ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-22-2013, 12:07 PM   #16
TuonoBiker OP
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Location: So.Central PA
Oddometer: 712
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
You should try the "lip" on the low seat then.

Seriously, once you get used to it the lip isn't so bad. I have short legs so I can still move around some. With long legs that might be an issue.

Jim
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikertrash View Post
That's where mine bothers me. It never did, but after sitting on it for almost 15 hours straight, I can't ride 30 minutes without it bothering me anymore.

So it sounds like the seam between the seat and the sides is causing the trouble? Just looking at the pictures online and it looks like that could be the problem.

I will mention the other part of these seats is they are all lower than the GS Adventure stock seat by about .7 inches. Which doesn't sound like much, but with long legs, every bit helps relieve the cramped feeling. I may end up having to look at lower pegs. *sigh* more farkles....
__________________
-----------------------------------------------------------------
'12 R1200GS Adventure
'11 Harley Street Glide - gone and pretty much forgotten
'07 Tuono Factory - gone but not forgotten
TuonoBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 03:52 PM   #17
Hikertrash
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2011
Location: Arizona
Oddometer: 2,701
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuonoBiker View Post
So it sounds like the seam between the seat and the sides is causing the trouble? Just looking at the pictures online and it looks like that could be the problem.

I will mention the other part of these seats is they are all lower than the GS Adventure stock seat by about .7 inches. Which doesn't sound like much, but with long legs, every bit helps relieve the cramped feeling. I may end up having to look at lower pegs. *sigh* more farkles....
For me, it's the hard ledge that hurts my inner thighs, not the seam.
Hikertrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 06:44 PM   #18
VEGASGSA
Need more Summer
 
VEGASGSA's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: The Northwet..
Oddometer: 6,859
On the standard seat there is no seam there..it's how the foam is poured..shaped..

Short jaunt for errands today..no problems..
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
You are not half as ugly as I thought you would be!
VEGASGSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 07:06 PM   #19
Joeboxer82is
Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2013
Oddometer: 26
Different opinions/feedbacks will vary.
I returned my TT seat after 2 weeks! I felt like i was sitting on a piece of stone! It was rock hard! What the hell were they (Kahedo) thinking?! Used it for my daily ride and a 450km trip was e final blow! My back was hurting!

Saw a friend bought a Sargent for his Tiger800 and i thought why don't i give it a try. Bought it about 2 weeks later and never once regret my decision! e Sargent feels like it cradles my big ass and it looks a lot better on my 11 years old R1150GS! I would definitely recommend e Sargent. Cheers!
Joeboxer82is is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 07:31 PM   #20
teomannaskali
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2011
Location: Plaka 34
Oddometer: 738
To the op

Try changing you underpants. I found that if you have boxers you tend to sit on your gonads. If you have something a bit strechy and graspy that helps.
teomannaskali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 05:07 AM   #21
Botch
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Botch's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2013
Location: Ogden, Utard
Oddometer: 313
I sent you a PM...
Botch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 05:12 AM   #22
IB1
Studly Adventurer
 
IB1's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2013
Location: Brussels
Oddometer: 892
Every ass has its own preferences. I am considering a visit to bagster.
IB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 07:40 AM   #23
lhendrik
Truffle Rustler
 
lhendrik's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: New York and Floridoodie
Oddometer: 2,259
I have the TT Extra Low seat, by Kahaedo. It is the only way I could ride the tall GSA and have my feet touch ground. I have a Rick Mayer custom seat that is more comfortable too but it is too tall to ride safely.

The TT Extra Low is expensive, and the foam is thin and hard as a rock. There is a very pronounced cut out shape to get you low, and it looks like it would crush your nuts, but I have found the seat OK on very long tours. I'd like more of a Russell Day Long shape to cradle by ass better, but that one puts me up so high I would never be able to ride it, not to mention the "wings" getting in the way.
__________________
Normal is just a setting on the dryer.
2009 R1200GS A, 2008 K1200GT
lhendrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 08:36 AM   #24
TuonoBiker OP
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Location: So.Central PA
Oddometer: 712
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeboxer82is View Post
Different opinions/feedbacks will vary.
I returned my TT seat after 2 weeks! I felt like i was sitting on a piece of stone! It was rock hard! What the hell were they (Kahedo) thinking?! Used it for my daily ride and a 450km trip was e final blow! My back was hurting!

Saw a friend bought a Sargent for his Tiger800 and i thought why don't i give it a try. Bought it about 2 weeks later and never once regret my decision! e Sargent feels like it cradles my big ass and it looks a lot better on my 11 years old R1150GS! I would definitely recommend e Sargent. Cheers!
Great feedback, thanks! Was it the low seat? Low seats have to lose something somewhere in order to get you down lower. Its usually less padding, then what padding is provided is more firm. Personally, I need stock height in the upper position. Much more leg room that way, plus I can still flat foot the left and ball of foot the right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by teomannaskali View Post
To the op

Try changing you underpants. I found that if you have boxers you tend to sit on your gonads. If you have something a bit strechy and graspy that helps.
Yepper! I haven't tried compression shorts, but realized I had a pair from a few years ago when I rode the mountain bike a bit. I'll give them a try. I do wear boxer-brief Exofficio shorts, which are very good at keeping it all in place as well as keeping you dry...which is very important.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhendrik View Post
I have the TT Extra Low seat, by Kahaedo. It is the only way I could ride the tall GSA and have my feet touch ground. I have a Rick Mayer custom seat that is more comfortable too but it is too tall to ride safely.

The TT Extra Low is expensive, and the foam is thin and hard as a rock. There is a very pronounced cut out shape to get you low, and it looks like it would crush your nuts, but I have found the seat OK on very long tours. I'd like more of a Russell Day Long shape to cradle by ass better, but that one puts me up so high I would never be able to ride it, not to mention the "wings" getting in the way.
I noticed that pronounced shape as that's the model they have online. Looks crazy...like sitting in a bucket. Can't imagine it being comfortable.
__________________
-----------------------------------------------------------------
'12 R1200GS Adventure
'11 Harley Street Glide - gone and pretty much forgotten
'07 Tuono Factory - gone but not forgotten
TuonoBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 08:38 AM   #25
WindSailor
Studly Adventurer
 
WindSailor's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: Somewhere out West
Oddometer: 607
Curious - why you don't consider the Saddlemen Track seat an option?

I think the majority of us older croonies have an issue of crowding the boys. Personally I tend to sit further back in the seat which is geared toward the Russel seats (the wings I believe are for slab riding only), but I put on a back rest to help on those long rides and that item pushes me back forward again which annoys the hell out of the boys. That 'vent' is looking pretty good. Either that or my seat is going in for a rebuild.

Or... just toughen up and do more riding...

I haven't seen a horse saddle that has foam padding on it yet... am I THAT soft?
WindSailor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 08:46 AM   #26
TuonoBiker OP
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Location: So.Central PA
Oddometer: 712
Quote:
Originally Posted by WindSailor View Post
Curious - why you don't consider the Saddlemen Track seat an option?

I think the majority of us older croonies have an issue of crowding the boys. Personally I tend to sit further back in the seat which is geared toward the Russel seats (the wings I believe are for slab riding only), but I put on a back rest to help on those long rides and that item pushes me back forward again which annoys the hell out of the boys. That 'vent' is looking pretty good. Either that or my seat is going in for a rebuild.

Or... just toughen up and do more riding...

I haven't seen a horse saddle that has foam padding on it yet... am I THAT soft?
I did consider one...not sure about that groove in the middle...looks like it would give the boys breathing room, but also looks like extra edges that would be uncomfortable for some reason.

I try to sit further back in the seat, but then I have to reach/lean forward to the bars...which then puts me more on top of the boys than trying to scoot front and sit more on my rear end.

Well, the toughen up part...maybe...but I've put plenty of 500+ mile days on the stock seat. Its not about hurting and being saddle sore for me, it really is about sitting square on my sack. And that isn't something that you just toughen up and get used to really.

