Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-28-2013, 06:49 AM   #181
Becktastic OP
Bonzai Becky

Oddometer: 1,132
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacedaemon View Post
Also, all your videos are in 480p, which I assume is because of bandwidth issues. Do you have HD source materials, and if so, are you planning on recutting these into a longer documentary style film when you finish the trip?
I'm recognizing now that having more recordings in HD would be great for just that reason, but my current electronics setup can't handle it. I'm currently on the fence about upgrading a few things. I ran into these awesome video bloggers driving North in their VW bus and was floored by their video quality in several respects.

Firstly I've been using free and crappy Windows Movie Maker for all of my videos and he has the far advanced Adobe Premier which he's going to let me put on my computer today. I'm well versed in other Adobe programs so I'm hoping the learning curve on their video software won't be too steep and the more advanced features should improve video quality dramatically.

For handheld clips of stuff we see while walking around I just use my smart phone, which has nothing on their incredible Sony Compact DSLR.

For riding videos I usually use my first generation VIO POV, though a lot of it is from Brant's Sony Action and some is from my GoPro. The problem with filming in HD on the latter two is that it eats memory cards and battery too quickly. Also any camera like that which has an outer casing fogs up like crazy and will make you insane.

I love my VIO because it doesn't have a casing to fog up, it powers off the bike and has a setting where it records on a loop constantly but only saves to my memory card when I push a button on a remote. This solves the aforementioned battery and memory card problems. They have a new drool-worthy HD model, but it is $400. I bought my Gen 1 on Gear Trade for $80.

I have friends flying down to visit us in Nicaragua in February and I'm debating if I want them to bring anything down. It's just hard to make the decision to invest in fancy electronics because they are the bad combination of expensive and fragile.

On the other hand, this is the trip of the lifetime, it's only happening once and man that HD looks vibrant!
Becktastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 08:08 AM   #182
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,407
Quote:
Originally Posted by Becktastic View Post
For handheld clips of stuff we see while walking around I just use my smart phone, which has nothing on their incredible Sony Compact DSLR.
I for one find this story so compelling, and the approach so original, that I haven't noticed any problems with video quality, HD vs 720, smart phone vs GoPro, etc. In fact, I think the "simple" format is your distinct advantage. It's genuine. The end result is that this whole thread has a Bruce Brown "Endless Summer" draw to it.

You feel your editing tool, Windows Movie Maker, is crappy? Maybe it is - but what you've done with it is simple and honest. Go for the whiz bang platforms if you want to, but for my vote - you have it all dialed in right now. This is one of the freshest and most original ride reports out there. The "Collaborative Video Blog" is straightforward and endlessly entertaining.

And don't forget how you're inspiring others by using basic equipment. You remind us all it isn't the gear you buy and bring, it's the storyteller. You're doing a wonderful job.
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 08:22 AM   #183
Lacedaemon
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 592
I didn't mean to criticize the video quality! I'm just hoping that at some point I will get to relive it all in director's cut format!
Lacedaemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 08:29 AM   #184
Becktastic OP
Bonzai Becky

Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post
I for one find this story so compelling, and the approach so original, that I haven't noticed any problems with video quality, HD vs 720, smart phone vs GoPro, etc. In fact, I think the "simple" format is your distinct advantage. It's genuine. The end result is that this whole thread has a Bruce Brown "Endless Summer" draw to it.

You feel your editing tool, Windows Movie Maker, is crappy? Maybe it is - but what you've done with it is simple and honest. Go for the whiz bang platforms if you want to, but for my vote - you have it all dialed in right now. This is one of the freshest and most original ride reports out there. The "Collaborative Video Blog" is straightforward and endlessly entertaining.

And don't forget how you're inspiring others by using basic equipment. You remind us all it isn't the gear you buy and bring, it's the storyteller. You're doing a wonderful job.
Aww thank you, it's good to reflect on that. It's definitely true that I have seen many low budget movies with more soul and that were way more fun to watch than big budget blingy flicks.

