Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-23-2013, 07:30 AM   #16
LaurelPerryOnLand
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,258
Guidance from other knowledgeable companies...

Just ask those folks at Otis Elevator Company:

They promise you the elevator but give you the shaft!

Good enough for me!
LaurelPerryOnLand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 07:50 AM   #17
txbear55
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 211
Some may argue, but high quality, modern o-ring chains need minimal maintenance. They are internally lubed (O-rings keep lube in and dirt out). May want to spray a little WD 40 for external rust prevention, but no need for a goopy mess. I have 5k miles on my chain...sprockets look fine, no binding of links, etc. No lube used yet and I expect to change at 15K miles. YMMV
txbear55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 08:08 AM   #18
Twinz
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 539
All my bikes prior to my aprilia were shafties...love to just forget about the back end of the bike! Although my Futura's chain needs to be cleaned occasionally (but more often on a trip), I like knowing that my bike is in really good shape...and that it's lighter and faster than your shafty beemers! I also have to say that in over 150k miles on my beemers, I never had to do anything to my final drive whereas, every 15k miles or so I have to spend $200 on sprockets and a chain - and install them requiring the one-time expense of a chain tool. So a chain drive is more expensive and requires more attention than a shaft rear end (maybe not the new BMW ones though!)...I must be a glutton for punishment but I'm willing to take that on for the wonderful bike that I have (BMW dropped the ball on the follow-up to the R1150RS...that ST is butt ugly and where is its replacement!?).
'94 R1100RS, '84 R100CS, '76 R75/6 (S fairing)
'80 Guzzi V50 II, '73 Guzzi V7 Sport
Twinz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 08:09 AM   #19
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,046
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle B View Post
Properly lubed chains make no mess! Yes I own a chain drive bike. It has it's place.
I must never have learned how to do it then. I can't get away from dirty hands, lube on the ground, and when riding lube on the wheel.

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 08:16 AM   #20
Paulvt1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,441
It depends on the chain. Had 4 shaft drive bikes before my last chain drive bike - Multi 12 - and the chain on that was dire. Made from old Fiat X19's. No matter what i tried i couldn't keep the thing from rusting.
Now back on a shaftie and loving the lack of hassle.
Paulvt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 08:19 AM   #21
Twinz
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
I must never have learned how to do it then. I can't get away from dirty hands, lube on the ground, and when riding lube on the wheel.

Jim
Times have changed, Jim. A Grease Ninja (http://www.greaseninja.com/) and dry teflon lube, along with 5 minutes, are all that are necessary to maintain that chain...okay, you may want to put a piece of newspaper under the chain while lubing!
Old 07-23-2013, 08:23 AM   #22
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinz View Post
Times have changed, Jim. A Grease Ninja (http://www.greaseninja.com/) and dry teflon lube, along with 5 minutes, are all that are necessary to maintain that chain...okay, you may want to put a piece of newspaper under the chain while lubing!
How do you clean the old off with that? Still have to do that, right?

Jim
Old 07-23-2013, 09:17 AM   #23
jadoca
Adventurer

Oddometer: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by txbear55 View Post
Some may argue, but high quality, modern o-ring chains need minimal maintenance. They are internally lubed (O-rings keep lube in and dirt out). May want to spray a little WD 40 for external rust prevention, but no need for a goopy mess. I have 5k miles on my chain...sprockets look fine, no binding of links, etc. No lube used yet and I expect to change at 15K miles. YMMV

Exactly right....!! Chain lube is totally
unnecessary. Nothing more than marketing hype at its finest....
jadoca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 09:29 AM   #24
Twinz
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
How do you clean the old off with that? Still have to do that, right?

Jim
So, once or twice a season, I put on rubber gloves, soak a rag in kerosene, and wipe the chain clean. Yup, a little messy and takes 10 minutes...I'm willing to spend 20 minutes a season to clean and 5 minutes every 750 miles to lube my chain (makes me feel good, tho txbear55 says it's unnecessary)!
Old 07-23-2013, 09:39 AM   #25
lkchris
Albuquerque

Oddometer: 970
In the early 20th century there were chain-drive cars and trucks. Not any more.

It was the fairly early 20th century that BMW got started with driveshaft-equipped motorcycles.

Chains are there only be cause they're cheap.

I had a Ducati once with a gear-driven valve train. That's gone away mostly on cost considerations, too. Pretty expensive to maintain I suppose--I know I got rid of that bike soon after buying the service manual and reading about all the shimming.
lkchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 09:42 AM   #26
txbear55
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 211
Of course my chain will probably snap and send me cartwheeling down the road since I said that!
txbear55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 09:50 AM   #27
CanadianX
Oh!? That is deep.

Oddometer: 1,221
Have my shafty and yup it's nice to not have a chain to maintain but just nice not OMFG this rocks! Because the few minutes it takes to lube, clean and adjust the chain as required isn't much and really and the KTM sees hard duty so having some time to inspect the bike for wear and tear is good.

If you lube after the ride and from on top of the lower chain, then prior to the next ride give it a wipe you won't flng lube everywhere. I use a old piece of cardboard as a back spash when I spray the chain so there is no overspray on the bike.
CanadianX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 09:52 AM   #28
GrouchyGeezer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 470
Until I read this thread I never realized that being neat with chain lube was such a problem.

I had to check that I was still in the GS forum. GS riders talking about problems of being neat. Wait, let me check again....... yep, GS forum.

Anyhow, my only issue with chain drives is that I could get fairly anal about ensuring alignment between the front and rear wheels after a chain adjustment. I had made a fixture out of 2 X 4s that would break down and reassemble around the bike so i could measure alignment. Pretty ridiculous now that I look back.

The shaft drive is cool, but was not a selling point for me. I do not see chain drive or shaft drive as one being better than the other, just different.
GrouchyGeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 10:56 AM   #29
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinz View Post
So, once or twice a season, I put on rubber gloves, soak a rag in kerosene, and wipe the chain clean. Yup, a little messy and takes 10 minutes...I'm willing to spend 20 minutes a season to clean and 5 minutes every 750 miles to lube my chain (makes me feel good, tho txbear55 says it's unnecessary)!
OK, so this isn't mess free afterall.

I've owned many chain driven bikes, still do, and never figured out how to be mess free. Hell, my bicycle chains are not mess free.

Jim
Old 07-23-2013, 11:20 AM   #30
Anorak
Woolf Barnato

Oddometer: 32,212
Quote:
Originally Posted by txbear55 View Post
Of course my chain will probably snap and send me cartwheeling down the road since I said that!
The only contemporary chain drive motorcycle with chain breakage issues has been the F800GS.

"they live off the carrion of our mutual distrust and bribe us with symbols that equate hatred with manhood."

"I mean at the end of the day, I was addicted to Starting Fluid for Christ's sake!"

"Yeah, that guy sure is terrible at touching moms"
Anorak is offline   Reply With Quote