User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-18-2013, 10:32 PM   #1
Pez OP
b00b

Oddometer: 560
Laugh Texarkana

Who's here? I moved the family out here around 6 months ago and been without a bike. But a XR650 is on the horizon so wonder who is out there and if there's any good trails locally to test out the new to me bike.

A message for all of Humanity

Pez screwed with this post 08-04-2013 at 01:28 PM
Pez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 10:43 PM   #2
Dragon43
If you insist.

Oddometer: 5,826
Ride North young man...........
Old 07-18-2013, 10:54 PM   #3
Pez OP
b00b

Yes sir I plan to! Been all over the Appalachian mountains so I'm excited to check out the Ozarks

Old 07-19-2013, 09:15 AM   #4
NateLePain
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,603
There's a camp / ride commencing today, in Mena, 100 miles north of you.

Start here and work your way backwards. The 2013 schedule is on the very first post.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...651353&page=85

Most Arkansas Activity can be found on two threads:

NWA - http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...7282&page=3376
Central - http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...630003&page=85

Dirt riding in East TX seems hard to come by unless you know someone, pay a fee or join a club. It's my impression many TX riders start at Mena and move North-Northeast. Wolf Pen Gap is in Mena and big favorite of the dirt bike riders.

Also, you should join TWTex.com, if you haven't already. They put together some E. TX rides, every year, will have some local info and possibly some gpx routes to share.

nlp

10 Triumph St. Triple, '06 BMW F650GSA, '03 Honda XR70R, '03 Honda XR80R, '86 Honda TLR200 Reflex
NateLePain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 01:41 PM   #5
BigShooter
Head Flunky

Oddometer: 115
In the area

I live in the Texarkana area. I'm pretty new to dual sport riding, but had previously done a fair share of 4 wheeling up in the Ouachitas and around. So far, I've just been scoping Flash Earth and finding routes with some dirt. I've been around here most my life. All the good riding spots from my youth have been long since leased up to hunting clubs or otherwise posted. And now days, there are very few unpaved roads in Bowie County, at least ones that lead any where. However, if you leave the country and venture over into Arkansas, there is still a fair bit of them near by. Look out towards Garland (Arkansas) and in the Red River farm land areas on Google or Flash Earth. You can usually turn off the labels and tell what the road surfaces are. I'm working on some tracks now. Just gonna try to connect some dots, and try to find back-road routes up into Oklahoma and Arkansas areas. As most of my riding will be day trip-style, I probably will focus on these areas. For the most part, there is too much pavement and highways in our area of Texas to traverse before the good areas begin.
BigShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 04:54 AM   #6
MChappy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
I'm a little southwest of you, just north of Longview. Cass county still has a lot of dirt roads, but Ar. is the place to go.
MChappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 05:25 AM   #7
BigShooter
Head Flunky

Quote:
Originally Posted by MChappy View Post
I'm a little southwest of you, just north of Longview. Cass county still has a lot of dirt roads, but Ar. is the place to go.
Yes, they do. At least until everyone gets through being County Commissioner and paying the ones up to their house. Lol
Previously, I rode alot on quads around the Albert Pike area rodes and trails. It is amasing what passes as a state highway around there!
Old 07-28-2013, 08:44 AM   #8
BigShooter
Head Flunky

Quote:
Originally Posted by MChappy View Post
BTW, how is the riding down your way?
Old 07-31-2013, 01:36 PM   #9
Pez OP
b00b

Glad there is at least one other Texarkana resident plus a neighbor to the south! I'm on the same page as you hunting Google Earth but finding dirt patches and trails hard to come by. Might have to tag along with ya one day into R-kansas to see what your finding out there and maybe we could get MChappy up here also?

Old 07-31-2013, 01:45 PM   #10
BigShooter
Head Flunky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pez View Post
Glad there is at least one other Texarkana resident plus a neighbor to the south! I'm on the same page as you hunting Google Earth but finding dirt patches and trails hard to come by. Might have to tag along with ya one day into R-kansas to see what your finding out there and maybe we could get MChappy up here also?
Sounds good! I am sure we can flush some out around here.
Old 08-03-2013, 08:03 PM   #11
Pez OP
b00b

So BigShooter, I was out riding today and noticed all the Hardley's, Crotch Rockets and Jap crusiers and got to thinking I haven't seen any Dual sports in town. You know of anyone else that rides around here? Guy's at H&W thought it was pretty cool to see a XR650L out an a bout, meant to ask them if they see any others

Old 08-03-2013, 09:22 PM   #12
BigShooter
Head Flunky

Quote:
So BigShooter, I was out riding today and noticed all the Hardley's, Crotch Rockets and Jap crusiers and got to thinking I haven't seen any Dual sports in town. You know of anyone else that rides around here? Guy's at H&W thought it was pretty cool to see a XR650L out an a bout, meant to ask them if they see any others
I dont know anyone personally, but I know the bikes are around. I was up at H&N this afternoo getting an inspection sticker o this KLR I just picked up. The tech guy asked if it was ok if he put the sticker on the swingarm cause there wasnt a spot around the plate. I told him I didnt care, I didnt buy it for the looks. He replied," yeah just something to commute around on". Like he never considered using them the way they were intended! Lol. I didnt bother explaining.
There is a guy that I've seen drive by my house a time or two or some sort of Honda, and I have seen a few newer KLRs around. Maybe the lack of immediately suitable terrain has dampened the scene around here?
Old 08-04-2013, 07:01 AM   #13
DrLewall
The Human GPS

Oddometer: 30,298
Quote:
Possibly the reason being that all those pavement surfers y'all see down there got into the biker scene due to the cool biker build off shows on tv and they are ignorant of a bike being capable of doing dirt. You two guys get out there and let them see you out there and I will betcha, you'll get a few followers.

Awesome to learn that you guys are down there doin the dualsport thing..I wanna come down and explore that area too

ride safe and be alert!
DrLewall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 09:38 AM   #14
Pez OP
b00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigShooter View Post
Maybe the lack of immediately suitable terrain has dampened the scene around here?
You probably hit the nail on the head there We gotta get these guy's at H&N more business so maybe they will start carrying some Dual sports and not thinking their commuters haha! Cool to hear your on a KLR though, been wanting to see how one fairs out on the trails

BTW The Honda looking thing is probably me, if it was mostly white bike with blue seat then yup that'd be me

Quote:
Possibly the reason being that all those pavement surfers y'all see down there got into the biker scene due to the cool biker build off shows on tv and they are ignorant of a bike being capable of doing dirt. You two guys get out there and let them see you out there and I will betcha, you'll get a few followers.

Awesome to learn that you guys are down there doin the dualsport thing..I wanna come down and explore that area too

ride safe and be alert!
I'm willing to bet its a combination of the Bike Build off show and Sons of Anarchy.. For a fairly small town we have like 3 or so 1% type clubs here. Seems having a lifted truck and a Harley is a life goal for a lot of peeps around here :end rant: lol

But yea were down here so anytime ya want to cruise down just holler and we'll go find some dirt!

Old 08-06-2013, 03:05 PM   #15
XATLASX
Doomsday Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
I am in Nashville, Ar just north of Texarkana. I tend to ride quite a bit on the weekends...dual sport and/or dirt bike :

Hit me up if you get out and want to meet up.

XATLASX screwed with this post 08-06-2013 at 03:41 PM
XATLASX is offline   Reply With Quote