User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-18-2013, 05:23 PM   #1
redog1 OP
KLR650-2009

Oddometer: 1,791
Leap-Frogging the OBCDR and Oregon backroads

Ok, here we go. Several months ago I threw out an invitation to my 2 closest friends, inmates Surfrider26 aka Kyle and Lionsroaar aka Jason also new good friend and local riding buddy BanhXeo aka Jeramie. The invitation went like this, "Hey guys, I'm going to ride the OBCDR in July, date to be determined. You are are all welcome to join me if you like. It will be the 1st or 2nd weekend of July and I'll be taking a week off of work to do it". Well, everyone was on board and the planning began. I obtained tracks from another inmate and began editing and adjusting plans to fit what I wanted to do, I also did my best to verify fuel stops as Jasons Husky has a small fuel tank. One thing was to see Crater Lake, never been there. As the date got closer Jeramie had to bow out, logistics just weren't working for him, he and I were both disappointed but it is what it is. The weekend before the departure date Kyle sustained an injury while working out that will be requiring surgery. Another huge bummer, get well soon bud and heal quick, the Coast is calling .
That left my riding partner Jason. He was still on board and as the departure day came but on that day his butt was dragging. I received a call Friday the 12th at 8:47am "hey man, I'm running a little behind and went to load the bike and saw my rear tire flat". Me: dude, I thought youl'd be on the road by now, get that thing loaded up and we'll deal with it on this end" Jason, "ok, I'm on my way" . Goober! He had at least a 3 hour drive to get to my place.
Anyways, he finally gets here and we commence to resolveing his flat issue.

With the flat tire repaired we finally get on the road and make the 3-4 hour drive to my property up by Mt. Shasta

We get there at around 7pm after stopping for dinner at the Black Bear Diner. We get a good nights sleep in preperation for the begining of the ride the next morning. We're up early and on the road at about 7-8am.

Some people are just not a morning person. I tried to get him to have some coffee but noooooo!

This wouldn't be the only time I'm told I'm number one on this trip.

Jason thought the pic below was amusing,

As opposed to bad food before?

We stopped for gas and breakfast in Klamath Falls, 70 miles from my place and were soon on the road again.
From Klamath Falls we took Hwy 140 to Rocky point then Forest rd. 34 to Hwy 62 on up to Crater Lake. It was along Hwy 62 where we came upon a turnout where you could veiw the "Pinnacles".

Better look,

The mighty steeds. Jasons' Husky TE610 and my KLR650 both '09 models.
Jason and I have done several trips together so we're very familiar with each others riding.

On to Crater Lake (my apologies for some of these pics being blurry, my eyes aren't what they used to be, I was trying to shoot these in HDR with my camera/phone and there's a lot of glare on the screen. Hard to see how they turned out until uploaded and seeing a larger sized. Any of you that's done ride reports knows what I'm talking about).

Jason pic, better than mine.

Crater Lake is the deepest lake in the U.S. at 1943 feet. 6.02 miles wide and holds 4.9 trillion gallons of water. 7700 years ago a massive volcanic eruption left the deep basin where the mountian peak once stood. Centuies of rain and snaw filled the basin forming a deep blue lake whose waters are of unmatched color and clarity. The lake is so blue because other colors of the spectrum are absorbed. Blue wavelengths are scattered and seen by the human eye.

After spending a short time marveling over the deep blue color and how the surrounding trees and colors of the mountain sides made the blue stand out even more, it was time to get back on the road. I took off and Jason was right behind me but a 1/4 mile down the road I look back and Jason is no longer with me. I pulled over and waited, and waited, and waited. I turned around and went back, there he was on the side of the road with a flat rear tire. WHAT THE @&$#*. We went into flat repair mode. I'm sure Jason will chime in here so I'll take a break.
Flat repair in process,

We fought this thing pretty good.

