Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-27-2013, 09:35 AM   #31
Airhead Wrangler
Adios Mexico

Oddometer: 6,283
Quote:
Originally Posted by gs-ell View Post
Why does no one like the R65 as a race bike?
It's a short stroke, loves to be revved engine...
But most people i speak to always say go for the 1000, but isnt it a more low down grunty engine??
Yes, the R65 has a shorter stroke, but when you look at bore:stroke ratio, the R65 is basically identical to the R100, 1.333 vs. 1.331 respectively (near enough to make no difference), so the R65 isn't really any more "revable" by nature than an R100. It's just geared a lot lower so you find yourself NEEDING those revs a lot more often. Nothing about the R100 makes it any more of a low RPM motor than the R65. R100s have more usable torque at lower RPMs than an R65 so some people choose to use the lower revs, but that doesn't mean they should.

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.

Airhead Wrangler screwed with this post 07-27-2013 at 09:59 AM
Airhead Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 09:38 AM   #32
hardwaregrrl
You talkin' to me?

Oddometer: 6,686
Quote:
Originally Posted by violetpop View Post
So I have a few updates and a couple a question...

The question is as follows: do these top clamp bolts need a large 'o' ring around them? I just can't see how they seal and keep the oil in... They had thread tape over them which I can't imagine would be done from the factory.

!
No o-ring or teflon tape from Germany......I imagine thread pitch has a lot to do with the sealing capabilites. There is a flat washer, but given yours is an '86 andMax is saying that it was used up to 10/85, yours may or may not have it.. Enjoying the build....and fuck the old hippie. Wow, sounds like something my dad would say...

photo R65_zps3db846dd.jpg
hardwaregrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 09:41 AM   #33
_cy_
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,033
Quote:
Thank you mate.... I like what i see man, very interesting set up and i am sure it is a pleasure to ride!
not mine .. it's on Craigslist for $3k selling price. worth noting that R69S in original condition would be selling for $12k+
_cy_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 01:10 PM   #34
Voltaire
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,196
I had an R65 last year that I got cheap as a work bike, I would never have gone looking for one as I believed all the reviews that they were a gutless wonder. They are of course 300 odd cc down on the big bros, but gutless wonder er no. sure you have to keep them on the boil and the usual 4k motorway speed is 5k. I could rev mine to 8k and great fun on a twisty road.
I've been away with the missus on the back, overtaking becomes less of an option...you just need to go into cruising mode then.
The crankcase is nigh on identical to the large ones, other than the pushrod entries being on a different angle, crank is much the same without the balancing webs, weak point is the valve train. 7mm valves from that time were known to break.
If I was going to hot rod an R65 engine I would:
Raise the compression by skimming the bottom of the cylinders.
Fit lighter SS valves with beehive springs and titanium retainers.( you could go to 8mm stems)
The valves and ports are big compared to the R50( slug) and you could stick a maybe a set of 32 Dells or even 36's
Cam I think is fine, although I have a 336 profile one to go in my R45.
Here is a pic of my engine case so far.

I've done a bit of research as I'm building a R45 race motor at some point....
Its on hold at the moment as I'm happy enough with the R90 racer I built that goes, stops and handles really well despite what the keyboard pundits say
Have fun
Voltaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 05:53 PM   #35
violetpop OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by hardwaregrrl View Post
No o-ring or teflon tape from Germany......I imagine thread pitch has a lot to do with the sealing capabilites. There is a flat washer, but given yours is an '86 andMax is saying that it was used up to 10/85, yours may or may not have it.. Enjoying the build....and fuck the old hippie. Wow, sounds like something my dad would say...

Thanks for the info mate, cheers!
violetpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 05:56 PM   #36
violetpop OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gs-ell View Post
Just, slowly, updating the blog .......... http://superbeemer.blogspot.co.uk/
I've emailed you a few times you picking them up? got some plans for the engine i sent the info on, might be useful.
I can always look into shipping the parts to you if it works out a bit cheaper.

you settled on a colour for the bike yet?

Elliott
I will keep a close eye on the blog... Loving the pictures man!

I got an email from you but not the information about the plans for the engine.... I will private message you on here as it is easier to talk!!

