Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Love this RR, can't wait for more! You're making my WRR jealous
zcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 05:49 PM   #122
Sidehil
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
Bears beat bugs, I'd take a grizz over the bugs. They eat pretty good too, I mean bear meat for you non kill guys.
Sidehil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 06:01 PM   #123
GotMojo?
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,102
Good stuff! Awesome photos!
GotMojo? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 06:56 PM   #124
The Breeze
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by winchester3030 View Post
That weird thing is the trans Alaska pipeline moving hot oil south ,at least I'm pretty sure thats what it is ,great report by the way o have been following you guys as o to am a proud owner of a wr
The Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 10:58 PM   #125
RACINGTHESUN
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 114
Keep it coming!

Awesome so far. Lived in Alaska for ten years, and never saw a day in the summer without tons of mosquitoes. As soon as the temp gets above freezing, they are swarming. The insects up there have a lot of antifreeze so to speak in their blood. I remember seeing a spider walking on a snowdrift when it was barely above freezing. Sure did love Alaska, and if I could afford it, I would live on Lake Louise, now that is heaven on Earth to me.....
RACINGTHESUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 10:45 AM   #126
ManLee OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 56
Day 12

Day 12 July 2, 2013
Galbraith Lake, AK to Deadhorse, AK to Coldfoot, AK
393 Miles

We woke early to rain and broke camp and headed for Deadhorse. Light rain off and on all the way to Deadhorse. The road was a bit slick, not bad except for the spots the grader had it tore up.

When we got to Deadhorse we thought we were pretty bad-ass for riding all the way here on 250's. Then we ran into 2 guys that rode all the way from Brazil on Harleys. They win.

We live in an age that if there's no picture it did not happen. So here they are. We made it.

This thing looks fast. We couldn't find anyone to give us a ride though.

This mini mart didn't have a very good selection. No burritos, taquitos, or corn dogs. Come to think of it there wasn't anything but knobs, levers and switches in there. We ate lunch in the cafeteria at the Prudhoe Bay Hotel. It was good, all you could eat and they had just about anything a person would want.

More proof that we made it.

We talked to several groups of workers while we were there and everyone was welcoming and interested to hear about our trip but there is definetley an overwhelming sense that you are some place where you don't belong. We saw all that there was to see and hit the road

Between Deadhorse and Atigun we had some heavy rain and the road got pretty bad especially where they were doing construction. Once we got over the hump the weather changed to warm dry and beautiful.

Stupid dust. Always got to have something to complain about.

We camped in the grass at cold foot. Much better for Dean to sleep on without his matress than the hard gravel last night. We drank cold beer in the saloon until they kicked us out.
ManLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 04:38 PM   #127
Sidehil
Adventurer

I just installed the same set again, but now I won't have to worry about weight! it's stock again, back to a very good trail bike. Well almost stock.
Old 08-09-2013, 04:47 PM   #128
Sidehil
Adventurer

I'm slow by the time I respond about tires the page updates and I'm lost! Back to tires again we copied Bigdog and Ding Weed. Very simple and my setup of choice for sure
Old 08-09-2013, 07:34 PM   #129
Toiretto
Getting into it!

Oddometer: 50
Great RR. Thank you for sharing. Keep posting please.
Toiretto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 11:16 PM   #130
RACINGTHESUN
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 114
Outstanding!

This is my favorite RR to read these days. Subscribed! Keep it coming
RACINGTHESUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 05:18 AM   #131
Sleddog
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 405
Very cool ride report! Good Job

My Brother & I were a week ahead of your guys. We followed BigDog & Dingweeds tracks from Midway, BC to Watson Lake. Then returned via the Alaska Hi-Way. I was riding a KLR with a 685 kit, my Brother was riding his new Honda CRF 250 L. he left his KLR at home. The 250 was the STAR of the trip. We came home & both sold our KLR's. I found a WR 250 in Memphis & did a Fly & Ride last week. I'm super satisfied with the decision to go with the 250. And yes, it's all Bigdog's fault

Keep up the good reporting. Fortunately or Unfortunately what ever you prefer, our Ride Report didn't materialize because none of the pictures of the trip turned out because of a defective repair that Canon performed on my G-12, so it's great to have your pics to view.

