit and spare parts

Here is the bigger tool kit I carry with me. I keep the tools inside an old Dewalt drill case.

The tool kit above is what I have with me usually it goes with me as I travel but if I am stationary in an area for a while I dont carry it. It get left in the hotel or where ever I am staying.

Here is what it includes:

Wrenches 22, 19, 17, 16, 15, 14, 13, 12 ,11 ,10, 9, 8, 7, 6 and also a 27 mm wrench for the rear tire.

Sockets a set from 4mm to 19mm plus 36mm for the steering head, 30mm pulley nut and 27mm for nut on the swing arm pivot shaft. 2- 6" 3/8 drive extensions and one 9" extension. also a set of hex sockets.

Electrical tape, tie wire, lighters, emergency belt, 10 in 1 screwdriver, 12" long 3/16" flat time screwdriver, one small instrument screwdriver, no-ox for electrical connections, crimping pliers, small vise grips, clutch cable, bag a miscellaneous electrical connectors and spare o rings for my dry break.

1/4 and 3/8 drive ratchet

Here is the packed product

I have a small leather bag I made up and have strapped to the forks. This little tool pouch is always with me.

It has the stock tool kit along with some plugs for tires, zip ties, a bit of tie wire, flashlight, heat shrink and a small pair of channellocks

This is the spare parts I will be carrying with me

I got a fuel pump, fuel injectors, a new LAS, a new relay unit, CPS and a few random nuts and bolts. The spare parts will be riding in a little box I made and have mounted to one of the saddle bags

I also have a small compressor hiding in the mess can you can see mounted on the right side of the bike just above my exhaust
Old 05-19-2015, 06:15 PM   #4
Toadride
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 857
Quote:
Originally Posted by milkman67204 View Post
My ride is a 2008 Yamaha Warrior that is slightly modified

That picture is from another little adventure I had : Not loaded quiet that much for the trip, but you get the idea.

I affectionately call her Yoshi, named after the Yoshi in the Super Mario video games I played as a child.

In the game Yoshi carried that arsehole Mario all over the world. This Yoshi carries my lazy keister all over the world.
In the game Yoshi ate berries and crapped out an egss with all kinds of fun things inside. My Yoshi eats 92 octane and puts out pure fun and excitement!
Yoshi in the game occasionally would kick Mario off and run away. This Yoshi has gotten a little to excited twice and invited me to get off rather quickly
Yoshi in Super Mario World would eat the enemies in front of Mario protecting him. My Yoshi eats up potholes, rocks, sand, water and a multitude of other things that end up in our path.
Lastly just like in the game under certain conditions my Yoshi can fly to!
Most Excellent Ratbike. Or should we call it a classic?
Old 05-19-2015, 08:24 PM   #5
Dirt Road Cowboy
Sometimes I'm A Jerk

Oddometer: 500
This should be great!

Dirt Road Cowboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 07:34 AM   #6
milkman67204 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Day 1

THe first day on the road is always the worst. Especially if you just left what has become your family over the past 5 years not knowing if you will ever see them again.

I had to go north of Moscow to exit along the baltic see into Estonia. I didnt want to but do to restrictions I had to go there. Along the way I passed through the Luga area where alot of fighting during the war happened.

I have no diea how many were in this cemetery but it was huge and many of the fairly freshly dug.

And an old bunker in Luga
Old 05-23-2015, 08:13 AM   #7
milkman67204 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

day 2

I wanted to get as close to the border as I could. About 60 miles away I found this little campsite beside the river.

The road to get there

In the morning there was frost on the ground when I looked out so I went back to sleep.
This is what it looked like when I finally got out of the tent

Yoshi was cold and wet

I started off towards the border. I got there and it went fairly painless. They actually asked for the proper documents, which is a first in about 10 crossings.

After the border I stopped at this little airfield to eat breakfast
Old 05-24-2015, 11:27 AM   #8
milkman67204 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I got to a town in Estonia, Tartu I believe, I was looking for some lunch and stumbled across the Stihl Timber Sports event they were haveing

Also had some drifting

I tried to get them to let me try this one but they said no way.

THe main square in town.

I was happy I got an hours worth of entertainment and a hamburger they were grilling for 2.50! I figured I couldnt beat a deal like that
Old 05-24-2015, 11:29 AM   #9
milkman67204 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I found my way to a little farm that advertised camping. Got my tent set up just as the rain came!

This is what dinner looks like for me more often than not. Bread cheese and some kind of sausage. It looks strangly like breakfast to.:

Woke up the next day and headed out.
Beautiful weather

Old 05-24-2015, 11:48 AM   #10
milkman67204 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I kept going and made it to Kaunas Lithuania. Right beside the highway was a memorial so I stopped to check it out.

