Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > 2 smokers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-22-2013, 11:14 PM   #31
Rot Box
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 191
CR vs. KX in the sand.... Hmm... The KX gets my vote (not by much) for sand but the CR wins everywhere else. While they both haven't changed a whole lot since the late 80's the CR feels a little more modern to me personally. Hard to start? No. Easy to start? No.

As far as dirt bikes go 500's rule the dunes--a healthy 250 heck even the 300-380 KTM's/450 4T's can't compare. There's nothing quite like it They're a lot of fun on the trail too. Loads of torque and very predictable power.

While we're on the subject here's my 84 CR500R. 520cc (91mm) major head/port work, 39mm PWK air striker carb. Pro-Action suspension... It makes me feel young again! My friends bike is a 92 Yamaha WR500 which is a hoot I really like that bike. They came with a wide ratio trans, large fuel tank, kickstand and suspension tuned for trail riding amongst other things not found on the motocross bred bikes. No shortage of power either.

Old 07-23-2013, 02:08 AM   #32
rpmwfo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 133

I love my KX500. It has built motor. Tons of power everywhere. Dead simple. Easy enough to start. I keep waiting for RPMmfg to come out with a replacement head with the compression release for easier starting.

I would like to find a CR500AF for a good price to try out though.

For wide open running I like the stability of the KX. I like the ergos of the CR, but didn't feel as comfortable blasting in the desert.
2003 ZX12R
2013 KTM RC8R
rpmwfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 05:18 AM   #33
Twin-shocker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,673
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpmwfo View Post

I love my KX500. It has built motor. Tons of power everywhere. Dead simple. Easy enough to start. I keep waiting for RPMmfg to come out with a replacement head with the compression release for easier starting.

I would like to find a CR500AF for a good price to try out though.

For wide open running I like the stability of the KX. I like the ergos of the CR, but didn't feel as comfortable blasting in the desert.

I think the later KX's had the cylinders drilled just above the exhaust port to make starting easier. But I guess it would be pretty easy to modify a stock head to accept a chainsaw decompressor, which would probably work better than the hole in cylinder wall.
Twin-shocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 05:25 AM   #34
brucifer OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,274
Lots of great info here guys, thanks!
I'm really not concerned with having the latest and greatest suspension, the older stuff works just fine for me. I'm sure the '98 YZ250 I mentioned would work fine for me as well but I've made the decision to stick with a 500.
I also want to keep the buy-in price low as well, which means I'll be looking at the older bikes. I don't mind having to do some work to the bike. I do all the wrenching myself and get a pretty decent discount on parts at my local dealers.

Andrew (Rot Box)- You've done an excellent job on your '84. Very nice bike.
I've thought about the Yamaha WR500 as well as the late '80s YZ490s. I rarely seem them for sale locally.

A little FYI. I'm sure my Husaberg would do everything I want on the sand. It has every bit the power of a two-stroke 500 (maybe more) and pulls hard from idle to redline. I just don't want to beat on it in the sand. I'm a conservative, flowing style off-road rider having learned how to use momentum growing up riding under powered bikes.
So basically I'm looking for a two-stroke to go out and cut loose on and not be concerned about breaking it. Just beat on it, baby!
Old 07-23-2013, 05:41 AM   #35
Twin-shocker
Beastly Adventurer

Nothing wrong with an older bike, but many of these are badly worn, and you do need to look pretty closely at things like rear units, which can be costly to repair/replace.
Old 07-23-2013, 11:17 AM   #36
jar944
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 564
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twin-shocker View Post
You got an easy method to start a 500cc MX bike? None of those I had started that well, and simply cant see the point of having one for playbike use.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PistonPants View Post
Don't bite at the bait.
must... resist...

AAAAArgh

T-S
Either you cant jet a bike correctly or you dont know how to find TDC, option 2 is moot with a decomp.

As for the OP's question the K5's are generally easier to find and cheaper, however aftermarket support is considerably smaller then the CR.

IMHO get a CR5

jar944 screwed with this post 07-23-2013 at 11:23 AM
jar944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 01:10 PM   #37
Twin-shocker
Beastly Adventurer

500 2T MX bikes are far harder to start than most other 2T machines, but can be made much easier to start by fitting a cheap chainsaw decompressor valve into the head.

Flooding the carb, rather than using the choke also tends to make them start easier, but still never ever going to as user friendly as a smaller capacity bike, which for most people is easier to ride faster than an open class bike.
Old 07-23-2013, 01:18 PM   #38
stainlesscycle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,145
Quote:
Flooding the carb, rather than using the choke also tends to make them start easier, but still never ever going to as user friendly as a smaller capacity bike, which for most people is easier to ride faster than an open class bike.
awesome. so tell us which big bore 2 stroke you have owned?
07 gasgas xc300-94 duc 900ss-86 morini camel (2)-84 IT200-83 IT175-78 guzzi lm1-77 pursang 250-76 morini 3 1/2 strada-76 frankentaco pursang 200-74 frankentaco pursang 200-74 morini 3 1/2 sport-74 mz ts250/0-74 puch 175 (3)-73 can-am 175tnt-71 guzzi frankeneldo-71 ossa Stiletto-70 frankentaco sherpa s(2)-66 morini corsarino(2)-63 morini corsaro + many more
stainlesscycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 01:51 PM   #39
slideways
permanent ex-pat

Oddometer: 5,457
Quote:
Originally Posted by stainlesscycle View Post
Don't hold your breath waiting for an answer.

How do you like your Gas Gas?

I am looking at either a new XC 300 or XC 250 for my next bike

Upper Italian Lakes report.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=160841

South Africa, Swaziland, Botswana ride report
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=454490

Great CanAm Tour
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=476605
slideways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 02:01 PM   #40
Twin-shocker
Beastly Adventurer

500 2T MX bikes are far harder to start than most other 2T machines, but can be made much easier to start by fitting a cheap chainsaw decompressor valve into the head.

Old 07-23-2013, 03:38 PM   #41
jar944
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Flooding the carb, rather than using the choke also tends to make them start easier
No.

If you have to stand on your head and do a carb dance you do not have a correctly jetted bike.
Old 07-23-2013, 04:29 PM   #42
81cr450
Adventurer

Oddometer: 93
Quote:
I think the later KX's had the cylinders drilled just above the exhaust port to make starting easier. But I guess it would be pretty easy to modify a stock head to accept a chainsaw decompressor, which would probably work better than the hole in cylinder wall.
Nope they over closed the powervalves to vent a little extra compression. It also causes a decel idle surge from over scavenging.

Quote:

Really he does have a point on the tip start though, it works even when the jetting is on. On a dead cold bike that has sat long enough to evaporate the fuel in the carb bowl. When it's hot the fuel can evap in as little as a week, & it does save some kicks working out the air pocket
81cr450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 05:59 PM   #43
jar944
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 81cr450 View Post
Nope they over closed the powervalves to vent a little extra compression. It also causes a decel idle surge from over scavenging.

Really he does have a point on the tip start though, it works even when the jetting is on. On a dead cold bike that has sat long enough to evaporate the fuel in the carb bowl. When it's hot the fuel can evap in as little as a week, & it does save some kicks working out the air pocket
The ktms had the hole.

2-3 very slow priming kicks does the same thing w/o leaning the bike over or blowing into the vent tube like some think is necessary.

I do nothing more than a priming kick if the carb has been off or the bike has been sitting for a extended period. It will typically start w/ 1 real kick cold.
Old 07-23-2013, 06:42 PM   #44
rpmwfo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 133
I typically just rock the bike back and forth in 2nd gear a few times, choke it and it lights off if it has been sitting. Not bad in the driveway. I did the KIPS bolt mod so it is a little harder to start. Usually where I have trouble is on a trail somewhere that is off camber with bad footing.

The grin factor is way high on 500 2T bikes for the dollar. I picked one up because I always wanted to try one. I am able to ride desert terrain fastest on my XR650R but get a bigger grin out of the KX5.

Check craigslist. There are usually 500's(CR or KX) for pretty cheap. Get whichever one comes up in decent condition cheap. Find another rear wheel and throw a paddle on it. You will have more fun beating it in the dunes compared to a 250.(especially with a paddle).

There is a reason everyone loves them as sand bikes. Cheap. Powerful. Take a beating while being reliable. Now if you want something or trail riding, get something else.
2003 ZX12R
2013 KTM RC8R
rpmwfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 06:59 PM   #45
slideways
permanent ex-pat

Oddometer: 5,457
All my open class bikes were easy to start.
Proper jetting and I always turn off the fuel and drain the float bowl.
Because the fuel evaporates leaving the oil behind. Then the first kick sends the oil into the cylinder and coats the spark plug.

Fresh fuel always makes it a 1 to 2 kick affair to start up any 2 stroke.

Upper Italian Lakes report.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=160841

South Africa, Swaziland, Botswana ride report
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=454490

Great CanAm Tour
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=476605
slideways is offline   Reply With Quote