ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > 2 smokers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-23-2013, 07:06 PM   #46
brucifer OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
brucifer's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: Eureka, Ca.
Oddometer: 2,225
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpmwfo View Post
I typically just rock the bike back and forth in 2nd gear a few times, choke it and it lights off if it has been sitting. Not bad in the driveway. I did the KIPS bolt mod so it is a little harder to start. Usually where I have trouble is on a trail somewhere that is off camber with bad footing.

The grin factor is way high on 500 2T bikes for the dollar. I picked one up because I always wanted to try one. I am able to ride desert terrain fastest on my XR650R but get a bigger grin out of the KX5.

Check craigslist. There are usually 500's(CR or KX) for pretty cheap. Get whichever one comes up in decent condition cheap. Find another rear wheel and throw a paddle on it. You will have more fun beating it in the dunes compared to a 250.(especially with a paddle).

There is a reason everyone loves them as sand bikes. Cheap. Powerful. Take a beating while being reliable. Now if you want something or trail riding, get something else.
Yeah, I have the trail riding bikes handled--whichever I end up with will be strictly a beach bomber.

I'm on Craigslist constantly and have a wanted ad posted. So far I've had two responses for the KX--one wanted $3500 (KX5 engine in a 2004 RMz 450 frame) and a '91 in "great" condition for $3000. Come on! 3 grand for a '91?!
__________________
2005 KTM 525EXC-2000 Buell M2 Cyclone-1996 XR600R-Plated 1995 XR600R-1993 Kawasaki KX500-1984 Honda XL600R/XR650L Hybrid-1984 Yamaha TT600L-1980 Honda CB750F
brucifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 09:25 PM   #47
rpmwfo
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2011
Oddometer: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucifer View Post
Yeah, I have the trail riding bikes handled--whichever I end up with will be strictly a beach bomber.

I'm on Craigslist constantly and have a wanted ad posted. So far I've had two responses for the KX--one wanted $3500 (KX5 engine in a 2004 RMz 450 frame) and a '91 in "great" condition for $3000. Come on! 3 grand for a '91?!
Patience. I wouldn't pay $3K for either of those. Might try expanding your search area. May be worth a road trip if the right bike turned up cheap. I drove a couple hours to pick mine up.

There are good buys out there, may just have to wait for one to come up. Hell there have been a couple of great looking CR500AF's in the 3-4K range around here in the last year. I just couldn't justify or make space in the garage for one more dirt bike....
__________________
2007 XR650R Plated
2004 KX500 Plated
2007 KTM 450 EXC w/540 kit.
2003 ZX12R
2013 KTM RC8R
rpmwfo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 11:07 PM   #48
Twin-shocker
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2012
Oddometer: 1,673
Quote:
Originally Posted by slideways View Post
All my open class bikes were easy to start.
Proper jetting and I always turn off the fuel and drain the float bowl.
Because the fuel evaporates leaving the oil behind. Then the first kick sends the oil into the cylinder and coats the spark plug.

Fresh fuel always makes it a 1 to 2 kick affair to start up any 2 stroke.

Taking into account the large amount of BS you post on these forums, I would suggest you have never owned an open class bike, let alone ever tried to start one.
Twin-shocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 11:12 PM   #49
Twin-shocker
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2012
Oddometer: 1,673
Quote:
Originally Posted by stainlesscycle View Post
awesome. so tell us which big bore 2 stroke you have owned?
I found through first hand experience that 500cc MX bikes always start much easier by flooding the carb rather than using the choke. But I guess that play bike riders with bikes that very often will be badly worn, and have a lot less compression than a properly maintained race bike, probably wont have much problem with starting as bikes are so much easier to kick over than a race machine?
Twin-shocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 05:11 AM   #50
slideways
permanent ex-pat
 
slideways's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2003
Location: Ocean Dweller
Oddometer: 5,350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twin-shocker View Post
I found through first hand experience that 500cc MX bikes always start much easier by flooding the carb rather than using the choke. But I guess that play bike riders with bikes that very often will be badly worn, and have a lot less compression than a properly maintained race bike, probably wont have much problem with starting as bikes are so much easier to kick over than a race machine?
Flooding the carb is one of the more stupid things you have posted in here.

Keep trolling.
__________________
“Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary… that’s what gets you.”



