ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > 2 smokers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-18-2013, 10:08 PM   #1
brucifer OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
brucifer's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: Eureka, Ca.
Oddometer: 2,312
What's a Better Sand Bike--CR500 or KX500

Hey guys, I've been toying with the idea of picking up one of these bikes to ride at our local off-road park that is situated on the shore of the Pacific Ocean.
I used to ride out there quite often back in the '80s when you could ride for miles legally but unfortunately the area has been reduced to acreage.
Anyhow I want something fairly light with lots of power to ride with my buddy and his 700 Raptor. Must be cheap and cheap to maintain and I think that pretty much describes both of these 500s.
Probably be looking for a mid '90s up model.

Thanks for any input.
__________________
2014 Kawasaki KLR650 NE-2008 Yamaha TTR110-2006 Buell XB12SS-1996 Honda XR600R-1993 Kawasaki KX500-1984 Honda XL600R/XR650L Hybrid-1984 Yamaha TT600L-1977 Yamaha TT500-1980 Honda CB750F
brucifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 05:32 AM   #2
anotherguy
Banned
 
anotherguy's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Location: the hills
Oddometer: 6,212
Both are beasts with much power. In my experience I've seen more than a few KX500 with 3rd gear issues. Not so many issues on CR500.
anotherguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 11:36 AM   #3
Twin-shocker
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2012
Oddometer: 1,673
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucifer View Post
Hey guys, I've been toying with the idea of picking up one of these bikes to ride at our local off-road park that is situated on the shore of the Pacific Ocean.
I used to ride out there quite often back in the '80s when you could ride for miles legally but unfortunately the area has been reduced to acreage.
Anyhow I want something fairly light with lots of power to ride with my buddy and his 700 Raptor. Must be cheap and cheap to maintain and I think that pretty much describes both of these 500s.
Probably be looking for a mid '90s up model.

Thanks for any input.

I would have thought that a bike which is easy to start, might be worth looking at, before opting for a hard to start difficult to ride 500?
Twin-shocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 12:39 PM   #4
PistonPants
Crankcase Scavenger
 
PistonPants's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: Cantwell, AK
Oddometer: 409
Don't bite at the bait.
PistonPants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 12:57 PM   #5
Twin-shocker
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2012
Oddometer: 1,673
Quote:
Originally Posted by PistonPants View Post
Don't bite at the bait.

You got an easy method to start a 500cc MX bike? None of those I had started that well, and simply cant see the point of having one for playbike use.
Twin-shocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 01:23 PM   #6
brucifer OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
brucifer's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: Eureka, Ca.
Oddometer: 2,312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twin-shocker View Post
I would have thought that a bike which is easy to start, might be worth looking at, before opting for a hard to start difficult to ride 500?
I don't have a problem starting them. Difficult to ride? Fun, I say!
Maybe not so much fun in tight, technical single track but wide open beach and sand dunes? Kick arse!

Now....which is better suited for the sand--the CR or KX??
__________________
2014 Kawasaki KLR650 NE-2008 Yamaha TTR110-2006 Buell XB12SS-1996 Honda XR600R-1993 Kawasaki KX500-1984 Honda XL600R/XR650L Hybrid-1984 Yamaha TT600L-1977 Yamaha TT500-1980 Honda CB750F
brucifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 01:25 PM   #7
PistonPants
Crankcase Scavenger
 
PistonPants's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: Cantwell, AK
Oddometer: 409
However lots of people do. Like brucifer. His question was pretty specific. Your response had nothing to do with his query. Besides nothing else hits like a 500 2T motocrosser.
Piston
PistonPants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 01:53 PM   #8
brucifer OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
brucifer's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: Eureka, Ca.
Oddometer: 2,312
Quote:
Originally Posted by PistonPants View Post
Besides nothing else hits like a 500 2T motocrosser.
Piston
And that's what I love about them. They're just such overkill!
__________________
2014 Kawasaki KLR650 NE-2008 Yamaha TTR110-2006 Buell XB12SS-1996 Honda XR600R-1993 Kawasaki KX500-1984 Honda XL600R/XR650L Hybrid-1984 Yamaha TT600L-1977 Yamaha TT500-1980 Honda CB750F
brucifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 07:40 PM   #9
bigzack
6'6" of awesome
 
bigzack's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Location: Ephrata, WA
Oddometer: 57
I hear they start and run better with Taiwanese Epay carbs, Chinese CDIs and thinned down Autolube oil.
Z
bigzack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 09:07 PM   #10
PistonPants
Crankcase Scavenger
 
