User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-19-2013, 04:41 PM   #1
FredRydr OP
Danger: Keep Back 500 Ft.

Oddometer: 1,570
Modified OEM center stand for lowered '08-'12 F800GS - The solution

I started this new thread because it offers a solution to the issue I raised in another thread.

I bought my 2009 F800GS new, one of the first into the USA. In April 2013, I finally had an Ohlins technician lower it 1.5 inches/38mm to better accommodate my 29-inch inseam. Now the bike is really fun. I don't know precisely how he accomplished it, but I cannot feel the loss of suspension travel in rough country.

The sidestand needed no change. The centerstand was usable, but it raised the rear wheel too high off the ground for easy reinstallation of the wheel alongside the road. Furthermore, it was a chore to get the bike to pop up on the center stand.

So, I took my spare center stand to a local TIG welder and gave him instructions to shorten it 1 1/2 inches. He did a first-class job. I mounted it and it's much easier to use, and the rear wheel is raised the old height. However, I goofed. The center stand could no longer fully retract because it hit the rear subframe at the passenger peg. (Originally, it was immediately behind the left passenger peg with so little clearance that I had to swing the peg out of the way to place my foot on the center stand.)

Here's the solution:

The shortened center stand could not be retracted because the slight OEM bend in the left-side pipe to the "pedal" struck the subframe/passenger peg.

We straightened the OEM bend in the section leading to the pedal by taking out a "pie slice" to straighten the left pipe of the stand. Once it was straight, we shortened it about 1/4 inch more to only just touch the bottom spring of the exhaust. I could have shortened it more, but I decided to keep the pedal as long as possible for leverage. Instead, we notched the pedal for more clearance around the exhaust spring. Finally, we attached the peg to make it easier to press the center stand down with my toe. Once the stand touches the floor, the center stand springs keep it there while I move my foot to the pedal, press down and pop the bike up onto the stand.

I applied some anti-skid tape to the top surface of the pedal, and I hadn't trimmed it fully before taking the photos.

Before springs were attached:

Center stand down:

Center stand retracted:

Any questions, just ask.

Fred
FredRydr is offline   Reply With Quote