Back on the road we start making our way eastward toward our first overnight spot in the Silver Lake area.

redog1 screwed with this post 01-05-2014 at 11:54 AM
redog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 08:38 PM   #2
LittleWan
You can do it!

Oddometer: 1,706
Hey redog1, Lionsroaar -

Yay, you did it!

Nice to see your RR, I hope you guys had a great time on the OBCDR.

You're off to a fine start with Crater Lake...
LittleWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 07:26 PM   #3
redog1 OP
KLR650-2009

hey LilWan

Yep, finally made it and a big thanks to you and BigWan for all of your help and support. Had a blast although we didn't do it all, we edited some things along the way but saw a lot of beautiful country. Stay tuned, a little carnage will be forth coming.
Old 07-19-2013, 09:42 PM   #4
redog1 OP
KLR650-2009

Continueing day 1...

...after getting Jasons' flat repaired we continued north to Hwy 138 and took a left towards Diamond Lake where there was fuel available. After filling up we back tracked to Hwy 97 and turned left for a few miles then right onto forest road 86.

Finally on dirt, I was happy. I think Jason was too and we (he) found out how dusty it was. VERY! This is where the Leap-Frogging in the title comes from. We took turns leading so neither of us was always in the rear eating dust. We basicly played Leap-Frog all of the way accross Oregon. There was no breeze so it just hung in the air for quite some time. We cruised into Silver Lake to pick up some liquid fermented refreshments and discussed with the local gal at the store where the best campground was. Turns out she really didn't know although she led us to believe she did . There were 3 fairly close campgrounds and we chose Thompson Res. East Bay campground. Nice campground but when the wind blew just right you could have sworn you were camped right in the middle of a feedlot. Holly jees louise it stunk! The wind blowing "just right" only occured a few times so in all it really wasn't that bad and after a couple of beers we were ready for bed anyways. Just before we went to bed a family of travelers came and set up right next to us, REALLY! there's 20 other sites empty, you had to be right next door.
Little did they know the treat they were in for.
Just arrived.

Jason relaxing a little before setting his tent up due to the bugs. He thought about sleeping in his hamack for awhile until the bugs convinced him otherwise.

Jasons' first thought for a bed.

Thompson Lake

Ok, now for the rest of the story with the neighbors. we went to bed and it seemed the neighbors got a little louder, the kids were loud, that's to be expected. I was laying there listening to all of the goings on and after a short while it was obvious that Jason had no problem getting to sleep. Sounds were coming from his tent that sound like 2 grizzlies were getting it on. Damn that boy could SNORE!!! It took about 10-15 minutes before the neighbors identified what and where the noise was coming from. The little girl says to her mother "you want me to go over and kick his tent and wake him up?" mom says, "no that's why we bring ear plugs". I laughed to myself while I drifted off to sleep. I was indeed amused.
Early the next morning we were up having our Mountian House breakfast or Oatmeal and coffee or what ever. Usually we were rolling by about 8am. We got on the road and soon we were in Christmas Valley where we would officially begin our version of the OBCDR. After gassing up-uh, excuse me, I'd better be careful how I use that as it could be taken different ways, there was always plenty of "gas" to go around. Too much info? After fueling in Christmas Valley we were rolling again and came to dirt soon enough. First it was fast gravel roads, cruised by some sand dunes, Jason has a picture of those, and soon we were cruiseing some fairly smooth sandy roads. These were not a problem on our heavily loaded bikes but you had to watch for the deep sugar sand spots. Just short sections but they could get you if you were too complacent.

We stopped for some reason (I don't remember why) but I noticed Jasons' rear tire looked a little low so we checked it, only 10 lbs, a little low for the load he was carrying. Well after dicking around with my electric pump he eventually ended up with 0 psi. Well crap!!! I break out the manual bicycle pump I carry as a back-up and we finally get 20psi in his tire. I always carry at least 2 ways to air up a tire and a patch kit . I think jason was glad I did. I catch a lot of crap for how much stuff I haul around but I like to be self-sufficient.
Where we were stopped.