Upper Italian Lakes report.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=160841

South Africa, Swaziland, Botswana ride report
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=454490

Great CanAm Tour
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=476605
slideways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 05:16 AM   #51
brucifer OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
brucifer's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: Eureka, Ca.
Oddometer: 2,225
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpmwfo View Post
Patience. I wouldn't pay $3K for either of those. Might try expanding your search area. May be worth a road trip if the right bike turned up cheap. I drove a couple hours to pick mine up.

There are good buys out there, may just have to wait for one to come up. Hell there have been a couple of great looking CR500AF's in the 3-4K range around here in the last year. I just couldn't justify or make space in the garage for one more dirt bike....
With the exception of the CB750 in my sig, the rest of the bikes were purchased from out of the area.
I'm kinda hoping I can find something local this time but for the right bike, I will travel again.
And you're right--patience.
__________________
2005 KTM 525EXC-2000 Buell M2 Cyclone-1996 XR600R-Plated 1995 XR600R-1993 Kawasaki KX500-1984 Honda XL600R/XR650L Hybrid-1984 Yamaha TT600L-1980 Honda CB750F
brucifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 05:36 AM   #52
Twin-shocker
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2012
Oddometer: 1,673
Quote:
Originally Posted by slideways View Post
Flooding the carb is one of the more stupid things you have posted in here.

Keep trolling.

Here in the UK where 500cc MX bikes are commonly raced, rather than mainly used as play bikes at probably less than 10% of their potential performance levels, leaning bikes over to flood the carbs a little is a very common way of getting them to start easier.

Personally I am only familiar with using bikes for serious competition purposes, and maybe this is the reason US based play bike riders get so worked up about my suggesting things like its better to use a proper full synthetic pre-mix only 2T oil, rather than autolube types that seem to be favoured by the play bike riders?

Nothing at all wrong with using a bike for trail or play bike riding, but if you are riding in serious competition and want to win, it seems a good idea to regard machine preparation in a different way to a play biker?
Twin-shocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 05:39 AM   #53
stainlesscycle
Beastly Adventurer
 
stainlesscycle's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: morgantown, wv
Oddometer: 2,121
Quote:
Originally Posted by slideways View Post
Don't hold your breath waiting for an answer.

How do you like your Gas Gas?



I am looking at either a new XC 300 or XC 250 for my next bike
mine is a 2007, the newer ones have some geometry changes, e-start option, and some slight clutch reworking - and of course suspension upgrades. they are good reliable motors, with their own quirks. they handle exceptionally well in the woods, and are simple to work on. there is still some interchange with parts from other makes. parts availability is easy, and there is a strong support network among owners (www.gasgasrider.org). most recently reviews have focused on the fact that they are heavy - they do not feel heavy at all when riding, they actually feel lighter than many comparable models... i don't know how strong the new plastic subframe is. i know i've broken 2 aluminum subframes, and i switched to the earlier steel one, and have had no issues. plastics and graphics are expensive. most other parts are normal prices.
__________________
current bikes
07 gasgas xc300-94 duc 900ss-86 morini camel (2)-84 IT200-83 IT175-78 guzzi lm1-77 pursang 250-76 morini 3 1/2 strada-76 frankentaco pursang 200-74 frankentaco pursang 200-74 morini 3 1/2 sport-74 mz ts250/0-74 puch 175 (3)-73 can-am 175tnt-71 guzzi frankeneldo-71 ossa Stiletto-70 frankentaco sherpa s(2)-66 morini corsarino(2)-63 morini corsaro + many more
stainlesscycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 05:41 AM   #54
stainlesscycle
Beastly Adventurer
 
stainlesscycle's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: morgantown, wv
Oddometer: 2,121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twin-shocker View Post
But I guess that play bike riders with bikes that very often will be badly worn, and have a lot less compression than a properly maintained race bike, probably wont have much problem with starting as bikes are so much easier to kick over than a race machine?
so you're basically saying a bike with worn rings/low compression is easier to start. that's imbecilic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twin-shocker View Post
Personally I am only familiar with using bikes for serious competition purposes
really? please let us know which big bore bikes you have, and what competitions you are referring to. as far as i can tell you have 2 pos trials bikes. a fantic and a tlr250. which one is the serious competiton machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twin-shocker View Post
I found through first hand experience that 500cc MX bikes always start much easier by flooding the carb rather than using the choke.
there 's a bit of truth here - but not really applicable to modern reed bike with a choke. piston port with tickler and points ignition, sure, getting some fuel in there is helpful. on a modern big bore, proper starting technique, piston velocity, correct timing, and proper jetting are much more crucial.

