User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-20-2013, 04:42 PM   #1
Fast FOG OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
Questions for Townsville/Cairns Inmates

I've got a few questions for the locals to assist in my pretrip planning of the area.

I need to travel from Atherton to Mount Isa and want to take highways 1/62/63 (Kennedy Hwy/Kennedy Development Road/Gregroy Development Road).

First off, is it totally paved? I'll be traveling solo on a KLR loaded with clothing & camping gear. I figure if the road is paved, there will be more people traveling on it in case I have mechanical/injury issues.

Second, is petrol available somewhere around the middle? I don't think I can make the distance on one tank of petrol and will not be carrying extra.

I know I can take the A1 along the coast and none of the above will be a factor, but that will be backtracking the same road I came up from Brisbane. I want to see something new if I can. Maybe it won't be worth it if the scenery is that beautiful along the coast.

Also, any suggestions on quiet/secure/clean/inexpensive places to camp (either in a tent or cabin) in and around Townsville & Cairns. I'm not looking for a resort, nightlife, or close proximity to tourist attractions.

Thanks for any thoughts and suggestions.
When the forest burns along the road like God's eyes in my headlights, when the dogs are lookin' for their bones and its raining ice-picks on your steel shores, I'm gonna break my rusty cage and run. Johnny Cash -- Unchained
Fast FOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 06:10 PM   #2
FR700
Heckler™©®

Oddometer: 6,943
Plenty of fuel and all sealed now . Boring as all shit now . All roads out there are traveled whether dirt or sealed ... we don't have a choice .

Ravenshoe ( just past Atherton ) on the western side of town .

$5 a night tent ,fuel , showers and food ... very good people all right next to this sign .

Innot Hot Springs , fuel , food , camping .

Nothing between Mt Garnet and the Lynd . Next one after the Lynd is Greenvale which has everything as it is a small town .

The Lynd is a roadhouse , fuel , food and donga accommodation as well as camping . Also the turn off point for shortcut to the Isa . They started sealing the road ... don't know how far they have gotten .

Live a little and take the interesting road ... starts at Chillagoe and spits you out at the gulf north of the Isa .

FR700 screwed with this post 07-22-2013 at 04:09 PM
FR700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 06:31 PM   #3
Fast FOG OP
Adventurer

Thanks for the info FR700. I see my concerns about fuel availability on this stretch of road are unfounded. I just didn't want to get too far down the road and realize I'd have to push the bike for a while.

I appreciate the photos you've included in your post. Interesting hack you have there.

I'll make a point of taking the fuel/camping info you provided with me.

Thanks again.
When the forest burns along the road like God's eyes in my headlights, when the dogs are lookin' for their bones and its raining ice-picks on your steel shores, I'm gonna break my rusty cage and run. Johnny Cash -- Unchained
Old 07-20-2013, 06:45 PM   #4
FR700
Heckler™©®

Be aware that from Innot onward you are basically in the paddock with the cattle ... as in , no fences .

The scenery changes depending on the time of year but other than that you'd drive a golf cart along the roads you have chosen .

Have fun .

FR700 screwed with this post 07-22-2013 at 04:09 PM
Old 07-20-2013, 09:21 PM   #5
dirty dennis
are we there yet

Oddometer: 2,345
The ride from The Lynd to Hughenden is good dirt. 256 km & roughly 1/2 sealed. Unless you had a plan to take in the sights around Charters this will save you about 200km. Watch the 2 causeways about 30-40 km from the Lynd end, can be slippery depending on time of year. Have a look at porcupine gorge about 60 km from the hughenden end

7th Day Adventourist & Yassdasafarian
dirty dennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 08:13 AM   #6
Fast FOG OP
Adventurer

I've had a little experience riding your free-range areas with cattle along side the road. Certainly something to be aware of but wasn't a problem as long as the bush didn't grow right up along side the road. I can avoid if I can see them.

Also had some dealings with the road trains. I just bug off the road when I see one approaching from ahead or behind, let them pass, and mosey along again. They own the road as far as I'm concerned.

I appreciate the heads up on both accounts.
Old 07-21-2013, 08:26 AM   #7
Fast FOG OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirty dennis View Post
The ride from The Lynd to Hughenden is good dirt. 256 km & roughly 1/2 sealed. Unless you had a plan to take in the sights around Charters this will save you about 200km. Watch the 2 causeways about 30-40 km from the Lynd end, can be slippery depending on time of year. Have a look at porcupine gorge about 60 km from the hughenden end
After doing an image search on Porcupine Gorge NP, I might just have to check it out. Will most likely enter from the southern end since it's not too far off the main road. I don't have any particular sights in mind for going through Charters. I'm just trying to limit my exposure to isolated areas for safety reasons and increase my opportunities for petrol.

Thanks for the heads up.
Old 07-21-2013, 09:23 AM   #8
Fast FOG OP
Adventurer

How is the road up to Cooktown on the Mulligan Hwy? I'd like to investigate that area as well, and it looks like there are places to camp/eat/fuel in town.

Also, any recommendations on quiet/secure/clean/inexpensive caravan parks in and around Townsville & Cairns? Sometimes the best places to stay are not listed on the internet but are well known by the locals.
Old 07-21-2013, 01:06 PM   #9
dirty dennis
are we there yet

Oddometer: 2,345
mulligan highway is all sealed. cooktown is nice, we stayed at the big 4 can parkjust before you get to the roundabout into the main area of town. was a bit $, about $22 rabbit good facilities & shady campsites. if you can come back via cape tribulation that's good too. the dirt section is a bit narrow & steep in places& watch out for incoming traffic

7th Day Adventourist & Yassdasafarian
dirty dennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 04:53 PM   #10
Fast FOG OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirty dennis View Post
mulligan highway is all sealed. cooktown is nice, we stayed at the big 4 can parkjust before you get to the roundabout into the main area of town. was a bit $, about $22 rabbit good facilities & shady campsites. if you can come back via cape tribulation that's good too. the dirt section is a bit narrow & steep in places& watch out for incoming traffic
All good info: I thought the furthest north I'd get was Port Douglas. Now I have another destination. Thanks again Dirty
Old 07-21-2013, 05:25 PM   #11
FR700
Heckler™©®

Like Dirty said it's sealed . It's sealed for a fair way north of Cooktown as well .

If you head to Port Douglas just take the Bloomfield Track to Cooktown , you'll do it easy . Only the second creek crossing when heading north needs some attention from you . The Daintree river has a ferry ( southern end ) and the Bloomfield river has a low level bridge . The two other creeks are between those two .

Heading south take the Mulligan and enjoy the view from the escarpment .

When are you going to be over here ?

FR700 screwed with this post 07-22-2013 at 04:10 PM
Old 07-21-2013, 06:06 PM   #12
Fast FOG OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FR700 View Post
When are you going to be over here ?

I'll most likely leave Brisbane around the 3rd of October and head north. Roughly plan to have 10-12 days exploring the eastern coastline and Cairns area before I have to head south.
Old 07-21-2013, 07:25 PM   #13
FR700
Heckler™©®

Are you in country already ?
Old 07-22-2013, 08:01 AM   #14
Fast FOG OP
Adventurer

No, I'm still state-side. I won't be in Australia until the very end of September. This trip has been in the planning stages for 3 years, but the last little bit is approaching quicker than I thought it would.