Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-05-2014, 10:23 AM   #511
WhicheverAnyWayCan
Deaf Biker

Oddometer: 833
as a deaf person, english subtitle is cool!! hehe I know its a lot of work adding it there..
WhicheverAnyWayCan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 10:44 AM   #512
Becktastic OP
Bonzai Becky

Oddometer: 1,132
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhicheverAnyWayCan View Post
as a deaf person, english subtitle is cool!! hehe I know its a lot of work adding it there..
We thought you'd like it Ken! Well I did a little research and it looks like YouTube actually has a tool that will let us put Spanish AND English subtitles as options (https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/2734796?hl=en) so everybody can get what they want and nobody has to be distracted. :) We'll try it on the next episode and if it's not an utterly insane amount of work, we'll keep it up! It looks like the tool may be easier than hardcoding them in Premiere, so that's good news! :)
Becktastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 04:54 AM   #513
Vinny V strom
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
Still in Ecuador ??
Vinny V strom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 07:42 AM   #514
Becktastic OP
Bonzai Becky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny V strom View Post
Still in Ecuador ??
Yuuuup! And we're going to be here a while, since Andrea's emergency replacement passport from Mexico is full. You have to make an appointment, hunt down the consulate, drop it off and hang out for 2-6 weeks. At least the gas is crazy cheap here if we're going to be roaming around a while. Food is crazy cheap too. :) Unfortunately all of the internet has sucked since arrival, so while we have three episodes ready, we can't get them onto YouTube
Old 08-13-2014, 11:56 AM   #515
Airmail
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 123
Cheap food and gas sounds great. How is the medical care in this part of the world? This is what everyone always ask me when I say I want to go to places like panama when I retire.
Airmail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 12:54 PM   #516
Chiriqui Charlie
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 355
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airmail View Post
Cheap food and gas sounds great. How is the medical care in this part of the world? This is what everyone always ask me when I say I want to go to places like panama when I retire.
Medical care in Panama is better, faster, and cheaper than in the States!
Chiriqui Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 01:16 PM   #517
Airmail
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiriqui Charlie View Post
Medical care in Panama is better, faster, and cheaper than in the States!
Thank you I will relay that to my brother in law who keeps telling me the states has better.

Panama is looking better all the time. :)
Airmail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 03:54 PM   #518
810H4Z4RD
Old n00b

Oddometer: 101
OK i think we can all agree that video updates are more important than food, gas, or border regulations. You need to break out the tire irons and start digging a tunnel to the nearest country with decent wifi.
810H4Z4RD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 04:57 PM   #519
Becktastic OP
Bonzai Becky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airmail View Post
The brochure they gave us at the border said healthcare is FREE here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 810H4Z4RD View Post
OK i think we can all agree that video updates are more important than food, gas, or border regulations. You need to break out the tire irons and start digging a tunnel to the nearest country with decent wifi.
We'll get right on it!
Old 08-13-2014, 10:07 PM   #520
Vinny V strom
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becktastic View Post
The brochure they gave us at the border said healthcare is FREE here!

We'll get right on it!
I had an ACL tear a few years ago. Flew to Ecuador and saved 11K because I didn't have insurance at the time. Cost was $25 plus the flight there from the USA. You have to bring everything to the hospital (urinal, water, food, etc)
That's for the free hospital. There are also fancy hospitals with insurance that are just like the USA. Cuenca is very popular for retired people because it offers everything you'll need.

I hope you have communicated with Freedom bike rental in Quito. They can give you lots of assist with great routes to take on the bikes. Please do some rafting in Banos, surfing in Montanita, relaxing in Canoa ( very good Internet and $10 rooms at Hotel Bambu) , buy flowers in Cuenca, zip line in Mindo, eat hornado in sangolqui, eat fritada in Latacunga, and have some peace on a desolate beach in Playa de Los Frailes.
That should keep you busy for a little while.

PM me I'd you need a cheap place to stay about 30 minutes south of Quito. It's in a little village called Alangasi. Not much going on there. Just make lemonade and catch up with your blog.
Attached Images

Old 08-14-2014, 04:06 AM   #521
Vinny V strom
Adventurer

Earthquake

I just saw that an earthquake north of Quito has closed roads due to slides. I hope you are in another area and safe.
Old 08-14-2014, 12:14 PM   #522
#1Fan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 696
Quote:
I wish we were baller enough to fly our friends down! I just want to address this because I know when Andrea and I started researching and putting together our Kickstarter, we were looking at peoples projects and thinking "Holy crap, this guy made 20 grand in 30 days for a documentary about hot sauce!" but with the exception of this guy who made over $55,000 to make a potato salad most people work very hard for what they get and the net gain is far less that what you see on the screen. If you get 10k pledged, but it costs you 4k to make, buy and mail all your rewards, you have 6k left. Split that with your partner and you've each got 3k to get two motorcycles to South America and work for some months after making a final cut documentary. Soooooo...don't expect videos of us sipping umbrella cocktails poolside at the Hilton any time soon.

Andrea just left to put her engine together for hopefully the last time and do a test ride. Cross your fingers it runs like a dream and we can make for Ecuador in the morning!!!

Annnnnnd here's a new update video! We did something a little different and practiced our Spanish. It was much harder than we thought it would be since we haven't done that much talking in the past tense before. There are English Subtitles of course!

***cough, cough*** It's been over a week. Waiting patiently for the next video.
Everyone should be so lucky as to be able to ride a motorbike through the Himalayas.
#1Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 01:43 PM   #523
GypsyWriter
Sarah

Oddometer: 1,427
Quote:
Originally Posted by #1Fan View Post
***cough, cough*** It's been over a week. Waiting patiently for the next video.
Quote:
Yuuuup! And we're going to be here a while, since Andrea's emergency replacement passport from Mexico is full. You have to make an appointment, hunt down the consulate, drop it off and hang out for 2-6 weeks. At least the gas is crazy cheap here if we're going to be roaming around a while. Food is crazy cheap too. :) Unfortunately all of the internet has sucked since arrival, so while we have three episodes ready, we can't get them onto YouTube
Quote:
Originally Posted by FotoTEX View Post
Life is dangerous. Not doing what you love makes life even more dangerous...
GypsyWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 04:09 PM   #524
#1Fan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 696
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsyWriter View Post
Everyone should be so lucky as to be able to ride a motorbike through the Himalayas.
#1Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 04:57 PM   #525
Becktastic OP
Bonzai Becky

Finally the next episode! We totally dropped the ball on subtitles, sorry dudes. We're going to try it on the next one, but we have to use the YouTube tool and the internet has been terrible. But hey, 15 hours later this one finally loaded!