Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-28-2013, 08:27 PM   #106
TemeculaRider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 565
Back in '11, I took off from Bahia de Los Angeles at the crack of dawn and did the road from the South into Mike's Sky Ranch because I believed it was some mythical place that I had to go to. On a KLR. Do not EVER take that "road" on anything bigger than a 250, and even then, why would anyone do it? Sorry, that place is bullshit and they pretend like they're doing you the biggest favor in the world to take your $75. ha! I got so much attitude I walked out and hit the North road. On a KLR. Heavily laden. I hadn't gassed up since El Rosario and ran out, in the dark, on the hwy about 30 miles south of Mexicali, not realizing that there weren't any Pemex stations along the way. Fortunately I coasted into a house where a family was playing cards on the patio and the father came out without me even asking and siphoned some gas out of the family car. I intended to stop in Mexicali but just wanted to get back so bad I hit the border line and then made it to Calexico before collapsing for a 14 hr death sleep.

I tell everyone I see, don't go to Mike's Sky Ranch unless you have a reason. Something tells me you agree, Becky?

I got distracted and wasn't following your progress so missed you guys here in La Paz. I don't know what your plans were here, but I had intended to help in any way I could. Sorry about that!

I'm looking forward to hearing how Coco is as that crazy guy hasn't been there the last two times I went past. I sure hope he's okay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateJohn
you are safer in 99% of Northern Mexico than you are in 99% of Jacksonville, FL.
TemeculaRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 09:14 PM   #107
Becktastic OP
Bonzai Becky

Oddometer: 1,129
Quote:
Originally Posted by TemeculaRider View Post
Back in '11, I took off from Bahia de Los Angeles at the crack of dawn and did the road from the South into Mike's Sky Ranch because I believed it was some mythical place that I had to go to. On a KLR. Do not EVER take that "road" on anything bigger than a 250, and even then, why would anyone do it? Sorry, that place is bullshit and they pretend like they're doing you the biggest favor in the world to take your $75. ha! I got so much attitude I walked out and hit the North road. On a KLR. Heavily laden. I hadn't gassed up since El Rosario and ran out, in the dark, on the hwy about 30 miles south of Mexicali, not realizing that there weren't any Pemex stations along the way. Fortunately I coasted into a house where a family was playing cards on the patio and the father came out without me even asking and siphoned some gas out of the family car. I intended to stop in Mexicali but just wanted to get back so bad I hit the border line and then made it to Calexico before collapsing for a 14 hr death sleep.

I tell everyone I see, don't go to Mike's Sky Ranch unless you have a reason. Something tells me you agree, Becky?

I got distracted and wasn't following your progress so missed you guys here in La Paz. I don't know what your plans were here, but I had intended to help in any way I could. Sorry about that!

I'm looking forward to hearing how Coco is as that crazy guy hasn't been there the last two times I went past. I sure hope he's okay.
I think Mike's is a fun place for people who like sand riding and have smaller and lightly laden bikes...and who can afford the hotel. It's definitely pretty and the roads would have been fun under other circumstances. But a budget adventure destination it was not.

The staff was very nice to us, they gave us ice and the camping discount, sorry you had such a bad time. I guess I felt like we were in over our heads and it was overhyped and overpriced, but still a cool place.

Coco was home when we went. :)
Becktastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 09:24 PM   #108
Becktastic OP
Bonzai Becky

Oh and sorry we missed you in La Paz, but may have been for the better, still bruised and broken and then had to deal with A LOT of bureaucracy, so you may not have seen us at our best haha. Things are looking up now at least, hopefully everything falls together. If anyone knows anyone in Patzcuaro that would be great, we just need a safe place to put our things and a patch of ground to sleep on. All hotels are booked, so the current plan is go early and try to make friends!
Old 10-29-2013, 12:12 AM   #109
AteamNM
Wonna Be ADVrider

Oddometer: 3,569
We only stopped at Mike's for a brief visit. I am so glad we went there as this place is a legend. The single track leading out toward the observatory road was awesome. There was a DRZ 400, 2 KTM 525's, a KTM 690 and one KTM 450. No problems in dry conditions for us. The road to Mikes less the 9 mile of sand whoop hell on the course was easy peasy. I would recommend a visit there, maybe not a stay over night. Oh yea, there was no one there when we stopped but a local who gladly served us a few beers. Deserted but the memorabilia was awesome.

YMMV

AteamNM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 10:55 AM   #110
Becktastic OP
Bonzai Becky

Current location: Zipolite, Oaxaca, Mexico (11/09/2013)

Old 11-09-2013, 02:10 PM   #111
Throttlemeister
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,700
Girls, bikes, and stripper poles... what's not to like? Nice
Looks like loads of fun to me

Nice video blog, little different than the regular old ride report

Keep up the good work.
Old 11-09-2013, 08:58 PM   #112
Becktastic OP
Bonzai Becky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Throttlemeister View Post
Girls, bikes, and stripper poles... what's not to like? Nice
Looks like loads of fun to me

Nice video blog, little different than the regular old ride report

Keep up the good work.
Ha glad you like it. :) It's impossible not to have a blast with Andrea, I'm super glad she is on this trip with me (even though her budget means a lot of sleeping in the dirt) And sometimes it means I miss the ferry and spend a day running around doing paperwork...

