User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-21-2013, 02:20 PM   #1
Heimdall OP
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Two week eastern Europe trip

Me and a friend will be doing a bit of travel in eastern Europe in a couple of weeks time.
Well ride down for the Wacken festival in the end of July and after that hop on the Autozug from Hamburg to Bozen.
(I know it's cheating but we "did" Germany last year and are pressed for time.)
We'll ride through Stelvio down to Milan and then east via Venice into Slovenia.

Route will be Italy-Slovenia-Hungary-Slovakia-Poland.

Would really appreciate some dos and don'ts, what not to miss and especially things like if there are road taxes for motorbikes that have to be payed in an any of the above countries and how you go about it.
Heimdall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 04:24 AM   #2
RTLover
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,355
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heimdall View Post
Me and a friend will be doing a bit of travel in eastern Europe in a couple of weeks time.
Well ride down for the Wacken festival in the end of July and after that hop on the Autozug from Hamburg to Bozen.
(I know it's cheating but we "did" Germany last year and are pressed for time.)
We'll ride through Stelvio down to Milan and then east via Venice into Slovenia.

Route will be Italy-Slovenia-Hungary-Slovakia-Poland.

Would really appreciate some dos and don'ts, what not to miss and especially things like if there are road taxes for motorbikes that have to be payed in an any of the above countries and how you go about it.
Stelvio if you must , but why go to Milan and then ride the Most Boring Road in the Universe over to Venice? Granted, Venice is worth the trip but this time of year it will be packed with tourists. If you want to go from Stelvio to Slovenia, go via the Dolomites on road S48/R48, passing through Cortina, come out the east side of Italy and you'll be in Slovenia. Italy has tolls for the autostradas that apply to all vehicles.
Old 07-22-2013, 04:34 AM   #3
bratfred
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Hi,

In Slovenia motorways and express roads requires a sticker vignette.
Inhungary also but theres no that much toll roeads so you can just aviod them.
Slovakia is free for motorcycles and Poland has toll only on A4, A2 and A1 motorways paid directly at the gates with cash or card.

In Hungary I'd recommend to stay in one of theirs many vine regions (my favourite is the one around town of EGER). Slovakia has a nice mountains to cross and in Poland also are places worth visiting (maountains along souther border, city of Krakow, Baltic coast, lake district in north east) depending on how you rout looks like. Just don't expect to much in the central region of Poland that's rather boring.
Old 07-22-2013, 04:44 AM   #4
sloukes
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
So make sure you buy the Slovenian vignette - you get them at petrol stations.
They do have checkpoints to make sure you have one :)

Steve
sloukes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 04:57 AM   #5
Schussboelie
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTLover View Post
Stelvio if you must , but why go to Milan and then ride the Most Boring Road in the Universe over to Venice? Granted, Venice is worth the trip but this time of year it will be packed with tourists. If you want to go from Stelvio to Slovenia, go via the Dolomites on road S48/R48, passing through Cortina, come out the east side of Italy and you'll be in Slovenia. Italy has tolls for the autostradas that apply to all vehicles.
Couldn't agree more! Dolomites rock!
Schussboelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 06:34 AM   #6
Heimdall OP
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Thank you so much for the helpful replies.
Sorry but I need to cross off Stelvio from my bucket list so I'm afraid Cortina is a bit out of the the way.
But I've heard so many good things about the Dolomites I'll consider making it the focus on another trip, perhaps find a nice place to stay for a period of time and just ride without any particular destination.
Heimdall is offline   Reply With Quote