Artsy tree posing for a pic.

In their element and HAPPY!

Rolling along we eventually leave the Juniper Trees behind and venture out into the open desert. The first of about a half dozen gates to get through.

Heading into more open terrain.

Looking toward where we were going, as always pics just don't do the road justice. This was a rough section going accross the desert. Jason and I had 2 different sets of tracks from 2 different soures but they were matching up perfectly. This is ROCKY terrain! I like rocky stuff. I seem to do well in it, even on what's estimated to be a 750lb steed when fully loaded and my fat ass on it . I made it accross this just fine, although I did hit my left foot on a concealed rock that had my leg reverberating for about 2 hours. Had I not been wearing good boots, the ride would have ended here with a broken foot. Also, had I been riding alone, I probably would have turned around and skipped this part. Hard to say unless I was actually in that situation, I try to error to the side of caution when I ride alone. To continue in this section if I were by myself would have been a tough and possibly a foolish decision. It was hot and shade was limited. Things could go bad in a hurry. Spot may be on my wish list. BTW, Jason did have a spotfinder.

Sorry for this horribly blurry picture but it's the only one that I have of where we started losing the trail. We actually did lose the trail but could see the road we were heading for and both gps's showed we were still on route.

Jason's pic of where we lost the trail,

the road we were heading towards,

We boondocked it through the sagebrush and reached the road we saw ahead of us. at this point it was primarily gates, sandy roads and some mildly rocky stuff to deal with until we reached Camp Gap Ranch at Hwy 20.

At this point we needed to head to Riley for fuel and discuss our stradegy. Jason and I have been riding together for awhile now, about 5 years and have been friends since 1998. We know each other pretty well and share a lot of the same likes, dislikes. We both happen to get bored with the desert very quickly and we already wanted to get to some conifers. We both love the mountains and the scenery that they have to offer. Desert, a little goes a long ways with us. So instead of fueling in Riley and after making the decision to slab it to Seneca we headed to Hines for food and fuel.

That was a damn good burger . The place, Apple Peddler Rest.
We slabbed it to Seneca, saw a gas station but it looked closed, this was Sunday evening, so we went on to Canyon City for fuel and liquid fermented refreshments along the lines of a six-pac of Mikes Hard Lemonade. Mixed bag if you will, compliments of Jason. On the way to Canyon City we stopped to check out Starr Campground, looked good and we found a spot in the back that was very peaceful and really nice. Jason fell in love with this campground. I liked it also but I prefer to be close to water but that's my little quirk. Please excuse me and indulge me while I go on a little rant here, the spot we found had recently been left, there was a fire still burning, seriously. There was a slight breeze blowing, this is how forest fires start and considering how dry the conditions were it wouldn't have taken much. There was no campground host. I was PISSED to say the least, as much as I was at the asshat that threw out his cigarette butt in front of me on the way to work this morning. Shit people, think about what you're doing . End of rant.

Another pic of Star Campground

We amused ourselves with the use intructions on the package of wipes,

Really, 8 wipes needed to clean yourself up. I only need 2 max for my big ass.

We had a nice quiet night and again we were up early and under way by 8am. We stopped in Seneca at this little place and enquired as to whether or not they had fuel. Sure do. Topped off and exchanged pleasantries and we were on our way. In doing my research I couldn't determine for sure if there was fuel available in Seneca, I'm passing along that there is in fact fuel there. If nobody is there, there is a phone number on the door that you could call.

That's all for now. I'll continue on with day 3 soon.

redog1 screwed with this post 01-05-2014 at 12:13 PM
Old 07-21-2013, 04:25 PM   #5
redog1 OP
KLR650-2009

Day 3 began by topping off fuel...

