ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-21-2013, 05:01 AM   #436
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 8,629
Quote:
Originally Posted by localmoto View Post
well my 2 cents--
ya know the 2 stroke motto??

my first real bike that i started on, was a 125xrr 2 stroke ,,was fun if able too haul ass , had to dip the clutch too much for mtn trails and kill motor for any extented down hill..you could not start up on a muddy hill ,from a dead stop =you had to get running start.. ""wide open or nothing"" is th 2 stroke motto..
it was a ex-supercross bike...

buddy had a wr 200 2 stroke -not tagable- ,,that was lighter than his -tagged-450wrr..
but had to haul it to ride it. no 'jake brake' on 2 stroke= so if you ride steep mtn trails,, you will be failing plugs and sliding down the mtn with your rear brake/tire locked,, or just burn up your brakes---tring to slow down..

2 stoke wr seemed easyer to ride ,,at first,, it was lighter , with lower stock gears..
main differnts in the wrr ,,is metal tank-not plastic,, battery/starter/lights,,muffler and all that adds top weight..

the 450 wrr will do a wheelie in 1,2,and 3 gear = ever with higher (front)road gear.. with full knobbie and low gear the wrr should make it a beast in the woods..

rember when 2stoke 250's would race with the 450's 4 strokes???
where are the 2 stoke race bikes now == going down in history...

so i like a tagged 4 stroke dirt bike w/knobbies for any major off-road-n ..

but each too there own...
agian my two cents..
hope yal have fun riding ,, what ever !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Heavy flywheel weights help tame 2 strokes for trails/climbing. All I ever used out out Red River ORV park (Place they used to host the Red Bull Last Man Standing Enduro) north of Dallas were 2T MX bikes. The big appeal of the 2T's besides light weight is almost impossible to overheat. In those TX summers where temps are over 100 a lot you really didn't want a 4T. I overheated every 4T I ever took out there, my DRZ, WRR 450, and a CRF 450.

Now for around here I'm sure that heat won't be any real issue compared to hot as hell TX. I figure my 450 EXC will work just fine. Now I just need to get it out here.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 05:59 AM   #437
35xj
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 894
i love my 2 stroke.. Very little maint on it. CHEAP compared to any maintenance on any of my 4 strokes.
that being said, having had a KTM 200 and 300, they make LOUSY dualsports!

anybody else going to this ride?

http://carolinadualsporters.com/brox...-dual-sport-2/

35xj screwed with this post 12-21-2013 at 06:06 AM
35xj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 06:08 AM   #438
GI_JO_NATHAN
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,968
Quote:
Originally Posted by 35xj View Post
i love my 2 stroke.. Very little maint on it. CHEAP compared to any maintenance on any of my 4 strokes.
that being said, having had a KTM 200 and 300, they make LOUSY dualsports!
True the new race 4 strokes require a lot of scheduled maintenance. But you always hear about 2's fouling plugs, and needing the top end rebuilt, where as my XT is almost maintenance free. But of course it isn't exactly the right tool for the job. At least for the type of riding I've been doing.
Someone quote me so he can see my response
Quote:
Originally Posted by POLLOCK28 (XDTALK.com)
From what I understand from frequenting various forums you are handling this critisim completely wrong. You are supposed to get bent out of shape and start turning towards personal attacks. Get with the program!
GI_JO_NATHAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 06:18 AM   #439
35xj
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 894
I haven't fouled a plug on my 09 250 in a year and a half. Setup is important, once the jetting is good, they are awesome!
rebuild the top end every 100 hours or so.
35xj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 06:46 AM   #440
LethalDose
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 312
Two strokes, by all accounts, require little if any more wrenching than a modern 4 stroke. To add... I can climb everything, go anywhere, and race just about anyone off road and stand a good chance at taking the lead. As a matter of fact, 2 strokes are still some of the best contenders in the gncc circuit out there. LOCALMOTO may have a point when it comes to mx, but I feel the raw power of a 2 stroke can't be beat in an off-road setting. As for maintenance, you're looking at a top end once in a while and a renikasil every 5 top ends or so. Drop a valve on a 4 stroke sometime and show me the shop bill. For the price, you could easily cover the 5 top ends and renikasil.
LethalDose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 06:47 AM   #441
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by GI_JO_NATHAN View Post
True the new race 4 strokes require a lot of scheduled maintenance. But you always hear about 2's fouling plugs, and needing the top end rebuilt, where as my XT is almost maintenance free. But of course it isn't exactly the right tool for the job. At least for the type of riding I've been doing.
I NEVER fouled a plug on my KX 250 2T's. Correct jetting can pretty much eliminate fouling. A top end on a 2T is about 1/3 what a top end on a 4T costs. I only did a top end on my KX 250 once in 6 years. You don't even have valves to adjust on a 2T.

