Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Australia
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-21-2013, 04:00 AM   #16
Eaglebeak
Aussie BM rider, West Oz.

Oddometer: 1,835
I have found I could use them a few times. But like most foamies, they are designed to be disposable. They absorb moisture from the ear and become less effective.
Plus I am told, trying to reuse them too often can lead to ear infections because of the moisture build up. Fungal ?

So if I'm on a 5 day trip I'll carry 8 or 10 sets.
But I usually just use one set all day, in and out at fuel stops, then ditch them at the end of the day.
Eaglebeak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 04:45 AM   #17
Sibbo OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 352
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearclaw952 View Post
I got some custom silicone ear plug with a noise filter in them. They are the most comfortable ear plugs I have ever worn. I can wear them all day even tried sleeping with them in. Best sleep ever...although my wife didn't like it. she could wake me up when I was snoring. I'm an auto mechanic, so I do wear them all the time. With the filter you can still talk to people, but the filter cuts out harsh noise. wish I bought them sooner.
A noise filter ? How does that work? Is it one of those electronic noise cancelling things .

Thanks for the suggestions, I think I'll try to ring one of the distributors and ask which is the right type, cos as I mentioned I've had one good lot and a heap of far less effective ones and i can't tell the difference by looking at them.

I tried the silicon plugs but I must have screwed up the fitting because they never seemed to seal well.

BTW the components for the rather expensive silicon ear plugs are available from these companies and at a very small fraction of the rip off "ear plug' kit seller's prices.
http://www.amcsupplies.com.au/
http://www.dalchem.com.au/#2

Just ring them and explain the proposed use.
Sibbo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 05:32 AM   #18
barneyrubble
Just tired

Oddometer: 452
I've tried foam, silicone and wax ones but haven't looked back since getting a set of Earmolds at World supers in Feb earlier this year. As with anything it's horses for courses not everyone likes 'em but I love mine.
Old 07-21-2013, 05:52 AM   #19
Aussie Steve
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,389
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sibbo View Post
A noise filter ? How does that work? Is it one of those electronic noise cancelling things .

Thanks for the suggestions, I think I'll try to ring one of the distributors and ask which is the right type, cos as I mentioned I've had one good lot and a heap of far less effective ones and i can't tell the difference by looking at them.

I tried the silicon plugs but I must have screwed up the fitting because they never seemed to seal well.

BTW the components for the rather expensive silicon ear plugs are available from these companies and at a very small fraction of the rip off "ear plug' kit seller's prices.
http://www.amcsupplies.com.au/
http://www.dalchem.com.au/#2

Just ring them and explain the proposed use.
Explanation of the filters here:-

http://noisebrakers.com/noise_braker...e_braker_works
Aussie Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 06:18 AM   #20
Toad1957
Adventurer

Oddometer: 73
I swear by E.A.R Earsoft FX - they are rated SNR39, supposedly the highest rating you can get. They are very soft, so sometimes need a couple of goes to get them in snugly.

Wife prefers the Moldex Pura Fit 7700 (SNR34) - they are a much firmer foam, and I find them uncomfortable in the ear.

Both (and many others) available from the UK on ebay (most will ship to OZ). Heaps cheaper that I have been able to get them locally.
Toad1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 08:37 AM   #21
Fast FOG
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
I use the foam ear plugs and discard them after a day of riding. I believe their effectiveness and comfort relies on inserting them correctly.

This link explains it: http://voices.yahoo.com/how-properly...s-5229773.html
When the forest burns along the road like God's eyes in my headlights, when the dogs are lookin' for their bones and its raining ice-picks on your steel shores, I'm gonna break my rusty cage and run. Johnny Cash -- Unchained
Fast FOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 03:00 PM   #22
DonQx
Peripathetic @ Heart

Oddometer: 1,688
Tried all sorts of things. Got a strange shaped left ear canal. Stuff either doesn 't seal well enough or hurts.

These work best for me:

Pod Ear Plugs

Re-usable, washable. Last on average 15-20 riding days. Less than $2 a pair at one of the better stocked local work safety stores.
DonQx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 03:01 PM   #23
Happy Snapper
GOMOB.

Oddometer: 2,053
No matter which ear plugs i wear... After a couple if hours my right ear becomes agonisingly sore. A couple of doctors have had a look and have no idea why this happens.

Even with custom moulded plugs... in fact problem is worse with them!

Drives me nuts.

Never trust atoms.... they make up everything!

Read my Blog: http://snapshotsfrommark.blogspot.com.au
Happy Snapper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 03:05 PM   #24
lurkie
Sofa king we todded

Oddometer: 63
Very simple.

Buy the sample pack from earplugsuperstore.com. I bought 2. Then try out a bunch until you find the one that's best for your ears. Then buy a big box of those.

For me it was Moldex Softies, but everyone's ears are different.

The trial pack is totally the way to go.
lurkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 03:17 PM   #25
Sibbo OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks Toad, I'll chase those up.

Cheers.

Sibbo screwed with this post 07-21-2013 at 03:32 PM
Old 07-21-2013, 03:17 PM   #26
jollyrodger2005
DIRTY OLD MAN

Oddometer: 738
Hate wearing ear plugs, they hurt the shit out of my ears after 30 mins or so, now i use a set of noise cancelling ear buds, they cut out 80% of noise and have them hooked up to the phone with music. They work on a single aaa batt which lasts for about 50 hours. Brand is phillips and $50 off flea bay.
Old 07-21-2013, 04:05 PM   #27
Sibbo OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollyrodger2005 View Post
Hate wearing ear plugs, they hurt the shit out of my ears after 30 mins or so, now i use a set of noise cancelling ear buds, they cut out 80% of noise and have them hooked up to the phone with music. They work on a single aaa batt which lasts for about 50 hours. Brand is phillips and $50 off flea bay.
Do you have any trouble fitting them inside your helmet ?
Old 07-21-2013, 04:59 PM   #28
Portly
Plodder

Oddometer: 281
I'm in the category of people who cant stand ear plugs.
My fix was to throw away the peak on my helmet, cut down the screens for bikes screen by 100mm and keep the standard exhaust.
I suppose it also helps that my DR rarely goes over 110 and usually just plugs along at 100 on highway and a bit slower on dirt depending on conditions.
I have taped the top of the visor for glare protection from rising and setting sun.
I also find the lower screen better for summer conditions, and ok for winter with thermals then fleece then cordura jacket.
Portly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 08:07 PM   #29
Warin
Retired

Oddometer: 1,697
Quote:
Originally Posted by jollyrodger2005 View Post
Hate wearing ear plugs, they hurt the shit out of my ears
I've had foam ear plugs that did that to me... and I have one that don't hurt and stop lots of noise. You need to find ones that suit you ..

The ones that hurt were a tapered cone thing ... the ones I like are a hexagonal rod (no taper).

They all seam to have a speck of around 30dBa sound reduction, but it is very important that they fit.. if they don't you won't get anywhere near 30dBa. So don't worry about the speck, worry about the fit.

You can wash them (inside a pants pocket for example), dry them and reuse... I'd not use them wet, might promote problems.
Warin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 02:05 AM   #30
Rumble
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,767
Jelly Babies work alright, and you can eat them when you are finished

Ohh and that's not me. I use Howard Leight MAX plug when I do use any.

You Must Always Blow on the Pie Rumble's 2003 650 Transalp
2010 650 DR Suzuki
Rumble is offline   Reply With Quote