I know....maybe I should take some time off from riding and go become a Shaolin monk......can't they teach you to suck the boys up inside so when you're fighting you can take a kick to the groin and not go down crying soprano? Hmmm....I might be onto something...
__________________
-----------------------------------------------------------------
'12 R1200GS Adventure
'11 Harley Street Glide - gone and pretty much forgotten
'07 Tuono Factory - gone but not forgotten
TuonoBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 09:23 AM   #27
VEGASGSA
Need more Summer
 
VEGASGSA's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: The Northwet..
Oddometer: 6,859
Quote:
Originally Posted by WindSailor View Post
Curious - why you don't consider the Saddlemen Track seat an option?

I think the majority of us older croonies have an issue of crowding the boys. Personally I tend to sit further back in the seat which is geared toward the Russel seats (the wings I believe are for slab riding only), but I put on a back rest to help on those long rides and that item pushes me back forward again which annoys the hell out of the boys. That 'vent' is looking pretty good. Either that or my seat is going in for a rebuild.

Or... just toughen up and do more riding...

I haven't seen a horse saddle that has foam padding on it yet... am I THAT soft?
Looking at the Saddelman..it seems in theory to be spot on..I sat on one at the Rally and in one minute knew it wasn't the seat for me..it concentrated my weight on my pelvic bones...while I'm a fairly average American male..carrying some xtra girth around the middle..I have a skinny arse..even on my Seargent Seargentor the stock seat..I can feel my pelvic bones on the seat. A Russell or Mayer would prolly fix this but I'm not convinced with them for off road. I may be all wet though..
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
You are not half as ugly as I thought you would be!
VEGASGSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 09:53 AM   #28
TuonoBiker OP
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Location: So.Central PA
Oddometer: 712
Quote:
Originally Posted by VEGASGSA View Post
Looking at the Saddelman..it seems in theory to be spot on..I sat on one at the Rally and in one minute knew it wasn't the seat for me..it concentrated my weight on my pelvic bones...while I'm a fairly average American male..carrying some xtra girth around the middle..I have a skinny arse..even on my Seargent Seargentor the stock seat..I can feel my pelvic bones on the seat. A Russell or Mayer would prolly fix this but I'm not convinced with them for off road. I may be all wet though..
When you say that it concentrated your weight onto your pelvic bones, how do you mean? Like top of the femur where it goes into your hip, upper leg area?
__________________
-----------------------------------------------------------------
'12 R1200GS Adventure
'11 Harley Street Glide - gone and pretty much forgotten
'07 Tuono Factory - gone but not forgotten
TuonoBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 11:07 AM   #29
TuonoBiker OP
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Location: So.Central PA
Oddometer: 712
Ya know what is starting to gripe me is that if I go to an aftermarket seat, I'm losing my seat-to-peg height that I gain by having an "Adventure" model of the GS.

Just looking at Revzilla and I have 25 bucks of zilla cash that would really make the Sargent a very good deal. About $125 less than direct order with Sargent. I think I'm going to order it and spend a night sitting on it in the garage. Only way to tell at this point.

Then blow another another 150 on pivot pegz installed in the low position to get back to my original seat-to-peg height? *sigh* Where does it end!!!???!!!
__________________
-----------------------------------------------------------------
'12 R1200GS Adventure
'11 Harley Street Glide - gone and pretty much forgotten
'07 Tuono Factory - gone but not forgotten
TuonoBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 11:18 AM   #30
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!
 
JimVonBaden's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Location: Alexandria, VA
Oddometer: 49,385
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuonoBiker View Post
Ya know what is starting to gripe me is that if I go to an aftermarket seat, I'm losing my seat-to-peg height that I gain by having an "Adventure" model of the GS.

Just looking at Revzilla and I have 25 bucks of zilla cash that would really make the Sargent a very good deal. About $125 less than direct order with Sargent. I think I'm going to order it and spend a night sitting on it in the garage. Only way to tell at this point.

Then blow another another 150 on pivot pegz installed in the low position to get back to my original seat-to-peg height? *sigh* Where does it end!!!???!!!
Several manufacturers make tall versions of their seats. I would be surprised if Sargent didn't.

Jim
JimVonBaden is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 09:15 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014