ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-03-2013, 06:10 PM   #31
mhaas
intrpd travlrwanabe

Oddometer: 184
Blank spot on the calendar that day. The DR350 has new tyre and hasn't been dirty lately. Where, When? I'm Greenville. photo 0101121245.jpg
mhaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 02:17 PM   #32
stretch160 OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 517
Quote:
Originally Posted by trespalacios View Post
Anyone riding on Sunday Sept 8th? Hoping weather is good
well since trespalacios han't suggested a meeting time or place, how about the [edit] store 178/11 [edit]. Shall we say about 10:30. I live an hour/hour and a half north east of there (Lyman).
I'd like to see the Goreous/bad creek trail if someone is familiar with it, and it is open. Otherwise there is another nice place to ride near by.

stretch160 screwed with this post 09-06-2013 at 03:52 PM
stretch160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 02:59 PM   #33
Wlfman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,288
I'm down in Lexington ride a DRZ400 and FZ1. Usually always up for a ride. Just need the meet time to be late enough for me to be able to get up there to meet the group.

Those who say it cannot be done should not interrupt the people who are doing it."
"Now and then it's good to pause in our pursuit of happiness and JUST BE HAPPY."
Wlfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 05:16 PM   #34
Chiknmunky
Adventurer

Oddometer: 66
You will like the Gorges Stretch! I just got my crank back for my YZ426 so I'm gonna try to get my motor back together this weekend. Ya'll have fun!
Chiknmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 08:17 PM   #35
stretch160 OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wlfman View Post
I'm down in Lexington ride a DRZ400 and FZ1. Usually always up for a ride. Just need the meet time to be late enough for me to be able to get up there to meet the group.
What time would be good for you?
Old 09-05-2013, 08:18 PM   #36
trespalacios
Oh libertad

Oddometer: 682
Can we meet at the junction of hwy 11 and 178, at the gas station? Not sure if that's the one you meant. I live in Taylors. We have to enter the NC Gorges (on hwy 281 near hwy 64) and turn around since bad creek opens on september 15th.

I'm on a v-strom so you guys on dirt bikes bear with me

We'll see you guys there

Antioquia, tierra de mis amores
Some trail riding stories
trespalacios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 09:35 PM   #37
Wlfman
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stretch160 View Post
What time would be good for you?
You mentioned 1030 above, that's good for me. At either the BP you mentioned or The Store at 178/11.

Those who say it cannot be done should not interrupt the people who are doing it."
"Now and then it's good to pause in our pursuit of happiness and JUST BE HAPPY."
Old 09-05-2013, 09:54 PM   #38
stretch160 OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by trespalacios View Post
Can we meet at the junction of hwy 11 and 178, at the gas station? Not sure if that's the one you meant. I live in Taylors. We have to enter the NC Gorges (on hwy 281 near hwy 64) and turn around since bad creek opens on september 15th.

I'm on a v-strom so you guys on dirt bikes bear with me

We'll see you guys there
The store @ 178/11 is fine. It is actualy a little closer then the BP.
I'll be there.
I'm a bit of a dirt noob (read slow but improving), so a good rider on a vstrom may find himself waiting on me, especialy on gravel. On muddy, rocky, steep, single track I should be able to keep up.
Old 09-06-2013, 06:21 AM   #39
Wlfman
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stretch160 View Post
The store @ 178/11 is fine. It is actualy a little closer then the BP.
I'll be there.
I'm a bit of a dirt noob (read slow but improving), so a good rider on a vstrom may find himself waiting on me, especialy on gravel. On muddy, rocky, steep, single track I should be able to keep up.
See you guys Sun 1030 at The Store

Old 09-06-2013, 06:31 AM   #40
Whitebread117
I do what I want

Oddometer: 456
Scratch the maybe, I'll be there. Been out of town for several weeks and the KLR needs some exercise.

Does anyone have a route planned? I've got my commuter gearing installed at the moment but if y'all want to go into Gorges I'll throw my smaller sprocket on. Lots of water breaks in there and lower gearing makes it easier to loft the pig

Even though Bad Creek isn't open yet, it's 13 miles from end of pavement to the Bad Creek gate with 5 water crossings plus the river bridge, and that's just the main road. Lots of fun, and there's a number of side trails to explore as well.