...in Seneca but before I get started, just a comment on the ride between Burns Or. and Seneca, while we skipped a short portion of the OBCDR between Riley and Seneca, it was still a beautiful ride up Hwy 395 to Canyon City. Nice curvy route through lush green meadows and canyons.
Ok, Leaving Seneca we headed east through some more beautiful valleys and meadows,

One of the roads we hit shortly out of Seneca.

and soon connected with some more smooth gravel roads that soon turned to regular dirt and rock forest service roads. Now this is more like what I was expecting. Sorry not many pics here, I guess I just got into enjoying the ride. We came to Frazier Lookout, standard OBCDR pics.

Soon after Fraizer Lookout we came to our first creek crossing. Jason waited and I went 1st, easy-peasy. Come on Jason .

it was actually pretty smooth,

whew! he made it.

I was worried for a bit, NOT, Jasons' a pretty good rider, outride me on his worst day.
It was beautiful here but we didn't waste too much time getting back on the trail.

Nice veiw.

I stopped here at this intersection and waited for Jason so he could take the lead for awhile. More fast gravel road.

and there he goes.....VROOM VROOM.

My first flowers for the ladies following along, or whoever likes flower pics.

As we rode along we got into more remote areas, roads more to my liking, more like jeep trails and I was really digging it. Stopped to take a couple of pics to let Jason get more of a lead so the dust would settle a little more.

Some spots were smooth like this one, some were rougher, shortly after this where we started heading downhill. Got rockier etc...

So I'm cruising along and I come across Jason standing by his bike kind of gathering himself together and he explains that he just went down pretty hard. WHAT?! I ask, he said, "yeah, I was looking down at my gps and when I looked up I was heading for this tree across the road, grabbed full brakes and went into a slide, rear tire caught a rut and flipped me off the bike. Landed on my shoulder (can't remember right or left, help me out here Jason) and felt something pop. Don't feel like anythings broke but my back and shoulder hurt like hell" Me, "you sure you are all right, need a vicoden?" "No, not right now, well see how things progress".
The tree. recent blow down.

We set forth finding a way around it. Decided on a route and off I went. No pics of me on the pig, Jason was still a little pre-occupied but here's Jason making his way through the woods.
Find Jason,

I'm on the other side of the downed tree taking these.

Here he comes.

Almost back on the road.

So we're both on the side of the tree we need to be on, Jason is sore and we're in the middle of nowhere. Only option is to continue on. Looking back, how it all played out, it was the best outcome. Had he hit the tree he possibly would have been more seriously hurt and the bike rendered unridable. Not a good situation. I'm glad my bud wasn't hurt any worse than he was and hope he is healing up just fine. Damage to the bike, broken gps mount and radiator shroud. For those who have ridden the OBCDR, we were between the 2 creek crossings when this happened.
With that behind us we continued on and came to our next creek crossing. We decided to take a rest here, try and repair the gps mount and take a much needed bath. . I'll let the pics tell the story here.

Jason tried to repair his Ram Mount,

While I took my bath,

Then it was Jasons turn,

NO, he wasn't naked.

The water was cold at first but after 20-30 seconds it actually felt good. It really felt good to be clean, although it didn't last long with the dusty conditions and all. Jason was unable to repair the gps mount so borrowed the ram mount for the spot finder and relocated the spot to his tank bag.
I'll be sending him my ram mount that's not being used.

Sure is pretty up here.

Leaving the refreshing creek behind we continued on. I couldn't help but be concerned for Jason and his back. Wondering what kind of pain he was riding with, but he rode on.
What is this?

anybody?

We continued our ride making our way to Unity. Pretty country.

We came around a corner and berfore us was this site. Bark beatle infestation. WHAT A TINDERBOX! Scarey stuff here.

Looking out towards Unity Or.

We got to Unity and had an early dinner. It was about 3pm and we decided it was too early to stop. I think we would do ourselves a huge favor to slow the pace a bit and stop sooner so we could get more rest. We tend to burn out too quickly but we both get bored if we stop too soon. We're both in it for the ride. We continued and ended up in the Sumpter, actually at Phillips Resv. and stopped there for the night.

