ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-22-2013, 03:41 PM   #1
Unruled OP
950S

Oddometer: 118
Early test Rade's underseat tank

As one of the testers for the underseat tank Rade (fellow inmate) is developing I have the honours of enlightening you with my experience so far. I received the tank last week and found some spare time to mount it today. It's probably fair to say the final version will look much better, this one is just built for toughness and testing purposes :)

The tank came with all the mounting hardware included, and it's absolutely bomb-proof.

It's going to take up pretty much the entire rear bit of the bike, so you do need to do some cutting in the rear fender. It's not a big deal, but you can't get around it. This isn't a how-to so I won't annoy you with mounting instructions, but it was pretty straightforward. It comes with its own petcock and all the tubing, just run it around the bike to places you want it to go.

I've only done 50 miles so far, but it made it safely across a dastardly tricky stretch of deceivingly flat highway! Maybe that isn't a very high bar to set, so now to give thing a decent test for a few days; 2000 mile all-roadtrip starting tomorrow

Unruled screwed with this post 07-22-2013 at 03:47 PM
Unruled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 05:18 PM   #2
scottrnelson
Team Orange

Oddometer: 1,424
Could you give us a hint as to how much fuel it holds?

Do you have to fill it separately (I assume so)?
Old 07-22-2013, 05:23 PM   #3
rossguzzi
990 Adv.

Oddometer: 878
I guess you have to remove the seat to refill. I would love it if there was a way around that because if Im loaded up I ususally have a bag strapped to the seat.
Apart from that I love it.
rossguzzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 06:09 PM   #4
Bowser
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by rossguzzi View Post
I guess you have to remove the seat to refill. I would love it if there was a way around that because if Im loaded up I ususally have a bag strapped to the seat.
Apart from that I love it.
I think that there will be two versions, one under the seat and one that fills from outside.
I know that when I contacted Rade, I said that I would be interested in the under seat version, and that those were the first ones produced.
Bowser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 07:48 PM   #5
kaptinkaos
Just some nOOb

Oddometer: 573
There is one that will fill rear of under the seat, but it will still be under the luggage rack...
'07 F650GS Dakar (Gone to a good home!)
kaptinkaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 01:01 AM   #6
Unruled OP
950S

Oddometer: 118
What with my sideracks and (usually) a pelican on the back, I really don't see how having the filler cap under the luggage rack would be more helpful :P

Cutting the seat and using a taller opening in its place is probably the most convenient option, but that is more invasive than this version. Right, off to France
Old 07-23-2013, 04:44 AM   #7
alongat
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 994
Can I assume that this eliminates the handy storage area where the ABS unit would be on an ABS-equipped bike? I keep my tools and spare bits in that space today...I don't mind the removal of the seat for refuelling as much as I don't use soft luggage on the pillion seat.
And how can this be? For he is the Kwisatz Haderach!
alongat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 06:24 AM   #8
Zombie025
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by alongat View Post
Can I assume that this eliminates the handy storage area where the ABS unit would be on an ABS-equipped bike?
yes
Zombie025 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 07:37 AM   #9
alongat
Studly Adventurer

Damn-it, I don't want to lose that spot. Why can't anyone produce something like these for less than 12,300 South African Rand (approx. $1,230 USD)? This solution seems ideal for me (sorry Rade, I'm not trying to take anything away from your genius underseat tank idea -it's simple and fantastic, just not for me).

http://www.omegafibre.net/ktm-990-carbon-fibre-extras/

I guess I'm just searching for a unicorn. I don't want Safari/Aqualine tanks, I don't want a rear side tank (CJ or others) because they're not compatable with my Jesse racks and these two tanks from South Africa don't need separate venting though I can't figure out how they fill...

All I want is an extra 8-10 liters of fuel.
Old 07-24-2013, 04:29 AM   #10
Sharing Roads
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
Quote:
Damn-it, I don't want to lose that spot. Why can't anyone produce something like these for less than 12,300 South African Rand (approx. $1,230 USD)? This solution seems ideal for me (sorry Rade, I'm not trying to take anything away from your genius underseat tank idea -it's simple and fantastic, just not for me).

I guess I'm just searching for a unicorn. I don't want Safari/Aqualine tanks, I don't want a rear side tank (CJ or others) because they're not compatable with my Jesse racks and these two tanks from South Africa don't need separate venting though I can't figure out how they fill...

Being from SA, there is the odd couple off these tanks floating around from time to time at around R8000,00 a set ($800,00).
That said, even being here there is not that many people buying them as they are expensive to carry only 8 litres extra. Most guys here that do serious Adventure Riding want the weight under them( which is the reason I am interested in Rades version) and it only takes 1 litre less, not even from what I understand) I would rather remove carbon canisters and store tubes and some lighter tools in the fairing.

As to your comment about filling them. Go to the link you provided. The area with 6 pics, look at the middle top pic. You can see 2 silver pieces almost on the top of the tanks. That be the filler caps.
Sharing Roads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 06:51 AM   #11
Jaimoto
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,225
Quote:

Here is the link to Vendors where these tanks were introduced. Not a very successful product but I agree with you, to me this is one the best and least intrusive ideas to carry extra fuel.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=236166

On the top of my list however are Pete's tanks, they are a masterpiece.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=611461

2007 KTM 990 Adventure
2012 Yamaha BWs 125
Jaimoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 07:22 AM   #12
alongat
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goti View Post
Here is the link to Vendors where these tanks were introduced. Not a very successful product but I agree with you, to me this is one the best and least intrusive ideas to carry extra fuel.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=236166

On the top of my list however are Pete's tanks, they are a masterpiece.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=611461
I love Pete's tanks but they don't suit what I need. I don't have a rally exhaust, I need to retain my pillion pegs and my Jesse luggage racks...

Like I said, I seem to be searching for Unicorns :)
Old 07-24-2013, 12:39 PM   #13
Bowser
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 161
Quote:

best option is a GIT bash plate, Its what I use, it has a tool compartment at the front, I replaced the bolts that hold it in place with a pair of 8mm wing bolts so I need no tools to drop the bash plate and can get to the tools, I use a plastic pouch with a waterproof zip to put the tools in and it works just fine. I am happy to put up with the tools in the bash plate for the additional 2 gallons of fuel.

Bowser is offline   Reply With Quote