the technique for starting a 400/440/490 maico (or 370 bultaco) for example, and a cr500 are 2 different things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twin-shocker View Post
Here in the UK where 500cc MX bikes are commonly raced, rather than mainly used as play bikes at probably less than 10% of their potential performance levels, leaning bikes over to flood the carbs a little is a very common way of getting them to start easier.
oh, i forgot that the UK is all serious racers, and the USA is all play riders. that's gotta be the most egotistical and narcissistic statement i've heard in a while. that's a serious troll statement.

and leaning over the bike (when cold) lets old fuel out the overflow and new fuel in, not to 'flood the carb.' (which in itself is an oxymoron - you flood the motor, not the carb...)

give 'em enough rope. keep digging that hole.
__________________
current bikes
07 gasgas xc300-94 duc 900ss-86 morini camel (2)-84 IT200-83 IT175-78 guzzi lm1-77 pursang 250-76 morini 3 1/2 strada-76 frankentaco pursang 200-74 frankentaco pursang 200-74 morini 3 1/2 sport-74 mz ts250/0-74 puch 175 (3)-73 can-am 175tnt-71 guzzi frankeneldo-71 ossa Stiletto-70 frankentaco sherpa s(2)-66 morini corsarino(2)-63 morini corsaro + many more

stainlesscycle screwed with this post 07-24-2013 at 06:04 AM
stainlesscycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 06:08 AM   #55
brucifer OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
brucifer's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: Eureka, Ca.
Oddometer: 2,225
So what do you guys think of this bike.
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/mcy/3944261181.html
__________________
2005 KTM 525EXC-2000 Buell M2 Cyclone-1996 XR600R-Plated 1995 XR600R-1993 Kawasaki KX500-1984 Honda XL600R/XR650L Hybrid-1984 Yamaha TT600L-1980 Honda CB750F
brucifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 06:13 AM   #56
Twin-shocker
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2012
Oddometer: 1,673
Quote:
Originally Posted by stainlesscycle View Post
mine is a 2007, the newer ones have some geometry changes, e-start option, and some slight clutch reworking - and of course suspension upgrades. they are good reliable motors, with their own quirks. they handle exceptionally well in the woods, and are simple to work on. there is still some interchange with parts from other makes. parts availability is easy, and there is a strong support network among owners (www.gasgasrider.org). most recently reviews have focused on the fact that they are heavy - they do not feel heavy at all when riding, they actually feel lighter than many comparable models... i don't know how strong the new plastic subframe is. i know i've broken 2 aluminum subframes, and i switched to the earlier steel one, and have had no issues. plastics and graphics are expensive. most other parts are normal prices.

Main problem with Gas Gas is very poor build quality, and of course that the factory has been operating on the verge of bankruptcy for around 4 years now. If they do go the wall thats obviously not going to help much with the value of a used bike, or suggest parts will continue to be available.
Twin-shocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 06:16 AM   #57
Twin-shocker
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2012
Oddometer: 1,673
Quote:
Originally Posted by stainlesscycle View Post
so you're basically saying a bike with worn rings/low compression is easier to start. that's imbecilic.


really? please let us know which big bore bikes you have, and what competitions you are referring to. as far as i can tell you have 2 pos trials bikes. a fantic and a tlr250. which one is the serious competiton machine



there 's a bit of truth here - but not really applicable to modern reed bike with a choke. piston port with tickler and points ignition, sure, getting some fuel in there is helpful. on a modern big bore, proper starting technique, piston velocity, correct timing, and proper jetting are much more crucial.

the technique for starting a 400/440/490 maico (or 370 bultaco) for example, and a cr500 are 2 different things.



oh, i forgot that the UK is all serious racers, and the USA is all play riders. that's gotta be the most egotistical and narcissistic statement i've heard in a while. that's a serious troll statement.

and leaning over the bike (when cold) lets old fuel out the overflow and new fuel in, not to 'flood the carb.' (which in itself is an oxymoron - you flood the motor, not the carb...)

give 'em enough rope. keep digging that hole.