Old 12-21-2013, 06:58 AM   #442
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by LethalDose View Post
Two strokes, by all accounts, require little if any more wrenching than a modern 4 stroke. To add... I can climb everything, go anywhere, and race just about anyone off road and stand a good chance at taking the lead. As a matter of fact, 2 strokes are still some of the best contenders in the gncc circuit out there. LOCALMOTO may have a point when it comes to mx, but I feel the raw power of a 2 stroke can't be beat in an off-road setting. As for maintenance, you're looking at a top end once in a while and a renikasil every 5 top ends or so. Drop a valve on a 4 stroke sometime and show me the shop bill. For the price, you could easily cover the 5 top ends and renikasil.
+1 if I was going to own an off road only bike now, it would be a KTM 300 2T.

Old 12-21-2013, 09:49 AM   #443
GI_JO_NATHAN
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
I'll sell ya my yz cheap! I'll even redo first gear before selling! Bike is super nice!
All great points. And for the record, I've never had a modern 4 stroke either. My XT is far from it. Lol
Like I said, I want to give it a shot and check it out for myself. If for no other reason than to improve my riding.

Thanks for all the input.
Quote:
From what I understand from frequenting various forums you are handling this critisim completely wrong. You are supposed to get bent out of shape and start turning towards personal attacks. Get with the program!
Old 12-21-2013, 10:01 AM   #444
LethalDose
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 312
You're welcome to ride it any time- even if you just wanna see what it's like. I'll be splitting the cases soon.
LethalDose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 10:02 AM   #445
GI_JO_NATHAN
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
You're welcome to ride it any time- even if you just wanna see what it's like. I'll be splitting the cases soon.
Ok cool.
Quote:
Old 12-21-2013, 10:20 AM   #446
localmoto
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 176
yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by motobutane View Post
You off this coming Monday???

hey ya off sunday n monday ,, where to ride ??
and will be off a lot more in january..

-the plan sunday- is to ride over ashville ..??..??..

ah think opened can of worms bout those 2 strokes!!!!!
localmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 10:43 AM   #447
GI_JO_NATHAN
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by localmoto View Post

ah think opened can of worms bout those 2 strokes!!!!!
IKR! lol

At least we don't seem to have any a-holes.. haha!

Not as bad as an oil or darkside debate. lol
Quote:
Old 12-21-2013, 11:11 AM   #448
localmoto
Gnarly Adventurer

hey !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie View Post
+1 if I was going to own an off road only bike now, it would be a KTM 300 2T.

so not to beat a dead horse --but this does NOT mean a dual sport =street legal???
JUST a pure dirt only bike = not taggable ???? right.?.

quick question --so if you had ONE dual sport bike for all your riding = would it be a 2 stroke ?? ?? ?? ??

note;; i'm talking bout every day riding - street, trails ,run to the store ,and not to mention refueling .. while haveing one bike that will do it all............. while rideing some 6hr every week...
? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?

understand the love for th 2 stroke ,on open race conditions ,but a dual sport ..??...

invite to all 2 strokers ::: please come to wayehutta --after it rains-- ....

localmoto screwed with this post 12-21-2013 at 12:04 PM
Old 12-21-2013, 12:24 PM   #449
localmoto
Gnarly Adventurer

boried

well i wrote before had 125xrr,,that was wrong ,,forgot cr's where th 2stroke.

so anyone ever rode a 500 2 stroke??

a buddy let me ride th honda 500crr ,, hit sec in it ,, and pulled it back in parking lot to him.. stupit fast!!!

hey yal seen the show -whats in th barn- the one with -th wheels thro time- guys???

the nitro hill climb bike ,, ah ,,oh ,, crazy machine!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-21-2013, 01:42 PM   #450
stretch160 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 472
Quote:
Two strokes, by all accounts, require little if any more wrenching than a modern 4 stroke..
Quote:
Originally Posted by 35xj View Post
rebuild the top end every 100 hours or so.
I think we have different definitions of low maint.

My dr is a slow pig, but all I've done in the last 300 hrs is change the oil 5 times.
stretch160 is online now   Reply With Quote