Old 07-20-2013, 05:16 PM   #16
mikegc
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,459
Worst Bike Lending Experience?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mambo Dave View Post
Damn, Mike. Sorry to hear / read that.
Thank you, Dave. Very kind of you to commet.

Mike

Duty- Honoring a Friend
mikegc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 05:19 PM   #17
Grinnin
Forever N00b

Oddometer: 2,379
Last year a neighbor had a cousin visiting from overseas. The neighbor (about 4 miles away) seems like a decent sort although we don't run into each other often. The cousin I didn't know from Adam but he plays cello in a well-known symphony orchestra. The neighbor wanted to rent a motorcycle for his cousin.

I loaned him the CX500. I made sure it was entirely non-commercial.

It seemed to make the cellist happy. I was glad to help.

Grinnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 05:37 AM   #18
C/1/509
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,415
As a kid, we dumped each others well beaten dirt bikes, in the dirt, all the time. Maybe a bent part or two, but I don't remember any major damage happening.

Fast forward to newer, more expensive street bikes - it's never been a problem. And had been said, it's a cool way to get to ride all sorts of different bikes.
C/1/509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 05:44 AM   #19
tkent02
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertical C View Post
I have never had any problems, its a good way to get rides on a lot of bikes.

Its only a bit of metal anyway.
This, just don't lend a Hyabusa or a CR500 to a noob. Don't lend something expensive to a person who couldn't or wouldn't help you pay to fix it. Don't lend anything to an asshole. And whatever you do don't dump the other guy's bike.
tkent02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 05:49 AM   #20
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo

Oddometer: 12,857
Have a friend that I used to ride with all the time. About 4 years ago he sold his bike. I enjoyed riding with him, so I'd loan him my Weestrom to go on trips out to WV. One time, he was on my Weestrom chasing me on my r90/6 down a rough forest road. There were a few small washouts. Found out he'd bottomed out on one of the washouts and bent my new skid plate.

Good times were had by all.

You can be Han Solo, and I can be another Han Solo...
Boon Booni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 05:55 AM   #21
Vertical C
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,746
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkent02 View Post
This, just don't lend a Hyabusa or a CR500 to a noob. Don't lend something expensive to a person who couldn't or wouldn't help you pay to fix it. Don't lend anything to an asshole. And whatever you do don't dump the other guy's bike.
You cant legally ride either of those bikes here as a learner...

Ayway mine are insured for more than I would get for them if I tried to sell. It would be only bad if they didnt fully smash it. Even hen its like oh well. My brother smashed my 250 ninja, as a noob years ago when he borrowed it. We worked out a deal to pay for it , I have lent his and he has lent mine lots of times since.

People get worked up about bikes but they can be replaced. They are there as tools to have fun, one way to have fun with them is to trade for other bikes. To have a rule that you dont lend out bikes seems to be cutting your nose off to spite your face.
Vertical C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 05:58 AM   #22
Scratch33
Fugawi?

Oddometer: 1,941
Out for a day ride in the twisties some years ago. Girlfriend's on her Viffer and I'm on my FZ1. After a couple hours we swap bikes - she takes off leading. We come up on a tight downhill lefty with unexpected gravel in the curve - I lose sight of her in the turn. As I complete the curve I look up ahead to see my Fizzy sliding down the road in a shower of sparks and GF sliding towards the ditch, limp as a rag doll.
Old 07-21-2013, 06:32 AM   #23
slartidbartfast
Love those blue pipes

Oddometer: 4,736
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratch33 View Post
Out for a day ride in the twisties some years ago. Girlfriend's on her Viffer and I'm on my FZ1. After a couple hours we swap bikes - she takes off leading. We come up on a tight downhill lefty with unexpected gravel in the curve - I lose sight of her in the turn. As I complete the curve I look up ahead to see my Fizzy sliding down the road in a shower of sparks and GF sliding towards the ditch, limp as a rag doll.

Swapping bikes is not the same as lending bikes. If the Swap is even remotely equitable, you're covered. Plus if the bikes are similar, there's a pretty good chance the other rider is able to handle yours and vice-versa.

If I borrow a bike, I am both willing and able to pay for the repairs, pay the deductible and/or buy the bike. I think about this BEFORE I accept the keys. It took me a number of years to realize that not evereybody shares this philosophy when it comes to taking risks with other peoples' property.

One of my ex's co-workers used her car at lunch time while they were car pooling to work and managed to write it off. Not only did this bitch fail to pay the deductible but she never even offered to pick my ex up from home, despite living fairly close and knowing my wife had no alternate transportation to get to the carpool rendezvous. I was never allowed to meet this woman lest I should share my opinion on the matter.
Summer 2008 UK End-to-End ride
slartidbartfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 06:40 AM   #24
Scratch33
Fugawi?