Whitebread117 screwed with this post 09-06-2013 at 01:23 PM
Whitebread117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 02:07 PM   #41
trespalacios
Oh libertad

Oddometer: 682
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitebread117 View Post
Scratch the maybe, I'll be there. Been out of town for several weeks and the KLR needs some exercise.

Does anyone have a route planned? I've got my commuter gearing installed at the moment but if y'all want to go into Gorges I'll throw my smaller sprocket on. Lots of water breaks in there and lower gearing makes it easier to loft the pig

Even though Bad Creek isn't open yet, it's 13 miles from end of pavement to the Bad Creek gate with 5 water crossings plus the river bridge, and that's just the main road. Lots of fun, and there's a number of side trails to explore as well.
Not sure if there's a route planned yet, different than entering the NC Gorges through 281 (only way I know). Do you want to meet us at the park entrance instead?

Last time I did those 13 miles it was hell from the river to the gate. Hope it is drier this time though it always rains in that area.

Looking forward to meeting you guys

Antioquia, tierra de mis amores
Some trail riding stories
trespalacios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 02:28 PM   #42
Whitebread117
I do what I want

Gorges gets 93" of rain on an average year (it's officially a temperate rainforest ) and this has been a much wetter than average year. However here in Brevard we've been dry for several days in a row (unusual compared to the summer so far) so it should have dried off a little bit in there.

Interesting side note, last time I was in there about 6 weeks ago my wife and I were going for a drive in her FJ Cruiser. We were headed down to the river and got down toward the river when a storm came up. Monsoon rain, in 1st gear low range with wipers on high and I couldn't see more than 10ft. Heaviest rain I've ever experienced in my life. Then a tree fell on the car What are the odds of having a tree fall on your vehicle while moving? Luckily it had been standing dead for a long while and was pretty well rotted so when it hit the roof rack it exploded into little chunks, but it was a 12-14" diameter tree and did $2k damage to the roof/hood/fenders.

I'll meet you guys at the lower parking lot of Gorges where the pavement ends, say a little before 11? There's only one other entrance to Gorges to my knowledge, and it's on the east side of park and is a parking lot/ hiking trailhead only. Black 1st gen KLR. If there's time and anyone is game, I'd like to explore some of the side roads. I know one goes another couple miles in - I went back as far as i was comfortable solo then spun around.
Old 09-06-2013, 02:50 PM   #43
stretch160 OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
I'll meet you guys at the lower parking lot of Gorges where the pavement ends, say a little before 11? There's only one other entrance to Gorges to my knowledge, and it's on the east side of park and is a parking lot/ hiking trailhead only. Black 1st gen KLR. If there's time and anyone is game, I'd like to explore some of the side roads. I know one goes another couple miles in - I went back as far as i was comfortable solo then spun around.
I don't know where this lower parking lot is, so I will be at the store at 10:30. Is it close enough that you would expect us there before 11:00?
Old 09-06-2013, 02:59 PM   #44
Wlfman
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
If there's time and anyone is game, I'd like to explore some of the side roads. I know one goes another couple miles in - I went back as far as i was comfortable solo then spun around.

Sounds good to me.

I'll meet you guys at the lower parking lot

Wlfman screwed with this post 09-06-2013 at 03:55 PM
Old 09-06-2013, 03:22 PM   #45
Whitebread117
I do what I want

I was going to say yes you'll make it fine, then I realized it's the Country Store at 178 instead of one near Kiowee. I'll plan on being at the lower parking lot around 11:15 or a little after. It'll take about 40-45 min to get from 178 to entrance. By the way, 178 has been closed due to mud slide and is likely still closed unless someone's been by there in the last week to verify otherwise.

At the 281 entrance you ride in about a mile and come to a 3 way stop sign with the visitors center and parking straight ahead. Make a left a the stop sign and you head down to the lower parking lot which is the trailhead for most hikes inside the park and more importantly it's where the pavement ends. Plenty of space to pause and air down tires, plus porta johns if one needs a last minute break.

Oh, and just to confuse the issue a little more, for those of you who would be backtracking to hit one or the other of the gas stations in SC. At the intersection of 281 and US64 in NC there is a big BP gas station/country store. Go north on 281 into North Carolina to the stop sign/3-way intersection with US64, it's the only gas station there. It's less than 1/2 mile from the Gorges entrance. If anyone wants to meet there I can meet them on my way through.

Whitebread117 screwed with this post 09-06-2013 at 03:31 PM