P.s. what's wrong with a 250?

I'm still having adventures on this:

Athena Big Bore Project WRRDualsport.com
HighFive is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 08:52 PM   #78
PacificPT
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 979
Enjoying this RR very much, great photography!

There's roads and there's roads and they call, can't you hear it? Roads of the earth and roads of the spirit. The best roads of all are the ones that aren't certain. One of those is where you'll find me till they drop the big curtain. Bruce Cockburn
PacificPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 02:15 PM   #79
DirtClaudeKilly
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 194
I am enjoying your report and looking forward to more of it. I am another satisfied WR250R owner who has done some adventuring riding on it.
Old 07-27-2013, 02:44 PM   #80
jackanory
I am Jack's wasted life

Oddometer: 462
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManLee View Post

Not PC and I might get flamed by some but it was late in the afternoon, getting hot, there was no shade anywhere. Dean and I each had an extremely warm and foamy beer left from last night in our packs. It was the best warm beer I ever had. We were in the middle of nowhere at the intersection of 2 gravel roads and hadn't seen anyone for several hours. Apparently the road we were about to cross was the main road through the middle of nowhere because we saw about half dozen vehicles fly by after we cracked our beers. I suspect Canadians can smell a pilsner from miles away.
I see nothing wrong with this.

1 beer (or even 2) is not going to turn you into an inebriated homicidal vehicular menace to the polite society on the roads. Unless of course you weigh 40lbs. I suspect you're sporting a bit more than that.
jackanory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 03:37 AM   #81
thebugslayer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 58
More love for the WRR. Looking forward to starting my days with your RR...:
thebugslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 12:01 AM   #82
ManLee OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 56
Day 6

Day 6 June 26, 2013
Hyder, Ak to Boya Lake, BC
395 miles

Up at the crack of dawn to go see the salmon glacier. Yay right, not after you've been "hyderized". Plus I'm not sure there is a crack of dawn.

The road to the Salmon Glacier was fun because you can see the glacier from long ways off but you know that you're only seeing a tiny piece of it so the anticipation builds as you approach.

At the end of the road the views are spectacular. You hear this all the time but the pictures do not do it justice. If you get the chance, go see it. Too bad it was over cast but we are lucky it wasn't totally socked in. The sign was put there by a guy selling bear fight DVD's and post cards in case you forgot what you had just rode 1500 mile to see. More on that later.

So as I got to the end of the road the first thing I noticed before the glacier was a little stand set up with a sign advertising bear fight DVD's and post cards. For what ever reason that irritated me. 25 miles up a dead end dirt rode out in the middle of nowhere and someone wants to sell me something. Dean is a nicer guy than I am so after were get pictures and see the sights he strikes up a conversation with the guy. He's retired and lives in eastern Canada but comes over here every year and spends the summer. He makes all the DVD's and post cards himself. In the evenings he goes hiking and shoots video and stills and during the days he edits and sells them to the folks who show up. He does it all just for fun and sells the stuff to cover his costs. Nice guy and knew all about the area. I felt bad for being irritated earlier. Dean bought a DVD for $10 but by the time we got home the case was in a million pieces and the DVD was pretty beat up.

On the way back just below the glacier you could see several of these green pools next to the river.

Lunch in Stewart. Surprisingly the restaurants there are kind of fancy. I had french onion soup and dean had halibut. On the menu it said the halibut was served rare and the waitress repeated this. The people behind us were from Oklahoma and wanted seafood. They both ordered the halibut but were a bit scared about the rare part. When Dean got his food he pronounced "Its a good thing I like sushi because this thing is RAW!" This freaked the lady from Oklahoma out and she begged the waitress to have the chef "cook" the fish. The waitress said she would ask. When their food came it was cooked through and they were happy.

This is the bear glacier. You can see it from the highway on the way in and out of town. Quite the puny lame-ass glacier compared to the salmon. Dean was so unimpressed he never shut the motor off. He just stopped looked and moved on.(We actually stopped to see it on the way in also.)

Headed north on the Cassiar Highway. One of many steel grate decked bridges we crossed. The grates make your bike wander all over the place. I new this bothered dean a bit so I always sped up and went across them as fast as I could just to show him I wasn't scared.

We had just come from the town of Dease Lake where we were planning to stay. It was raining cats and dogs and were didn't feel like setting up camp in the rain. The motel was full and the restaurant was closed. It was late and we were tired but we motored on.

Glad we did. Found a nice place to camp at Boya Lake. The weather changed. It was warm and dry.