Oddometer: 1,941
Quote:
Originally Posted by slartidbartfast View Post

Swapping bikes is not the same as lending bikes.
I'd say that would kinda depend on the outcome.
Old 07-21-2013, 07:10 AM   #25
mattness
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
Cry

my buddy asked if he could come over and ride one of my bikes since i have 6. i said do you have an endorsement? he said, yep!

so i get on my vmax and put him on my fury... he cant figure out how to get my helmet strap through the loops... so i helped him get it on... i got kinda nervous but he swore he could ride..

he goes to start my bike but every time he puts it in gear it dies... i was like cmon bro the kickstand duh... but again he swore he could ride...

i went ahead and pulled halfway up the driveway and noticed he wasnt following so i stopped and looked back...

suddenly, my honda fury was full throttle up a huge dirt bank in my front yard... then straight across our gravel parking lot straighjt for our work trucks... full throttle... his feet werent on the pegs... the front wheel was locked up because he was mashing the front brake for dear life... it was roosting gravel with the rear tire... i was like CLUTCH! CLUTCH!!!

luckily he went down right before he smashed one of the work trucks.

so i put him on a honda hawk 400. he did better but in one turn he target fixated on a huge jacked up black ford f150... he took his feet off the pegs and went right into that trucks lane... luckily the truck driver was awake and went completely off the road....

then pulling back into the driveway... i pull up and stop and wait for him to turn in... he pulls into the driveway but front brakes it... so it washes out... but then he mashes the throttle while trying to hold on... he was pinned under the bike and it was spinning around and around with him under it... it threw gravel in all directions... i was like KILL SWITCH!!! HIT THE KILL SWITCH!!1

sadly that time didnt go so well for him cuz his leg was under the exhaust pipe....

he never asked to ride again :(
mattness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 07:44 AM   #26
baloneyskin daddy
bikaholic

Oddometer: 1,906
So after he almost kills himself on his 1st attempt on one of your bikes you hadn't seen enough so you offer him another shot on a different bike. Really.
baloneyskin daddy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 08:02 AM   #27
BanjoBoy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 872
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
When my Brother biffed it while going about 40mph riding my DR 650. I was right behind him and watched the whole thing unfold.
I was so elated that I never even asked for him to chip in for new plastics.
I watched mah older bro toss mah R65LS down the road in front of me too, butt I wuz standing outside his house.
Thought he wuz go'in too fast ta make the turn into his court, 'n sure 'nuff he lost the front at 'bout 40, (Remember bias ply tires?) 'n slid 'n rolled get'n sum major rash (Cuz he wuz only wear'n jeans, a t shirt; no helmet.) 'n a few broken ribs. (We figured his ribs broke on the six pack of Oly he wuz carrying! )
Kinda felt bad for his sorry-ass, butt I made him pay for sum of the shit he busted.
Had the bike back on the road, 'n his ribs wuz still busted!

*EDIT*

BanjoBoy screwed with this post 07-21-2013 at 08:15 AM
BanjoBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 08:03 AM   #28
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,292
Quote:
Originally Posted by baloneyskin daddy View Post
So after he almost kills himself on his 1st attempt on one of your bikes you hadn't seen enough so you offer him another shot on a different bike. Really.
The guy I sold my Vulcan 800 to just about was the same kind of guy.

Swore he had ridden. No, he had never owned a bike, but a girlfriend of his had owned a Harley and he had ridden that, said he.

Oh, and could I ride it to his house for him after he bought it?

I knew the type, but it's a sad state of affairs to see a grown man lying so badly when I wouldn't have judged him one way or the other.

I spent time there at his house teaching him about the clutch and getting him started going up and down the street.
their motorcycles
." --
RyanR
Mambo Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 08:26 AM   #29
Rockmuncher
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 751
When I was 18 I bought a brand new 1979 Suzuki GS 850. That winter I stored it at a buddys shop when I was away working. One very warm February day, I decided to go get it and go for a spin. Turns out my "buddy" had the same idea and took it out and totalled it.
Rockmuncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 08:41 AM   #30
slartidbartfast
Love those blue pipes

Oddometer: 4,736
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockmuncher View Post
When I was 18 I bought a brand new 1979 Suzuki GS 850. That winter I stored it at a buddys shop when I was away working. One very warm February day, I decided to go get it and go for a spin. Turns out my "buddy" had the same idea and took it out and totalled it.
So did he "man up" and fix it or pay for it?
Summer 2008 UK End-to-End ride
slartidbartfast is offline   Reply With Quote