Windows Movie Maker is a POS program though and I'm very excited about the new software. WMM has so many terrible glitches I feel like I'm constantly figuring out weird work arounds just to make a 4 minute episode. Example: Last episode it was glitching where it wouldn't let me delete an audio fragment, but instead would delete all the audio. So I had to overlay audio segments over and over each other and mute areas to make it work. One time the webcam button was just GONE, no way to record webcam. I had to do a program restore to fix it (after uninstall/reinstall failed to work). Sometimes it just decides to delete all your video when you are trying to trim a clip.

So a stranger offering me the glory of Adobe Premier for free is a freaking Christmas miracle!
Old 12-28-2013, 08:38 AM   #185
oneway
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 374
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post
i for one find this story so compelling, and the approach so original, that i haven't noticed any problems with video quality, hd vs 720, smart phone vs gopro, etc. In fact, i think the "simple" format is your distinct advantage. It's genuine. The end result is that this whole thread has a bruce brown "endless summer" draw to it.

You feel your editing tool, windows movie maker, is crappy? Maybe it is - but what you've done with it is simple and honest. Go for the whiz bang platforms if you want to, but for my vote - you have it all dialed in right now. This is one of the freshest and most original ride reports out there. The "collaborative video blog" is straightforward and endlessly entertaining.

+ 1
oneway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 09:15 AM   #186
damasovi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,622
well I have seen half of your tread and it is one of the best ones I have seen!!! I feel a connection with you, and it is very personal, all I need is a plash of water and I am there!

Keep it up, and I will continue to read/view the rest!

Damasovi
Old 12-28-2013, 09:22 AM   #187
Becktastic OP
Bonzai Becky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacedaemon View Post
I didn't mean to criticize the video quality! I'm just hoping that at some point I will get to relive it all in director's cut format!
I didn't take it in a negative way. It's just something at the forefront of my mind too because I just met the VW couple and now I'm lusting after their electronics.

I do have most of it in at least a bit higher quality, all of it is saved down for internet upload. It's just not HD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by damasovi View Post
well I have seen half of your tread and it is one of the best ones I have seen!!! I feel a connection with you, and it is very personal, all I need is a plash of water and I am there!

Keep it up, and I will continue to read/view the rest!

Damasovi
Awesome! I'm glad you've been enjoying it. We really just want it to be as honest, real and personal as possible. I'm glad it's getting across.
Old 12-28-2013, 09:57 AM   #188
Becktastic OP
Bonzai Becky

P.S. I made an official Facebook page for the video blog where I'll be posting updates between videos. Please like us on Facebook and share with any friends you think might enjoy them too.

https://www.facebook.com/motoventuring
Old 12-28-2013, 05:05 PM   #189
schwahead
Adventurer

Oddometer: 55
WooHoo!

Just watched all your videos today! Loving every minute of it and can't wait till there's more! I did ohio to panama 5 yrs ago on my drz and found it to be the perfect bike! 2up on the Z is very very impressive. Sending all the good luck and positive thoughts your way!
schwahead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 05:40 PM   #190
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,407
Quote:
Originally Posted by Becktastic View Post
P.S. I made an official Facebook page for the video blog where I'll be posting updates between videos. Please like us on Facebook and share with any friends you think might enjoy them too.

https://www.facebook.com/motoventuring
Just did, and highly recommended.

All of the videos are there in basically a sequential format. Nice job on the FB page.

tricepilot screwed with this post 12-29-2013 at 07:56 AM
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 08:57 AM   #191
Becktastic OP
Bonzai Becky

Somebody commented that we always seem to encounter kind people on our trip, well here you go: Roadblocks, Rebels and Rapey Guys

Most people are still awesome.
Old 01-01-2014, 09:57 AM   #192
Lacedaemon
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 592
Yuck. Hopefully posting here means that it's all satisfactorily resolved.

Assuming it is, Happy new year!
Lacedaemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 10:02 AM   #193
adventurebound9517
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 304
Was Andrea doing what it looked like she was doing??
adventurebound9517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 05:23 AM   #194
oneway
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 374
Another great video, and I really appreciate the fact that you take the time to "tell the story".
oneway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 06:03 AM   #195
Becktastic OP
Bonzai Becky

Quote:
Originally Posted by adventurebound9517 View Post
Was Andrea doing what it looked like she was doing??
Depends on if it looked like #1 or #2 to you.