Dean had every flavor of mountain house meal meal made. I think we both made it back home with more meals than we ate.

This was the first time on the trip we had any mosquitos. They weren't really that bad but I didn't want to pack all this skeeter stuff for nothing.
ManLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 09:11 AM   #83
burtonrider3889
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 759
Nice! I can't wait for more updates!
2002 CR80R (SOLD)
burtonrider3889 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 10:05 AM   #84
ManLee OP
Adventurer

Updates

Quote:
Originally Posted by burtonrider3889 View Post
Nice! I can't wait for more updates!

Its definately a lot more work doing these reports than I anticipated. Up until midnaight last night. I'm trying to get one done every day. Fun way to relive the trip though. Its worth doing.
Old 07-29-2013, 10:59 AM   #85
MightyMouse
Adventurer

Oddometer: 84
Quote:
With that said - I tip my hat to KLR650 and DR650 owners who have the stamina to tour on big singles. Ironically - based on my recent and admittedly limited experience with the DR650 - the WR250R is a much more civilized and suitable touring machine.
Interesting observations on 650 vs 250.

I'm very interested in the WR250R but have just one concern about a 250 engine making this much power: longevity of the motor. How many miles do those things last before needing a valve job or rings/pistons or cylinder redone? Many highly-stressed dirt-bike engines like this need a rebuild by 15 or 20 thousand miles. No so with a DR650, which is a very under-stressed engine.

I have owned both the KLR650 and DR650 for many years. Never felt vibration was a problem with either, although I much prefer the DR650 over the KLR650. The DR is smoother, simpler, lighter, better off-road, bulletproof, trouble-free and lasts just as long as the KLR.
Old 07-29-2013, 11:18 AM   #86
Quantis
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 240
First valve check on a WR250R is over 40000Km. Yup that's right. Oil changes are every 5000Km

The engines are bulletproof. People regularly run 89 octane fuel despite the manual calling for 91 octane with no issues.

Click on the following link to the ADVrider WR250R/X Spec page. Lots of info.
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=538181
Old 07-29-2013, 03:21 PM   #87
DingWeed
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 461
Looking Good!!!
Scott
DingWeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 03:39 PM   #88
Full Power
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,421
You boys look a little big for a 250cc..... Oh, I see, you bought TWO 250cc bikes... that oughtta make for easier packing.
Old 07-29-2013, 05:15 PM   #89
Llamaha
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 699
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantis View Post
First valve check on a WR250R is over 40000Km. Yup that's right. Oil changes are every 5000Km

The engines are bulletproof. People regularly run 89 octane fuel despite the manual calling for 91 octane with no issues.

Click on the following link to the ADVrider WR250R/X Spec page. Lots of info.
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=538181
5000km oil changes assume some amount of dirt riding, the WR250X (street version) has 10,000km intervals for oil changes. So if you're on the highway you don't have to change at 5000km unless it's for warranty or something...
Llamaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 11:13 PM   #90
ManLee OP
Adventurer

Day 7

Day 7 June 27, 2013
Boya Lake, BC to Francis Lake, YT
178 Miles

Today we enter the Yukon!

You cant help but visit the sign forest, its the first thing you see when you come into town. The visitor center is right here so I went in to ask where the best place to get a hamburger is. She told me all the different places one could get a hamburger but she couldn't tell which was best. What she did tell me was that we should not go to Ross River on the Robert Campbell Highway. She said heavy mining trucks have torn the road up and that it is in terrible shape and nearly impassable. I tried to explain to her about the bikes we were on and that we could "go anywhere". She said the last group that tried had a bad crash and a serious injury. I told here we'd be fine and she had me sign a ledger and told me to check in at the visitor center in Faro and to have them call her. Wow what were we in for?

The first 60 miles of the Campbell highway is chip seal. It looks like they've got another section ready for tar and are clearing and grading a section after that. We probably loose a chunk of dirt each year but I doubt the whole thing will be paved in my lifetime.

This is one of the better sections of dirt we had between Watson Lake and Francis Lake. There were sections of terrible washboard, loose gravel and some duffy loose sand pits that wanted to swallow you up. It was tuff riding but not nearly impassable as described.

We camped at Francis Lake. Probably the best camping of the trip. Had the place to ourselves except for one old timer from Oregon who had been coming here every summer for 40 years to fish.

It was warm dry and bug free. So nice that we each took a dip to clean up and cool off.

Dean, staring out at the lake trying to figure how to catch one of those 40 inch lake trout that the old timer told us about.