User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-21-2013, 04:26 AM   #1
Goosefeather OP
Captain Slow

Oddometer: 847
Unfinished Business - Kabunga Road, SEQ

No - that's not Cowabunga, Happy Snapper . . .

We (me/Happy Snapper/GMess) went for a poodlefake up Western Branch and Eastern Branch Roads, and went Manumbar Road / Elgin Vale Road / Kilcoy Murgon Road / Pei Road / Kinbombi Road / Kabunga Road, with the intention of going via Mount Mia and Shamrock Mine to Kilkivan via Black Snake Road.

We found the entry to Kabunga Road is signposted No Through Road - we went in a couple of km past Glenholme Station but ran out of time to go further (and stay within the limits of our leave passes) as we'd spent too much time sipping coffee earlier in the day.

Happy Snapper found the trip in his 4WD routes atlas, so we suspect the No Through Road sign is only to discourage cowboys and 2WDS.

Can anyone confirm the road goes through, and if so comment on the going? (i.e. suited to smaller or bigger bikes e.g. "DRZ" or "DR" or "Super Tenere")
Goosefeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 01:01 AM   #2
Eric66
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 301
I can't help you with that road but I'm keen as to spend a day looking around up there,hopefully this Sunday!
Regards Eric
Eric66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 01:30 AM   #3
Happy Snapper
GOMOB.

Oddometer: 2,098
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goosefeather View Post

We (me/Happy Snapper/GMess) went for a poodlefake up Western Branch and Eastern Branch Roads, and went Manumbar Road / Elgin Vale Road / Kilcoy Murgon Road / Pei Road / Kinbombi Road / Kabunga Road, with the intention of going via Mount Mia and Shamrock Mine to Kilkivan via Black Snake Road.

We found the entry to Kabunga Road is signposted No Through Road - we went in a couple of km past Glenholme Station but ran out of time to go further (and stay within the limits of our leave passes) as we'd spent too much time sipping coffee earlier in the day.

Happy Snapper found the trip in his 4WD routes atlas, so we suspect the No Through Road sign is only to discourage cowboys and 2WDS.

Can anyone confirm the road goes through, and if so comment on the going? (i.e. suited to smaller or bigger bikes e.g. "DRZ" or "DR" or "Super Tenere")
Now listen here Goosefeather... the book says suitable for soft roaders... even those towing trailers!

So a 2 wheeled Cadillac (AKA Super Tenere) should get through.

I think the take away part of this trip is this: Do the new and/or unexplored roads at the start of the day.... not at the end.

And.. to finish off my trip some Cee U Next Tuesday nearly took me out at the corner of Wagner and Sandgate Roads on the way home. Turned across my path... usual story.

Miss thank goodness!

Never trust atoms.... they make up everything!

Read my Blog: http://snapshotsfrommark.blogspot.com.au
Happy Snapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 01:32 AM   #4
GMess
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 206
I trust the inmates of this asylum don't mistake Kabunga for bunga bunga.
Old 07-22-2013, 04:47 AM   #5
Happy Snapper
GOMOB.

Oddometer: 2,098
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMess View Post
I trust the inmates of this asylum don't mistake Kabunga for bunga bunga.
You are the barrel boy at the next ADV Bunga Bunga ride mate!

Never trust atoms.... they make up everything!

Read my Blog: http://snapshotsfrommark.blogspot.com.au
Happy Snapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 02:29 AM   #6
woopwoop
will think for food

Oddometer: 5,239
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goosefeather View Post

There're a couple of ways through there.

Carry on Kabunga Road through Glenholme (past the house on your right, past the yards on your left, stay left at a Y in the track, across a couple of little sandy crossings and you'll come to a big white metal gate that leads through to the forestry at the back of Glenholme.

The track through Glenholme (Kabunga Rd.) is a gazetted road but if you run across anyone from Glenholme they'll want to know what you're up to......fair enough....I usually stop and tell them what I'm doing and ask if if it's ok and have never had any problems. You can avoid any contention over access by going in through Jimmy's Scrub Forestry (a few K's further towards Kinbombi) and come out in the forestry beyond the white gate but the last part of that track is pretty overgrown.

Once beyond the gate carry on (roughish track, but should be no problems on most bikes----I've been through on XT660 easy). Kabunga Rd. itself turns off to the right and comes out right at Wrattens Camp .....the big intersection of the A Flat-Widgee Rd and the Black Snake Road...... but is heavily overgrown and rutted....not recommended. Carry on to the end of the track and you'll come to a Y.....either option(the right the easiest, the left with a bit of a steep hill) will take you about 1 k up to Black Snake Road a few k's south of the Mt Mia turnoff.

woopwoop screwed with this post 07-25-2013 at 02:43 AM
woopwoop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 02:36 AM   #7
BygDaddee
Where do I get a pie

Oddometer: 1,562
I knew you'd know the answer to that one Woopwoop, and now you've said it I remember going through there with you, we will have to do some of that again real soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woopwoop View Post
There're a couple of ways through there.

Carry on Kabunga Road through Glenholme (past the house on your right, past the yards on your left, stay left at a Y in the track, across a couple of little sandy crossings and you'll come to a big white metal gate that leads through to the forestry at the back of Glenholme.

The track through Glenholme (Kabunga Rd.) is a gazetted road but if you run across anyone from Glenholme they'll want to know what you're up to......fair enough....I usually stop and tell them what I'm doing and ask if if it's ok and have never had any problems. You can avoid any contention over access by going in through Jimmy's Scrub Forestry (a few K's further towards Kinbombi) and come out in the forestry beyond the white gate but the last part of that track is pretty overgrown.

Once beyond the gate carry on (roughish track, but should be no problems on most bikes----I've been through on XT660 easy). Kabunga Rd. itself turns off to the right and comes out right at Wrattens Camp .....the big intersection of the A Flat-Widgee Rd and the Black Snake Road but is heavily overgrown and rutted....not recommended. Carry on to the end of the track and you'll come to a Y.....either option(the right the easiest, the left with a bit of a steep hill) will take you about 1 k up to Black Snake Road a few k's south of the Mt Mia turnoff.
BygDaddee is online now   Reply With Quote