Looks like over 50,000 people were killeld here during WWII

THey had a museum and I wanted to check it out but just couldnt bring myself to do it. I just didnt want anything that sad and intense today.

SO I walked back to the bike
I kept driving and made it to Poland

I noticed when I got gas that somewhere in the last 100 miles I had lost the top to my little air compressor holder. Well so be it I wanted to make some more miles and it was getting late.

Finally I pulled over and found a little roadside hotel for equivelent of 30 a night with breakfast! I figure I should fix a new top for my air compressor holder

While drinking my beer I had some inspiration

Looks like **** but will work until I find a replacement. I figure between Poland and the old East Germany finding an old soviet army food canteen shouldnt be to hard:cool:
Old 05-25-2015, 05:21 AM   #11
RiderRick
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 157
Great story and pics, i,m subscribed!

"A river cuts through rock not because of its power, but because of its persistence" Author Unknown
RiderRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 01:55 AM   #12
milkman67204 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Ok so where I left off....

I woke up after staying in the hotel and went to the Wolfs Lair. It was a complex of bunkers built during WWII and used by Hitler.

As they were loosing the war they destroyed them when they retreated. I cant imagine what it would take to blow these things apart like they did the walls were 6-10ft thick!

One of the guests bunkers

Same bunker on the inside blown apart

The way some of the trees have grown is funny

one of the inside corridors of the bunker built just for Hitler

I think this is the outside corner of Hitlers bunker, the other side of it is blown open this side was fairly intact

Some of the cracks from the explosions

The inside of Hitlers bunker

There was a company there at the site that had some old war vehicles they restored and would give rides around in. When they saw me on my motorcycle they started harassing me for a while about paying them so I could drive their "BMW R71" with sidecar. I looked at it for a minute or two and said well I would love to pay to drive an actual BMW from the war but I have driven enough of the Soviet copies so I will pass.

There were a few tourist standing around and the guy running the rides got all offended. Of course he denied that it was a Soviet motorcycle and told me I didnt know what I was talking about. I said ohh would you like me to prove it I can show you the marking and stamps.... At this point he was really upset because there was a crowd. In the end I didnt drive their Dnepr motorcycle but I did offer them the opportunity to sit on mine and take a picture FOR FREE a bunch of the tourist took me up on it.
Old 05-29-2015, 02:07 AM   #13
milkman67204 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

From the wolfs lair I went to Olsztyn, Poland. It was a bigger city and I wanted to buy a new sleeping bag mine was about worn out and the zipper finnicky plus I had been getting cold at night. I found a store and bought a new one and headed north towards Gdansk.

I followed the coast around and saw a sign for camping so I pulled into this place and it looked like an old mansion. I talked to the guy there and said I could put my tent here no problem and free! Here are the toilets and showers good luck!

Boy I thought I hit the jackpot!
I ate dinner some kind of amazing salad and some salami and cheese

I was relaxing when a bus pulled in. Then a whole bus load of school kids got off. Then a second

I asked the head guy what was going on. Ohh we are having a childrens camp this weekend.......

It ended up being not so bad but I went to bed early. I dont hate kids but i dont want to deal with 150 of them either.
Old 05-29-2015, 02:17 AM   #14
milkman67204 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I woke up the next day packed up and was ready to go. I started the motorcycle and it sounded funny. I looked and looked and looked but couldnt find anything wrong.

I decided to head towards Germany. At some point it started to sprinkle so I pulled into a gas station ate some food and hung out. Then I noticed that my muffler had separated from the header. The muffler was still attached to the header but there was now an exhaust leak there and that was the noise I was hearing.

I still dont really know how this happened the header is fixed in place the muffler fixed in place and the two of them connected with a clamp.

I took it apart but couldnt get everything to line back up. I think the kids the previous night were playing on my bike and jumping on the exhaust and bent something somewhere on the exhaust. With out taking it off completely I dont know exactly where.

I used my tie wire to wire up the muffler since now when it is fully seated on the exhaust pipe the holes wont line up for me to use the bolt that was previously supporting the muffler.

This was my final fix for it

I think it will hold no problem, it has for the last 800 miles! at some point if I come across someone with a drill and drill bit I can get it fixed properly. I just need to move the hole in the muffler support over a bit.
Old 05-29-2015, 04:11 AM   #15
runpet
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
I'm hooked. I just had heart by-pass surgery one week ago so I need something to do while I'm recuperating.I look forward to reading your updates with my morning coffee.

No riding motorcycles for me for 3 months. UGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This is the first summer in 35 years I won't be able to ride.

later