User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-18-2013, 12:23 PM   #1
Chiriqui Charlie OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 300
Best route from coast to San Jose?

On my previous trips to San Jose, I always went straight across the mountain from San Isidro. This time I want to take the coast road towards Jaco. I have heard that there is a new highway somewhere that is quicker, but is doesn't show on my maps or GPS. Where does it turn off toward SJ? Is it really a better route to go to SJ central? Is it really better considering that it would have more truck traffic?
Chiriqui Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 01:50 PM   #2
Airhead Wrangler
Adios Mexico

Oddometer: 6,280
You can take highway 243 south from San Isidro to Dominical on the coast. The coastal road north of Dominical was formerly dirt until a few years ago, but they had just about connected both ends of the pavement near Dominical when I went through. There was only about 5-10k of dirt left at that point just over 3 years ago. Dominical is (or maybe was) a pretty chill place to kill a few days. I came through N to S on the coast road, but took a quick zip up to San Isidro and back while staying in Dominical. It's a fun twisty road from San Isidro to Dominical. I can't comment on whether it's better than going through San Jose. It was really quiet when I went through, but now that it's all pavement (I assume) I'd assume there's a lot more truck traffic than I saw. Hopefully someone else will have some more recent info.

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.

Airhead Wrangler screwed with this post 07-18-2013 at 02:00 PM
Airhead Wrangler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 03:13 PM   #3
Chiriqui Charlie OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks for the reply, but I think you misunderstood my question. I don't want to go through San Isidro then over the pass again, I heard about a new highway that goes from further up the coast into SJ.
Old 07-18-2013, 04:07 PM   #4
Airhead Wrangler
Adios Mexico

Oddometer: 6,280
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiriqui Charlie View Post
I think you misunderstood my question.
You're right.

you mean this?

https://www.google.com/maps/preview#...458d!4f1&fid=0

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.
Airhead Wrangler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 06:47 PM   #5
Chiriqui Charlie OP
Gnarly Adventurer

This could be it! And it isn't on my map, so it could be new. It takes me about two and a half hours from San Isidro, so even though this route looks longer it might be faster than going over the pass (although the pass is beautiful in clear weather).
Old 08-08-2013, 05:49 AM   #6
Driftin
Adventurer

Oddometer: 98
That would be the new Highway from SJ to Caldera/Puntarenas. It replaces the old "Aguacate" route. Under construction for 30 plus years and finished about three years ago. You pick it up going north on the Costanera at the Orotina/Puntarenas interchange, taking it in the direction of Orotina. From Dominical the trip in to SJ centro is about three hours. It's a toll road and takes about 1500 colonies to make it to SJ ($3).
Driftin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 05:35 AM   #7
rfaddis
n00b

Oddometer: 2
But, on a bike, the new highway is boring. Take the Orotina exit, go up the mountain towards Atenas and then on to San Jose. Hardly any traffic between Orotina and Atenas these days and the road is nothing but great twisties. And if you still want to be on the new highway you can enter just after Atenas.
rfaddis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 12:25 PM   #8
junglemototours
trailplug

Oddometer: 1,362
Charlie,
It won't save you any time if you're already in San Isidro.....

Wish you could of made the Ujarra ride, good stuff. Need to find a guide to make it to the Caribe side though....
Old 08-15-2013, 01:33 PM   #9
Chiriqui Charlie OP
Gnarly Adventurer

[QUOTE=junglemototours;22108714]Charlie,
It won't save you any time if you're already in San Isidro.....

I normally go through Rio Serrano to San Ysidro, but I am thinking of taking the coast road next time, from Paso Canoas (primarily because I need to purchase CR insurance, not available in RS). Any idea of the expected time difference? Going over the pass can be slow, with fog and rain.
Old 08-16-2013, 09:27 AM   #10
junglemototours
trailplug

Oddometer: 1,362
If you're already on Coast Hwy, it will save you a good hour+ vs Cerro de Muerte.
Old 08-16-2013, 09:33 AM   #11
Chiriqui Charlie OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by junglemototours View Post
If you're already on Coast Hwy, it will save you a good hour+ vs Cerro de Muerte.
Don't mention that name to my wife, she is worried enough already!

Currently, I get from RS to a hotel in SJ in 6 hours.
Old 08-17-2013, 08:16 AM   #12
BeachGuy
Alabama & Costa Rica

Oddometer: 435
Don't Do What I Did!

This little video was taken about 2 years ago coming back from Jaco to San Jose. It was a Sunday afternoon, all the traffic was headed back to the valley from the beaches.

Now before anybody tell me what an idiot I was just remember my wife was on the back and that's why my head kept bouncing back and forth. Left hand right hand action against the back of my helmet. But damn it was fun.

The new highway makes a 2.5 hour ride through the mountains a 45 minute ride with traffic.

Do as I say, not what I do. This was not real smart. I still have dreams of some fool opening his car door after viewing this video.

2010 Ride Report: Orange Beach, AL to Jaco Beach, Costa Rica
2011 Ride Report: Costa Rica to Panama back to Costa Rica
One of the beautiful things about riding solo is the quality of the social experience.
BeachGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 03:44 PM   #13
Kamuk
lost in the ozone again

Oddometer: 113
The info of Driftin and rfaddis is spot on -

Should you follow rfaddis's route thru Orotina on the way there, maybe try the Ciudad Colon - Puriscal - Orotina route on the way back. It is a great loop on scenic roads off of the main highway / toll expressway...
Kamuk is offline   Reply With Quote