As for the colour, it will be a mixture of black and black hahahaha..... Maybe a few stainless bolts through out! Ohh mate, shipping parts would be great. When the time comes i will work out exactly what im after and have a chat... Thanks again!
Old 07-27-2013, 05:57 PM   #37
violetpop OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travmoto View Post
Progress is looking really good mate. In the nanny state I'm guessing 650 will get to 100kph not to different from a r100?
You make a good point mate.... It was no slouch in city riding and i was always happy with it going through the twisties. Like every bike, people look for bigger and faster but for now the 65 will be fine.
Old 07-27-2013, 06:06 PM   #38
violetpop OP
Gnarly Adventurer

While I wait for the tyres I set about doing a few more things to the bike.

I fitted a new rear man seal as the old one was weeping ever so slightly. The new one which i purchased locally was different to the one that was one the bike. Different in how it seal. So I put the new one back into the same spot (flush to the black) with a touch of grease.

I also started to clean up the 32mm brings in preparation for their rebuild. Can anyone recommend something to soak them in when they are all apart? Something like a light acid or cleaner to really get them looking new. I might take up the task of giving them a light polish also.

Old 07-27-2013, 06:12 PM   #39
villageidiot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,225
take em apart and "boil them" in lemon juice.

you can read on the internet how to do it...... i use a crock pot.
villageidiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 06:17 PM   #40
motu
Loose Pre Unit

Oddometer: 4,326
The R65 Mono makes it's max torque much lower than the twin shock, at 3,500rpm, and pulls a taller final drive, the same ratio as the R80RT. Horsepower is the rate of work, torque x rpm divided by a constant - so less torque and more revs gives the R65 almost as much hp as the R80...48 against 50. Thrash the R65 and it's not far off, but the R80 will pull much better at low revs. I love thrashing my R65 Mono, it's almost the perfect engine for me.

On a race track the twinshock with higher torque peak and lower gearing might pull away a little on the Mono, but on twisty back roads the Mono has the edge, coming out of corners much faster and being able to short shift to use it's fatter mid range. Handling wise the twinshock is really sharp, a shit load of fun, but the Mono more stable and much better in the rough.
motu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 09:30 PM   #41
violetpop OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot View Post
take em apart and "boil them" in lemon juice.

you can read on the internet how to do it...... i use a crock pot.
Thanks mate, I took you advice and boiled them in lemon juice. Cleaned then up real good. Once I dried them off I also took to then with some median bristle wire brushes and some light sand paper. I think they will come up well after a bit of polishing.

All cleaned up...

Thanks again!
Old 07-28-2013, 02:36 AM   #42
R100LT
Chasing 11

Oddometer: 603
Looking good .. Don't let the purist slow you down ... All you are doing is taking a Naked bike and making it more naked ... Not like you are killing an RT to do this project
Old 07-28-2013, 03:20 AM   #43
violetpop OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by R100LT View Post
Looking good .. Don't let the purist slow you down ... All you are doing is taking a Naked bike and making it more naked ... Not like you are killing an RT to do this project
Thanks mate! The purist don't bother me. In fact I think that what they do is a great thing. I like nothing more than seeing a perfectly preserved or restored BMW or anything for that matter but I did try to outline in my first post what this project was about. I will soldier on as I am literally thinking about this bike and the final product 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

I will leave you all with a picture from my recent road trip and my visit to BMW Welt museum in Munich. Enjoy...

Old 07-28-2013, 12:09 PM   #44
gs-ell
Adventurer

Oddometer: 84
Quote:
I will keep a close eye on the blog... Loving the pictures man!

I got an email from you but not the information about the plans for the engine.... I will private message you on here as it is easier to talk!!

As for the colour, it will be a mixture of black and black hahahaha..... Maybe a few stainless bolts through out! Ohh mate, shipping parts would be great. When the time comes i will work out exactly what im after and have a chat... Thanks again!
Yeah no worries mate.
Carbs have come up lovely!!

All the best
gs-ell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 12:14 PM   #45
gs-ell
Adventurer

Oddometer: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airhead Wrangler View Post
Yes, the R65 has a shorter stroke, but when you look at bore:stroke ratio, the R65 is basically identical to the R100, 1.333 vs. 1.331 respectively (near enough to make no difference), so the R65 isn't really any more "revable" by nature than an R100. It's just geared a lot lower so you find yourself NEEDING those revs a lot more often. Nothing about the R100 makes it any more of a low RPM motor than the R65. R100s have more usable torque at lower RPMs than an R65 so some people choose to use the lower revs, but that doesn't mean they should.
Cheers for the info, what is it on the r65 thats geared lower, the gearbox, final drive, or is it engine internals? - Sorry for the questions slowly learning!!

Thanks

Violetpop - sorry if i'm hijacking your thread interested to know more
gs-ell is offline   Reply With Quote