User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-22-2013, 07:07 AM   #1
TuonoBiker OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 708
Question Hate to start another seat thread......but I'm gonna

I've been researching seats for quite a while and am close to pulling the trigger. I whittled it down to the Sargent and the TT-Kahedo Breathable.

There is very little information on the forum by way of reviews regarding the TT seats for some reason. The reviews I did find were very positive. However for the price of a single, I could buy both front and rear seats in the Sargent flavor.

Ramblings:
So just a bit of background - I put 7200 miles on the stock seat - solo and two-up. My wife has zero issues with the stock passenger seat, but does tend to slide front a bit...most of the aftermarket setups address this problem. I have had only one major issue with the stock driver seat: Sitting on the jewels. The padding is fine for my 185lb arse; it's taken me on 650 mile days in 98* heat/humidity. The cushion started to really soften and collapse after 350-400 miles, but it was still manageable. The real problem seems to be forced to roll front onto the nuts & bolt. After while, its like they're in a freakin' tourniquet! I tried lowering the rear height-adjustment bar, which helped a bit. Planning a weeklong trip to Asheville, NC and Deals Gap area for end of August, so I think I'd like to just buy something now before the trip.

The breathable fabric on the TT seat sounds really good, but I'm starting to get cheap. I shouldn't since I sold the Harley and have plenty of dough left over burning a hole in my pocket.

The Real Question:
Anyway, so the real question as I'm now leaning toward Sargent is which is the preferred material...standard or new Performance Plus with better grip? More grip sounds good on one hand, but then the ability to slide around and adjust yourself easily sounds good to. I ride in textile gear (RP3). What say you, inmates?

The Not-so-real Question:
Then there's the heated question...I rode in fairly cool weather last winter - low 30's...and was fine without heated seat. Think I'll skip this.

'07 Tuono Factory - gone but not forgotten
TuonoBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 07:30 AM   #2
Gillus
High Desert Rat

Oddometer: 687
I'll sell ya a nice Sargent with maybe 8000 miles on it. Front only tho
Gillus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 07:42 AM   #3
Hikertrash
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,601
I have the Sargent performance plus seat on my GSA. The material is much more durable than the standard seat which I also had. The grippy material is on the side of the seat where your knees would be when standing. Mine has about 6000mi on it and recently let me ride 835mi in 15 hours with stops only for gas. I had a TT last year for about week, but sold it because I felt it was too firm. I wish I gave it more time because the material did keep me arse dry after riding in the summer. Not sure if you're aware, but TT will loan you a seat if you pay shipping charges to/from your house. Sargent will also give you a 30 day return if you don't like it. I'm actually thinking of buying the breathable seat as well to test out again.
Hikertrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 07:57 AM   #4
iride4u
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 321
Another option is Kontour, Ron 's seats are all breathable and are custom made. I had one on my Triumph Tiger XC that I traded in on my GS LC.
Old 07-22-2013, 08:30 AM   #5
Thunderbird
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
I have no experience with the TT, but I have no complaints with my Sargent. I've never been tempted to replace it, even after long riding days. I cover it with a sheepskin, which negates any concern for me about the material, or heating. Uncovered, it's comfortable, but more slippery than I like with my 'stich pants. Fine with jeans.
Thunderbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 09:17 AM   #6
TuonoBiker OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 708
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikertrash View Post
I have the Sargent performance plus seat on my GSA. The material is much more durable than the standard seat which I also had. The grippy material is on the side of the seat where your knees would be when standing. Mine has about 6000mi on it and recently let me ride 835mi in 15 hours with stops only for gas. I had a TT last year for about week, but sold it because I felt it was too firm. I wish I gave it more time because the material did keep me arse dry after riding in the summer. Not sure if you're aware, but TT will loan you a seat if you pay shipping charges to/from your house. Sargent will also give you a 30 day return if you don't like it. I'm actually thinking of buying the breathable seat as well to test out again.
More durable is always good I guess. I have heard the TT is very firm, which never has been an issue for me in the past on different bike seats...in fact I usually prefer it. Was the seat impressive enough otherwise to demand the high price tag? Do you remember if it rolled you back a bit to alleviate sliding the crown jewels into the tank?

I didn't know they did loaners...I suppose I could just buy both and compare side by side then return the 1st loser...err, ah, 2nd place winner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderbird View Post
I have no experience with the TT, but I have no complaints with my Sargent. I've never been tempted to replace it, even after long riding days. I cover it with a sheepskin, which negates any concern for me about the material, or heating. Uncovered, it's comfortable, but more slippery than I like with my 'stich pants. Fine with jeans.
Ahhh...the sheepskin. Seems to be the way a lot of guys go...
'07 Tuono Factory - gone but not forgotten
TuonoBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 09:35 AM   #7
TBob
Offroad Fab Guy

Oddometer: 692
I would only recomend that company to someone I didn't like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iride4u View Post
Another option is Kontour, Ron 's seats are all breathable and are custom made. I had one on my Triumph Tiger XC that I traded in on my GS LC.
Garden of Eden, the Sierra Club would have.
TBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 09:40 AM   #8
Hikertrash
Beastly Adventurer