Obviously there are many serious racers in the US, but in regard to posters on here I think anyone who chooses to use autolube oil, and doesnt understand very much about jetting a bike for best possible throttle response and performance is more likely to be a play bike rider. Nothing wrong with that at all, but what goes for play biking isnt really relevant for serious competition. To suggest it is might be compared to claiming its a good idea to use a penny farthing in the Tour de France?

Twin-shocker screwed with this post 07-24-2013 at 06:22 AM
Twin-shocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 06:55 AM   #58
stainlesscycle
Beastly Adventurer
 
stainlesscycle's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: morgantown, wv
Oddometer: 2,121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twin-shocker View Post
Main problem with Gas Gas is very poor build quality, and of course that the factory has been operating on the verge of bankruptcy for around 4 years now. If they do go the wall thats obviously not going to help much with the value of a used bike, or suggest parts will continue to be available.
and how many modern gas gas do you own? without personal experience how can you judge?

i'm not defending gas gas - i could care less if they have 'poor build quality' or not (which they don't) - i don't have allegiance to any brand.. the build quality is equal to their peers (i've owned/own them all...). maybe you shouldn't believe every review you read. if you have any proof, let me know (what models do you own? the trials bikes don't count - we are talking about ec/xc/mc). it's a decent bike, at a reasonable price. obviously they are competitive, and on par with everything else in their class.

as for bankruptcy, MANY manufacturers operate flirting with bankruptcy forever - look at history (guzzi, husqvarna, ktm, etc... and they're all still around...)
sure the resale on gasgas is low. that's good for me. i keep buying em cheap.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Twin-shocker View Post
but what goes for play biking isnt really relevant for serious competition.
PLEASE tell us what SERIOUS competition you are/have competed in, and surely some respect will be due. but until then you're just a troll with no experience aside from google ability, and your opinion is moot.
__________________
current bikes
07 gasgas xc300-94 duc 900ss-86 morini camel (2)-84 IT200-83 IT175-78 guzzi lm1-77 pursang 250-76 morini 3 1/2 strada-76 frankentaco pursang 200-74 frankentaco pursang 200-74 morini 3 1/2 sport-74 mz ts250/0-74 puch 175 (3)-73 can-am 175tnt-71 guzzi frankeneldo-71 ossa Stiletto-70 frankentaco sherpa s(2)-66 morini corsarino(2)-63 morini corsaro + many more
stainlesscycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 08:00 AM   #59
Rot Box
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2010
Location: Northern Utah
Oddometer: 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucifer View Post
So what do you guys think of this bike.
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/mcy/3944261181.html
From the pics it looks like it was cared for. The nice part about the KX's is aside from suspension updates they are mostly the same from 89 to 04. If it's clean and runs good... The price seems good to me
__________________
94 ATK605DSES - 1984 CR500R - 1981 XL500S
Rot Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 10:36 AM   #60
Twin-shocker
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2012
Oddometer: 1,673
Quote:
Originally Posted by stainlesscycle View Post
and how many modern gas gas do you own? without personal experience how can you judge?

i'm not defending gas gas - i could care less if they have 'poor build quality' or not (which they don't) - i don't have allegiance to any brand.. the build quality is equal to their peers (i've owned/own them all...). maybe you shouldn't believe every review you read. if you have any proof, let me know (what models do you own? the trials bikes don't count - we are talking about ec/xc/mc). it's a decent bike, at a reasonable price. obviously they are competitive, and on par with everything else in their class.

as for bankruptcy, MANY manufacturers operate flirting with bankruptcy forever - look at history (guzzi, husqvarna, ktm, etc... and they're all still around...)
sure the resale on gasgas is low. that's good for me. i keep buying em cheap.




PLEASE tell us what SERIOUS competition you are/have competed in, and surely some respect will be due. but until then you're just a troll with no experience aside from google ability, and your opinion is moot.

Gas Gas were bailed out again financially around last December, and compared to Japanese or German the build quality of the bikes is not as good. But they are fine for less serious riders, or those able to spend more time on maintenance and preparation.
Twin-shocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 10:23 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014