Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-22-2013, 07:01 PM   #16
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer: 7,340
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonLargiader View Post
From the ad:
I have to admit I didn't read all the way to the bottom of the ad. It does say not compatible with fuel and oil but earlier it says suitable for intake components. I'm at a loss to explain what they mean.

Pay your debt, privatejohn.http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
disston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 08:49 PM   #17
supershaft
because I can

Oddometer: 7,584
Most of the time it seems like everyone jumps on someone for not mentioning what model when it doesn't matter and then no asks the question when it does. Small port heads have carb spigots for both 32 and 40mm carbs. Last time I checked they were cheap. Big port heads don't have spigots for 32mm carbs. What heads does the OP have?
supershaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 09:04 PM   #18
robtg
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 532
I think he is trying to put 32mm carbs on big port heads for whatever reason.
robtg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 09:14 PM   #19
supershaft
because I can

For wrongever reason? I have no advise for that.
Old 07-22-2013, 09:21 PM   #20
Plaka
Brevis illi vita est

Oddometer: 4,451
Quote:
Originally Posted by disston View Post
I have to admit I didn't read all the way to the bottom of the ad. It does say not compatible with fuel and oil but earlier it says suitable for intake components. I'm at a loss to explain what they mean.
All intake components upstream of the carb don't take fuel. Most don't take oil either although on the airhead the crank windage is just upstream of the carb.
Plaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 10:16 PM   #21
mykill
odd

Oddometer: 1,147
Quote:
Originally Posted by robtg View Post
I think he is trying to put 32mm carbs on big port heads for whatever reason.
Sounds like budgetary reasons. Sounds like a good 38mm Mikuni or Dellorto application to me.
Old 07-22-2013, 10:25 PM   #22
Warin
Retired

Oddometer: 1,335
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plaka View Post
All intake components upstream of the carb don't take fuel. Most don't take oil either although on the airhead the crank windage is just upstream of the carb.
Ummm.. I've had the carbs flood .. and the bmw components took the excess fuel without dissolving. They also take oil - engine blow by. I'd need any components in that area to take both fuel and oil. I can fix beside the road the fuel over flow, tolerate the oil but some component dissolving?
Warin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 04:44 AM   #23
centdukesfan OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 65
i dont think these things would dissolve with fuel - just not made to put liquid fuel through every day

I could get new carbs - but why? R100s used to run the 32mm bings, and ive had success running the bike very smoothly with a less than ideal jerry rigged setup. I want something more permanent and that doesnt have vacuum leaks
centdukesfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 05:53 AM   #24
Plaka
Brevis illi vita est

Oddometer: 4,451
Quote:
Originally Posted by centdukesfan View Post
i dont think these things would dissolve with fuel - just not made to put liquid fuel through every day

I could get new carbs - but why? R100s used to run the 32mm bings, and ive had success running the bike very smoothly with a less than ideal jerry rigged setup. I want something more permanent and that doesnt have vacuum leaks
Not so much dissolve as swell and get soft and gummy. You are putting liquid fuel through them ever day. If the mfg. says don't then don't. You don't know more about them than they do. These things are for turbo to intercooler transitions and the like. No gas, but very hot.

See if 32mm spigots will screw into your heads.

Check out Sudco for proper rubber adapters.

Consult the folks at Rocky Point Cycle about proper rubber adapters.
Plaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 08:58 AM   #25
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer: 7,340
Quote:

That's just it. As mentioned by Mr. SS you have not given the year and model of this engine yet. All we know is it is an R100 in an R80 frame. Not all R100 engines are the same. This may be one of the years that has different sized metal spigots that screw into the head. If so it would work much better than rubber adapters.

Pay your debt, privatejohn.http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
disston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 09:10 AM   #26
supershaft
because I can

Quote:

/7's that came with 32mm carbs have different heads. Small port heads. Different carb spigots, port sizes, and valve sizes. I don't think anyone has made a spigot to put a 32mm carb on a big port head.

Everything up stream doesn't take fuel? That's not even close to right. Reversion. Idle your airhead without the snorkels on. You can see it with your own eyes. It happens.

Know better than the manufacturer? That's sometimes easy to do.

supershaft screwed with this post 07-23-2013 at 09:34 AM
Old 07-23-2013, 09:14 AM   #27
Airhead Wrangler
Adios Mexico

Oddometer: 6,202
Not the exact application you have, but should work the same. I used the stock bmw rubbers to fit mikuni VM34s on big port heads. Get one of the larger rubbers for 40mm carbs, and sleeve one of the smaller rubbers for 32mm carbs (trimmed to half its length) inside of it where it clamps to the carb. The portion that clamps to the spigot will still be the larger ID. Use the stock BMW clamps on the outside and the whole mess will look like this (but with a bing):

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.
Airhead Wrangler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 12:34 PM   #28
centdukesfan OP
Adventurer

i did that, but the back pressure blew it out a few times, i could never really get a good fit. Youve never had that problem?
Old 07-23-2013, 12:41 PM   #29
Airhead Wrangler
Adios Mexico

Oddometer: 6,202
Quote:
i did that, but the back pressure blew it out a few times, i could never really get a good fit. Youve never had that problem?
I haven't put many miles on it yet. What "back pressure" are you talking about? Sounds more like a backfire. There shouldn't be any pressure in your intake tract that would blow your carb off the head. You might have a leaky intake valve or your ignition or your cam is timed wrong.

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.
Airhead Wrangler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 01:27 PM   #30
centdukesfan OP
Adventurer

When the engine stops, i believe there is air blowback which puts pressure on that connection.