Sundown looking Northeast.

Looking West.

That's the end of day three. I'll finish this up sometime this week.

redog1 screwed with this post 01-05-2014 at 01:24 PM
Old 07-22-2013, 05:35 PM   #6
LittleWan
You can do it!

Sorry to hear about Jason's shoulder, hope he's healing up now...

Hey, when you were up at Frazier Lookout, did you check on the OBCDR safety cone?

It was up on top of this old tree...

As far as I know, he's been sitting up there since august 11, 2012.
Or, some squirrel has a nice pillow.
Old 07-22-2013, 08:16 PM   #7
redog1 OP
KLR650-2009

Pissed OH Man!!!!

I forgot it was even up there. I would have grabbed it in a second being a geo cacher and all. Son-of-a-Biscut. Poor lonely little cone . I may just have to go back. I could do that in a 3 day weekend.
Old 07-23-2013, 10:18 AM   #8
LittleWan
You can do it!

Aw, I was hoping you checked!

But, it's not your fault. it's impossible to find anything in my stupid RRs...
Well, if you feel like taking a look sometime, the cone info is at the bottom of this post.
Old 07-23-2013, 01:45 PM   #9
redog1 OP
KLR650-2009

I remember reading it...

and seeing the pictures you posted of it, I just completely forgot about it. Been awhile since I read your RR. I still need to ride the south east portion of this route so that's on my to do list.
How come nobody posts pics of the portion between Christmas Valley and Riley. Kind of a rhetorical question, the answer for myself is, I was too busy gettin through the rocks. How was the ride for you as pillion on that portion. bouncy huh?
Old 07-23-2013, 03:50 PM   #10
LittleWan
You can do it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by redog1 View Post
How come nobody posts pics of the portion between Christmas Valley and Riley.

Hmm.
I think a better question is "how come nobody looks at posts of pics of the portion between Christmas Valley and Riley?"

2010 Summer of Stupid
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleWan View Post

“Make slow-ass rocky shit your favorite!”

2012 Gettin' Dirty
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleWan View Post
Day 51: 8/11/12 continued
Cranes Crossing to Christmas Valley, OR 263 miles

You OBDR vets might recognize this...
There aren’t many things out here other than sagebrush, but this is one of them.

Otherwise, it’s mostly just 2 track and sagebrush.

Heh heh, I'm just busting your balls,
Brien

I figure we have this report all to ourselves, might as well have some fun!
(Where's Lionsroaar?? When he hurt his shoulder, did he bust up his typing paw? )

Old 07-23-2013, 04:03 PM   #11
redog1 OP
KLR650-2009

Laugh It's all good...

I don't remember seeing those pics. Maybe I'd better go back and re-read your report.
I don't know where Lionsroaar is, maybe he doesn't want to participate or he's just busy with family. I'm sure he'll chime in in a bit, he's not one to miss an opportunity for some good fun sarcasim.
Been plenty of veiws but no comments. It's all good. I do it for my own amusement. I have to something to entertain myself.
Old 07-23-2013, 10:07 PM   #12
Rainier_runner
Epic Adventurer

Oddometer: 285
Subscribed!

This ride is on my short list!
Old 07-24-2013, 08:14 PM   #13
redog1 OP
KLR650-2009

Hey Rainier runner, thanks for jumping on board...

And thanks to anyone else who's following along. I appreciate the support even if you don't post, it's all good.
Now let's see if I can wrap this up.
We last left our dynamic duo at Phillips Resv. for the evening where we dicussed our stradegy for the next day. Again we're going to do some editing. Jasons' shoulder was hurting, we've been riding hard and were getting tired so we chose to slab it to Baker City and then to LaGrande. I'm glad we did, I've been across I-84 sooooooo many times driving truck that this gave me the opportunity to see these two towns from a different perspective. The ride to Baker City was nice, a cool morning along a creek I didn't even know was there, beautiful creek. Baker City actually looked like a nice place. LaGrande, I've always liked and I've always wanted to have the opportunity to explore those roads that led off into the forest from the freeway. Opportunity, sometimes we create those opportunities ourselves and this trip was part of that. It was awesome turning north and picking up the OBCDR just out of LaGrande. Come ride with us.
The roads were awesome, smooth gravel, easy riding. I wish I would have taken more pics but I was enjoying it so much we just took it all in.

