User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-18-2013, 11:20 PM   #1
Thechipsta OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
New Baja Farkles and Luggage ?'s

Hello to everyone. Just picked up a 2013 990 Baja. First adventure bike to go with my 5 other bikes. Put the Black Dog skid plate on,tomorrow the sidestand relocator, fork springs and valve job, rekluse clutch, and saddlemen adventure seat go on. What other pieces/parts should I be looking at? I am also thinking of putting on the Caribou top loaders for side luggage. Looking to do a 50/50 mix of dirt roads and asphalt here in Colorado. Any info from you guys/gals would be greatly appreciated. Hit me up if you want to ride in Carbondale.

Thanks
Thechipsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 06:10 AM   #2
wheeler23
Adventurer

Oddometer: 79

I put on these KTM made by SW Mototec and really like them. You can quick attach/detach the luggage and brackets in just a few mins. Very good quality and seem to be very durable.

KTM 990 Baja Edition, KTM 250SXF, KTM 150XC
wheeler23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 07:00 AM   #3
Thechipsta OP
Adventurer

Thanks wheeler23. Those cases look great, I'll have to do some research on them.
Old 07-19-2013, 07:06 AM   #4
CaRefugee
Toy Collector

Oddometer: 25
Thumb Another new KTM Adventure rider

Just received my Baja this past Sunday. Unfortunately, I'm still waiting on paperwork to get her registered so she sits in the garage. Meanwhile, I'm wondering the same things - what to spend any extra money on to dress her up?

Those SW Mototec cases are really nice looking! I have the GOBI side cases on their way. Not sexy looking like those, but I found a great deal. People seem to really love them or hate them. We'll see...

Only other thing I'm doing for now is to put on a headlight modulator for riding on the road and staying off of the grill of the cages.

We'll have to hook up for some rides!
Old 07-19-2013, 07:44 AM   #5
wheeler23
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thechipsta View Post
Thanks wheeler23. Those cases look great, I'll have to do some research on them.
Thanks! Twistedthrottle.com is the US company that carries them. They also have several accessories that go with them as well. Liners, soft top bags if you need more storage, water/gas bottles and mounts, back rest for top case, ect..... http://www.twistedthrottle.com/

Old 07-19-2013, 07:46 AM   #6
wheeler23
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheeler23 View Post
Thanks! Twistedthrottle.com is the US company that carries them. They also have several accessories that go with them as well. Liners, soft top bags if you need more storage, water/gas bottles and mounts, back rest for top case, ect..... http://www.twistedthrottle.com/
here is a direct link...
http://www.twistedthrottle.com/shop-by-product/luggage-racks/hard-luggage?brand=SW-MOTECH

Old 07-19-2013, 02:56 PM   #7
DeepInIt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,368
The SW Motech racks will not hold up for offroad use. If you are going to do some real offroad, get a solid rack. That rack is the only equipment mistake I made for my SA trip.
DeepInIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 10:00 PM   #8
dirtdiver
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,026
I would think you would want to look into the lighting situation. Better headlight or some aftermarket LED's.

DD
2014 KTM 500EXC
dirtdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 11:40 PM   #9
Thechipsta OP
Adventurer

Thanks for the heads up fellas. Really appreciate it.
Old 07-24-2013, 10:07 PM   #10
dirtdiver
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,026
I like the looks of your luggage. I also like the looks of those tie down points on the upper lid.

For myself I run the hard cans unless I think I may crash then I run a coyote giant loop.

The trouble with crashing and the hard cans is that your leg tends to get swept up under the cans and broken. With the soft bags your leg gets swept back too but not twisted and crushed.

DD
2014 KTM 500EXC
dirtdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 01:51 PM   #11
twisted-hog
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 237
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtdiver View Post
I like the looks of your luggage. I also like the looks of those tie down points on the upper lid.

For myself I run the hard cans unless I think I may crash then I run a coyote giant loop.

The trouble with crashing and the hard cans is that your leg tends to get swept up under the cans and broken. With the soft bags your leg gets swept back too but not twisted and crushed.

DD
I've been debating about bags for my Baja trip next April, I think you just sold me on soft bags. I've looking at the Giant Loop, not sure if I only need a coyote or the giant basin would be a better choice for more packing options in the future on a longer trip.
twisted-hog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 02:11 PM   #12
Redcloudisalive
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
Nice post, great luggage! The only things I have done on mine are heavier springs, a Scott's steering damper, a set of FMF Q4 slip ons, and new pegs. Haven't decided about luggage yet.
Old 08-04-2013, 09:35 AM   #13
KTMbageera
Adventurer

Oddometer: 89
Go with the GL Great Basin instead of the Coyote. You can always squeeze down the GB with the cool cinch straps, but you cannot expand a Coyote.
KTMbageera is offline   Reply With Quote