Sleddog
Sleddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 09:16 AM   #132
BigDogAdventures
Fart Letter

Oddometer: 4,773
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleddog View Post
I'm super satisfied with the decision to go with the 250. And yes, it's all Bigdog's fault
Boy I get all the heat
I used to get it for the Husky TE610 I had---and now the WR----got to give some of this to that Dingleweeds guy--------------He's right at 50,000 miles on his !!! He gets to ride year-round in Tuscon.

BigDog
KTM 690 Enduro 2014
If your bike weighs more than 400lbs. You might not make it.

BigDogAdventures screwed with this post 08-10-2013 at 11:13 AM
BigDogAdventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 10:53 AM   #133
ManLee OP
Adventurer

Day 13

Day 13 July 3, 2013
Coldfoot, AK to Fairbanks, AK
268 Miles

Up and ready for another day.

More great riding on the way back. The majority of the haul road south of Coldfoot is paved though.

The sections that are dirt are nice and smooth, better than the paved sections. That would change if it was wet.

While waiting for a pilot car I enjoy my usual snack, Mountain Muesli Pineapple macadamia nut squares. Shameless plug for my wife's, brother's, brother in law's company, Mountain Muesli. They are good. Although, unless you find yourself in a specialty grocery store near Tacoma WA you probably wont find them. I'm hoping he hits it big and I can be the official spokesman.

Back in Fairbanks we swing into Adventure Cycle Works for fresh rubber. First the bikes get a much needed bath. Dan says that he can tell by the dirt that comes off the bikes just how far you made it. There was no doubt we went all the way.

My bike stripped down and ready for a cleaning.

We both had Heidenau K60's put on for the ride home. The ride back ended up being a lot of pavement so they worked out well for us.

What are the chances that a fellow WR250R/X rider shows of while we are there. Our Rear 606's were pretty worn but the MT21's we had up front still had a lot of life left. Skierd on here took them off our hands. Nice guy with lots of WR250 knowledge. He moved to Fairbanks from the east coast with everything he owned on the 250. Awesome!

Dan from Adventure Cycle works is a hell of a nice guy and has a lot of great stories to tell. We didn't leave there until 10:30 PM. He charges by the hour but don't worry he only charges for the wrenching not the BS'ing.

The plan was to stay in the dorms in Fairbanks but it was so late by the time we got into town we just decided to hit the Hampton Inn again. I was ready for the hot tub, pool and free waffles!
Old 08-10-2013, 11:06 AM   #134
ManLee OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleddog View Post
Very cool ride report! Good Job

My Brother & I were a week ahead of your guys. We followed BigDog & Dingweeds tracks from Midway, BC to Watson Lake. Then returned via the Alaska Hi-Way. I was riding a KLR with a 685 kit, my Brother was riding his new Honda CRF 250 L. he left his KLR at home. The 250 was the STAR of the trip. We came home & both sold our KLR's. I found a WR 250 in Memphis & did a Fly & Ride last week. I'm super satisfied with the decision to go with the 250. And yes, it's all Bigdog's fault

Sleddog
I was following you guys on your spotwalla page. Fun to following along but it made the wait for our departure tougher. Definately BigDogs faults for the $10,000 hole in my wallet. I hope for his sake my wife never runs into him. Can't blame Dingweeds, he's probably just another helpless victim like the rest of us.
Old 08-10-2013, 05:40 PM   #135
Sidehil
Adventurer

only the peps that ride will get it, ride the whole world. This shit is special, I'm a long time climber, hunter,and skier, dam just ride Boys:.:..))))))))))