We did have a few sprikles on this day but not enough to help with the dust situation so we were spread out quite aways.
This picture is my favorite of the entire trip. Just something about these pics really tell the story.

That's my bud Jason taking it all in.
Just a shot of the forest in the next picture. It was so green up there, it was like spring time, unlike down here in Calif. where the heat has everything dried out.

Ok ladies and all who like flowers, the next series of pics are of the flowers like we see in the springtime around here, my favorite time of the year BTW.

another awesome veiw.

more flowers,

There were times where we were riding on top of the ridgeline where it was really steep on both sides. Because I have a horrible fear of heights, this gave me the hee-bee-jee-bees on a couple of different occasions. I'm ok if one side is uphill and the other is down, but when they're both downhill I just feel like I'm going to be sucked over the edge. Not a good feeling. I deal with it. I know I'm a wuss, SO WHAT!?

I've only got 2 pictures left so this'll wrap up in a hurry.
We popped out on County hwy 204, sat and talked about what we wanted to do, finish it on up to Walla-Walla WA. or call it good and begin making our way back south. Well, we were good so we headed west on Hwy 204 to Athena and picked up Hwy 11 and headed south towards Pendleton. Little did we know what a long day this would turn into but it was some good twisty riding after awhile, 367 miles for the day and about 11 hours of seat time. We hit Hwy 395 south out of Pendleton and took Hwy 74 into Hepner for fuel. Hepner was a nice little town. The road between Pendleton and Hepner was so twisty I actually started getting a little case of vertigo in the sharper curves, 20-25mph, so I had to slow down a little. I've had this happen riding Hwy 1 here in Calif. also. From Hepner we took Hwy 207 to Spray and then grabbed Hwy 19 to Mitchell where we were able to get some fuel and food. The options were limited to one fueling spot and one place to get something to eat, neither of us were thrilled with the menu selction but we made due. We were hungry. At that point we had discussed camping for the night at the nearest camground but decided we wanted a motel room and a shower, off to Prineville we went down Hwy 26. All of the roads between Pendleton and Mitchell were awesome, had a close encouter with a deer at one point but all was good.
This is the little Oregon Motel in Mitchell next to the diner we ate in.

We got to Prineville and after some calling around, Jasons' efforts, found a room at the EconoLodge. Took a quick shower and headed to the Tastie Treat before they closed for a milkshake, Banana Cream Pie for me . The next morning we were up early, had breakfast at the Apple Peddler and beat feet down Hwy 97 to our staging point. It was hot so we decided to load up and head home where we Bar-B-Qued some steaks, baked potatoe, baked beans and corn on the cob. Good stuff, Alaskan Amber. MMMMMM!!!!!

Ride on everyone.
Just got off the phone with my bud Jason, He's been trying to post but having technical difficulties. Stand by, he'll be on board.
Thanks for riding along. Another good ride in the books.

redog1 screwed with this post 01-05-2014 at 01:29 PM
Old 07-25-2013, 08:13 AM   #14
8lives
Dharma Bum

Oddometer: 1,841
Great thread,great pics,thanks for sharing!!!!!!!
8lives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 08:35 AM   #15
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,806
Thanks! It takes some work to put these reports together but well worth it!

I would have loved to ride along as we discussed in Butte Meadows,but things with my mom's health are keeping me at home,day trips only at present.

My DR is ready to roll though,hopefully I can get out for a multi day trip this summer/fall.