Tuono,

I prefer a firm seat, too. I felt the TT seat was a bit firmer than the Sargent, but I think that could be a plus on long rides. What I don't like about the Sargent is there is a pronounced lip at the back of the seat so you're kind of stuck in one position. With the front bar raised, and back lowered I don't slide forward crushing the jewels. I don't think I would pay full price for the TT seat. The one I had, I bought used from an inmate for $350. I was thinking of using one of their loaners for a week to see how it worked and if I liked it, I think I'd pay their premium price if I couldn't find one used. I don't remember the TT seat rolling me forward.
Old 07-22-2013, 09:51 AM   #9
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,563
Quote:
Tuono,

I prefer a firm seat, too. I felt the TT seat was a bit firmer than the Sargent, but I think that could be a plus on long rides. What I don't like about the Sargent is there is a pronounced lip at the back of the seat so you're kind of stuck in one position. With the front bar raised, and back lowered I don't slide forward crushing the jewels. I don't think I would pay full price for the TT seat. The one I had, I bought used from an inmate for $350. I was thinking of using one of their loaners for a week to see how it worked and if I liked it, I think I'd pay their premium price if I couldn't find one used. I don't remember the TT seat rolling me forward.
Do you have the low seat? The low seat definitely has the lip, and the regular height one much less of one.

I have the low seat and have about 40K miles on them. I have done several 7-800 mile days on it, some back to back. I am much heavier than the OP, so the firmness of the seat will be a bit more for him.

As for the fabric, it lasts a LONG time. Looks good, grippy enough, but not too grippy IMHO.

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 10:16 AM   #10
Hikertrash
Beastly Adventurer

Jim, I have the standard height seat.
Old 07-22-2013, 10:24 AM   #11
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,563
Quote:
Jim, I have the standard height seat.
You should try the "lip" on the low seat then.

Seriously, once you get used to it the lip isn't so bad. I have short legs so I can still move around some. With long legs that might be an issue.

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 10:39 AM   #12
VEGASGSA
Need more Summer

Oddometer: 6,684
After nearly 75K on the stock seat..with the only real complaint being, it would give me a hot spot at my tailbone ass crack junction after several hours..I bought a Sargent at the BMW Rally..My first impressions were.."wow.feels great.." Then yesterday on the ride home, we came up the coast..couple hundred miles I guess..I still think the Sargent is fine but need to determine, if I was was just a bit sore from all the walking..and an off road class..but the seat seems to catch me under my thigh, to the inside..where the edge of the seat rolls down..If I get off and walk around two minutes..I'm good for another hour..I think it's more a break in issue.

I'm all good this morning but quads still WAY sore from practicing some techniques..so may just be muscle soreness..

I'll be trying to wear it out in the next few days though, so I can return if need be.
VEGASGSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 10:54 AM   #13
Hikertrash
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by VEGASGSA View Post
After nearly 75K on the stock seat..with the only real complaint being, it would give me a hot spot at my tailbone ass crack junction after several hours..I bought a Sargent at the BMW Rally..My first impressions were.."wow.feels great.." Then yesterday on the ride home, we came up the coast..couple hundred miles I guess..I still think the Sargent is fine but need to determine, if I was was just a bit sore from all the walking..and an off road class..but the seat seems to catch me under my thigh, to the inside..where the edge of the seat rolls down..If I get off and walk around two minutes..I'm good for another hour..I think it's more a break in issue.

I'm all good this morning but quads still WAY sore from practicing some techniques..so may just be muscle soreness..

I'll be trying to wear it out in the next few days though, so I can return if need be.
That's where mine bothers me. It never did, but after sitting on it for almost 15 hours straight, I can't ride 30 minutes without it bothering me anymore.
Old 07-22-2013, 11:02 AM   #14
100RT
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 552
I happened to be reading some posts and saw this one. I dont ride a GS but have an 03 R1150RT and the seat sucked. I recently heard about a guy in Florida that would rework your seat and modify it to suit the rider for a minimal amount of cash.
I sent my front seat in with a few pictures of me on it and I had it back in a total of 8 days. Ohio to Florida and back for $75 plus shipping. The seat is great! I had the sliding forward problem and wanted to sit further back on the wide part of the seat. He also used a new type of filler called Supracor
Read the FAQ section and see if it is of interest. Just thought I would offer a cheap alternative. Seats are terribly expensive.
I have a leather Bill Mayer that isnt as comfortable as this modified stock seat.
I also ride an airhead, 81 R100RT
Ride safe.
http://greatdaytoride.com/Home_Page.php

100RT screwed with this post 07-22-2013 at 11:40 AM
100RT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 11:08 AM   #15
JetSpeed
Naviator

Oddometer: 2,437
I was able to quit wasting money on expensive aftermarket saddles after I discovered the Brazilian Butt Workout.

Breakfast first, lunch second and safety third.
I'm a staunch believer in MTGMTT, don't take unnecessary chances too often.
JetSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote