User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-22-2013, 12:10 PM   #1
sti_rx7 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 125
FCR 39 impression

I just installed the Sudco FCR39 kit for my '04 GO!!!!. I had an older KLR that I switched the CV carb for a FCR and remember what a huge difference it made in power and response. I thought that it should have a similar effect on my KTM. Was I RIGHT!!!!!!!!!. This thing is incredible I dont have the jetting fully sorted out and it is a bear to start but it just RIPS!!!. It feels like it has more grunt than my Concours 14. Money well spent.
sti_rx7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 09:58 PM   #2
950smr
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
always glad to see positive reports of the fcr's on a 950. im looking at doing 41's on mine soon
950smr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 11:41 PM   #3
tinwelp
Professional Idiot

Oddometer: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by sti_rx7 View Post
I just installed the Sudco FCR39 kit for my '04 GO!!!!. I had an older KLR that I switched the CV carb for a FCR and remember what a huge difference it made in power and response. I thought that it should have a similar effect on my KTM. Was I RIGHT!!!!!!!!!. This thing is incredible I dont have the jetting fully sorted out and it is a bear to start but it just RIPS!!!. It feels like it has more grunt than my Concours 14. Money well spent.
Completely agree. Set up the TPS correctly and play with your idle jets and you'll get the starting sorted out too. A choke is the better solution, but although there are several excellent attempts out there (me included), nothing has worked quite as well as hoped. To be fair though, the weather dictates the amount of attention the subject gets, and as it's mid summer, starting from cold is simple.

I expect you've followed Gregor's thread to get to this point??? If not, check it out: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...6#post21911846

Then go buy Chris's velocity stacks for even more fast... http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=834425

Welcome to the FCR club!

Cheers... Paul
tinwelp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 11:44 PM   #4
mousitsas
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,667
the more i read about fcr the more I like efi
mousitsas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 02:34 AM   #5
tinwelp
Professional Idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by mousitsas View Post
the more i read about fcr the more I like efi

FCR vs. EFI? I think I'd go with EFI for ease of fueling and spark adjustment. They will be quite different animals of course, but if you want to stick with carbs (and a lot of people do, for lots of different reasons), the FCRs are a HUGE improvement over the stock CV carbs.

Cheers... Paul
Old 07-23-2013, 06:36 AM   #6
mousitsas
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,667
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinwelp View Post

FCR vs. EFI? I think I'd go with EFI for ease of fueling and spark adjustment. They will be quite different animals of course, but if you want to stick with carbs (and a lot of people do, for lots of different reasons), the FCRs are a HUGE improvement over the stock CV carbs.

Cheers... Paul
I'm sure you're right on that one.
I just know a few people who got rid of them because they never managed to get around their quirks. On your last sentence....I am wondering if the gap between a well sorted ITG filtered stock carb and the fcr is still that big.
mousitsas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 07:43 AM   #7
tinwelp
Professional Idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by mousitsas View Post
I am wondering if the gap between a well sorted ITG filtered stock carb and the fcr is still that big.
Yes it really is night and day different. Before I bought the FCRs I'd been along the road of improving the stock carbs. A jetting kit and a good filter was first, then lots of fiddling with the jetting to get it absolutely correct. It was much improved compared to when I bought the bike, but it was completely flat and fluffy compared to with the FCRs fitted. Yes they take a little work to set up well, but with perseverance they really make the 950 wake up! The most interesting point is now you can buy the carbs in a true plug-and-play kit from Chris Cosentino. No jet-fiddling or TPS mount-making or throttle return spring-weakening needed. Certainly the best modification I've made so far. I just wish Chris was selling his stuff before I bought mine from Sudco!

As a added bonus, I've even managed to improve my gas mileage considerably, despite fitting a 16T front sprocket. 7l/100km is about the norm now for mixed riding on mountain roads (50/50 mix of pootling and banzai riding). A little better on the autoroute (mostly under 140kph... my licence is hurting!), a little worse on the track. I never managed anything much less than 10l/100km with the CV carbs after setting up.

Cheers... Paul
Old 07-23-2013, 09:36 AM   #8
fast4d
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,092
if I ever get another carbed bike it must have FCRs.

CV carbs are the reason I went with FI.
2000 Kawasaki ZRX1100
2013 KTM SMT 990
fast4d is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 06:42 PM   #9
PowerCell
SE990R

Oddometer: 2,191
Quote:
This thing is incredible...

Annnnnnnnnnnnnd....... you're welcome!

www.powercellperformance.com
PowerCell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 09:49 AM   #10
sti_rx7 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Sorting out

I finally had a chance to fiddle with the air jets and now its a little easier to start but still does not like to idle immediately. Probably have to get a smaller main as the exhaust shoots out flames after letting off full throttle. COOL!!!!!!!!
Old 08-02-2013, 03:30 PM   #11
wpbarlow
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,999
Quote:
...Probably have to get a smaller main as the exhaust shoots out flames after letting off full throttle. COOL!!!!!!!!
Make sure you get some night-time running video before you sort it

Lots of people say that, but videos are scarce.
wpbarlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 04:14 PM   #12
Zuber
Zoob

Oddometer: 1,754
What's the relationship with 'GO!!!!' ownership and the use of punctuation!!!!!!
Old 08-05-2013, 11:44 AM   #13
sti_rx7 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuber View Post
What's the relationship with 'GO!!!!' ownership and the use of punctuation!!!!!!
That's what the stickers on the tanks look like.
Old 08-05-2013, 11:56 AM   #14
triplenickel
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,422
With regards to the cold starting has anyone tried a simple pump primer system like used on older Ski-doo's?

PG007
"Up there where you eat moose-cock you must all be rockets scientists."
triplenickel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 03:15 PM   #15
Lupin 3rd
Raygun Gothic

Oddometer: 482
Don't have a KTM (yet ) but on my 900 Duc, the FCR 41 are the best mod of all!

EFI might be better at cold starts, but once the engine is warm it revs smoothly from 3000RPMs. Fuel mileage is better than with the Mikuni CV (50MPG vs 40) and the torque is just awesome!

Unless it's below freezing, a twist of the idle knob helps with the cold starts and I give the engine a few minutes before giving it the beans, but then it's good.
Lupin 3rd is offline   Reply With Quote