Old 11-09-2013, 09:31 PM   #113
AteamNM
Wonna Be ADVrider

Oddometer: 3,569
Thieves are world wide and know no geographic boundaries. Damn the bad luck. Embassy help? ADV shout out.

WWWD? What would Walter (Coalbatch) do. I hope you don't have to come back the US border.
AteamNM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 10:23 PM   #114
V@lentino
Inspektor

Oddometer: 815
Pissed Yup tough lesson

Love the ride report format, be safe and have fun. We are in Salvador (Playa el Tunco) riding 2up on our GSA. We also got some stuff stolen while in Palenque.

Bike was parked on the sidewalk a few feet from the hostel entrance, it happened during the day and the thief took emergency tire tube, tank bag cover, filter and oil plug wrench, and some other small tools (including my tire repair kit) that I kept in a zipped pouch on the handle bar. I've replaced most of it now and will stop at the BMW shop in San Salvador to get the wrench tomorrow.

We've been having such a great time, its easy to get complacent about stuff like that.

Hopefully it will not be too much of a pain get your documents reissued.

Maybe with a bit of luck we meet down south and share war stories.

Suerte

The motorcycle chronicles of Jackie & Valentino
The Southern Episode
V@lentino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 12:08 AM   #115
CGgunner
Globe Rover

Oddometer: 10
Docs

There is a consul in Cabo for your passport and ID issue. Immigration in LaPaz can redo your docs with a large time investment I'm sure. I had a business there for many years. If you need more info just PM.
CGgunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 05:44 AM   #116
adventurebound9517
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 302
If your still in Baja PM me. I'm currently in San Jose Del Cabo, leaving to go north tomorrow- Monday. I will help if I can.
Phillip
adventurebound9517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 07:15 AM   #117
Becktastic OP
Bonzai Becky

Quote:
Originally Posted by AteamNM View Post
Thieves are world wide and know no geographic boundaries. Damn the bad luck. Embassy help? ADV shout out.

WWWD? What would Walter (Coalbatch) do. I hope you don't have to come back the US border.
I think it's all going to work out, we'll find out when we try to exit Mexico and enter Guate!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac_elite View Post
Love the ride report format, be safe and have fun. We are in Salvador (Playa el Tunco) riding 2up on our GSA. We also got some stuff stolen while in Palenque.

Bike was parked on the sidewalk a few feet from the hostel entrance, it happened during the day and the thief took emergency tire tube, tank bag cover, filter and oil plug wrench, and some other small tools (including my tire repair kit) that I kept in a zipped pouch on the handle bar. I've replaced most of it now and will stop at the BMW shop in San Salvador to get the wrench tomorrow.

We've been having such a great time, its easy to get complacent about stuff like that.

Hopefully it will not be too much of a pain get your documents reissued.

Maybe with a bit of luck we meet down south and share war stories.

Suerte
Sorry for your theft too, it's tough. You want to keep the bikes and all your stuff on them safe and in sight, but you can't miss out on experiences out of fear, sometimes you have to take risks. We didn't have to leave stuff in our camp like that though, it was foolish, now all the docs are kept under lock and key.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGgunner View Post
There is a consul in Cabo for your passport and ID issue. Immigration in LaPaz can redo your docs with a large time investment I'm sure. I had a business there for many years. If you need more info just PM.
Quote:
Originally Posted by adventurebound9517 View Post
If your still in Baja PM me. I'm currently in San Jose Del Cabo, leaving to go north tomorrow- Monday. I will help if I can.
Phillip
Thanks for the help offers! We were able to get what we needed to board the ferry and get a replacement passport. The only hold out is a replacement title, which will matter for getting into Guate. I have high quality scans of both sides so I'm going to make a good quality color copy, have her sign it, try to get some official looking stamp on it and fold and unfold it so it looks a bit aged. Wish us luck!
Old 11-10-2013, 07:47 AM   #118
O'B
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,062
Quote:
Originally Posted by Becktastic View Post
Ha glad you like it. :) It's impossible not to have a blast with Andrea, I'm super glad she is on this trip with me (even though her budget means a lot of sleeping in the dirt) And sometimes it means I miss the ferry and spend a day running around doing paperwork...

Damn!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You were really collecting the big Mo. Good tip.
O'B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 09:06 AM   #119
LongWays
Skiing up a hill...

Oddometer: 5,159
Glad you have found more interesting (and softer ) places to crash your bike than Lake Whatcom Boulevard. Sucks about the thief, but in the end it is just stuff and can be replaced.
Old 11-22-2013, 05:48 AM   #120
adventurebound9517
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 302
HEY LADIES, WHAT'S UP? It's been a while and wondering if everything is all right.
adventurebound9517 is offline   Reply With Quote