PistonPants's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: Cantwell, AK
Oddometer: 409
According to your 'internet sources'?
PistonPants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 09:29 PM   #11
81cr450
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2011
Location: Piute ATV trails Utah , Dreaming of Baja
Oddometer: 93
I really cant fuckin believe how hard it is for an answer on here, half the replys should just be in the basement

C5 bullet proof & has massive snap, power right now. I LOVE 86's have had 89 90 98 2000 & 2 86's

K5 most power over a broader rpm hands down. My personal only 1 bike pick. A little hinky in some areas like the frame is kinda light duty & they shoulda bolted on gears & sprockets instead of snap rings . But a cylinder replate with a big bore & you'll smoke most anything & has a higher top speed with the powervalve offering a wider spread of power. Get a clean one, low hour , even if it costs a bit more. When the motors done , there done, no quick piston & re-bore like the cr but well worth it. Either bike & you wont be sorry but if you want the fastest go K5. You could also get a ktm500 or 550 2 smoke the mid 90's 550 is sposed to be sweet but never had one yet.

ps you can trail ride a 500 & its easier to ride than a 250 cause they lug, but if you've never tried & are just a doucher on the net...
81cr450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 06:12 AM   #12
brucifer OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
brucifer's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: Eureka, Ca.
Oddometer: 2,312
Quote:
Originally Posted by 81cr450 View Post
I really cant fuckin believe how hard it is for an answer on here, half the replys should just be in the basement

C5 bullet proof & has massive snap, power right now. I LOVE 86's have had 89 90 98 2000 & 2 86's

K5 most power over a broader rpm hands down. My personal only 1 bike pick. A little hinky in some areas like the frame is kinda light duty & they shoulda bolted on gears & sprockets instead of snap rings . But a cylinder replate with a big bore & you'll smoke most anything & has a higher top speed with the powervalve offering a wider spread of power. Get a clean one, low hour , even if it costs a bit more. When the motors done , there done, no quick piston & re-bore like the cr but well worth it. Either bike & you wont be sorry but if you want the fastest go K5. You could also get a ktm500 or 550 2 smoke the mid 90's 550 is sposed to be sweet but never had one yet.



ps you can trail ride a 500 & its easier to ride than a 250 cause they lug, but if you've never tried & are just a doucher on the net...
Good info here. What is it about the '86 CR500 you love?
I'm selling my '84 mainly because this particular bike should have a full restoration but also the appalling design of the kick starter--it's high, short and slams the top of your foot into the foot peg.
__________________
2014 Kawasaki KLR650 NE-2008 Yamaha TTR110-2006 Buell XB12SS-1996 Honda XR600R-1993 Kawasaki KX500-1984 Honda XL600R/XR650L Hybrid-1984 Yamaha TT600L-1977 Yamaha TT500-1980 Honda CB750F
brucifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 06:35 AM   #13
Rokoneer
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2006
Location: Upstate, You Nork
Oddometer: 531
Why screw around with a 500? Bigger is better, and it even has a compression release for 'easy' starting....
Rokoneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 06:44 AM   #14
JeffS77
cheap bastard
 
JeffS77's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: Riverside , CA
Oddometer: 3,319
Really can't help you but visions of Danny Hamel kickng ass for team green make me lean toward the KX ... Plus in my neck of the woods the KX seem to be found in better condition for cheaper thn then CR.
JeffS77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 06:44 AM   #15
brucifer OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
brucifer's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: Eureka, Ca.
Oddometer: 2,312
RE: ATK
If I could find one cheap enough! Those things come in 500, 600 and 700cc as I recall.
I remember reading a test on them and the author preferred the 600. Said the 700 was kinda like a diesel and didn't change RPM much.
__________________
2014 Kawasaki KLR650 NE-2008 Yamaha TTR110-2006 Buell XB12SS-1996 Honda XR600R-1993 Kawasaki KX500-1984 Honda XL600R/XR650L Hybrid-1984 Yamaha TT600L-1977 Yamaha TT500-1980 Honda CB750F
brucifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 08:12 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014