ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West – California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-23-2013, 08:27 AM   #1
some call me...tim OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 272
Routes/destinations to be seen in NorCal?

Hi guys, my friend and I are going to be taking a trip soon, starting in Seattle and heading to Santa Barbara. We're planning on staying with friends/relatives from the Bay Area south, but most everything above that is a blank slate. My friend has only briefly seen redwoods before, and it's been many years since I've gotten so see them up close and personal, so definitely some time in the big trees is high on our priority list. I imagine we'll likely go through places like Avenue of the Giants, but would also like to check out some stuff that's a little more off the beaten path. We're also looking for fun roads and good campgrounds--or even better, good guerilla camping. We'll probably spend 2-3 days making our way through there to the Bay. Any suggestions of where to go? Or, for that matter, where to avoid?
some call me...tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 08:45 AM   #2
speedmonkey7
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 336
Oh boy where to begin!! Are you on street bikes or dual sports? Either way, there are a crap load of amazing roads! There is a thread here called California adventure rider or some such that is all ride reports but more for ds bikes. Let me know which you are on and I can send you some routes through Google maps. I'm sure there are some roads I don't know in N Cal but not many. :

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using Tapatalk 2

"Ride with caution . And be thankful cagers are slightly more predictable than marsupials."
-XRman (fellow inmate)
speedmonkey7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 08:53 AM   #3
some call me...tim OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmonkey7 View Post
Oh boy where to begin!! Are you on street bikes or dual sports? Either way, there are a crap load of amazing roads! There is a thread here called California adventure rider or some such that is all ride reports but more for ds bikes. Let me know which you are on and I can send you some routes through Google maps. I'm sure there are some roads I don't know in N Cal but not many. :

Ah yeah, I should have added that. I'm on a Tiger 800 XC and he's on a FZ6R. We'll mainly be staying on asphalt, but are OK with doing some light off pavement stuff. I know there's lots to see in CA and we could easily spend a couple weeks in NorCal by itself, but we'll have to keep something of a pace up, so we can't get TOO distracted.
Old 07-23-2013, 10:05 AM   #4
sparkymcgee
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 328
Definitely drive the Avenue of the Giants.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avenue_of_the_Giants
Old 07-23-2013, 11:01 AM   #5
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer: 6,657
I don't know how far off the coast you want to get, but if you wanted to see the Sierra I would suggest including Hwy 4. You can either make a loop with Hwy 88 or Hwy 108, or just do an up and back. Hwy 4 (Ebbets Pass) has a lot of good stuff. You could catch a concert at Ironstone Vineyards, have a beer at Snowshoe Brewery in Arnold, camp at Lake Alpine/Utica Reservoir/Union Reservoir, see the Giant Sequoias at Calaveras Big Trees State Park, and camp along the Walker River. It is only one lane at the top, because its the least traveled of the passes.

Speaking of beer...Bear Republic in Healdsburg, Lagunitas in Petaluma (cheap hotel 2 doors down), Auburn Ale House in Auburn...all good choices.

I think some of the best roads are the east-west secondary highways just north of the Napa and Sonoma valleys. Basically anything south of Geyserville, from Drake's Bay Oytser Company to Lake Berryessa. That area is worth a whole day, with an evening listening to live music at Lagunitas Brewery.
High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 12:47 PM   #6
RocknTroll
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 744
Waldo/Happy Camp/Greyback Rd, Near Cave Junction OR. to 96 to Salmon Rd (slow going but paved) to hiway 3, South on 3 to 36 then West to hiway 1. Or stay on 96 to 299 to Arcata Eureka.
Samoa Cookhouse for breakfast aint a bad way to start the day.
Matole Rd from Ferndale to Weott will put you right in the Humbolt Redwoods park on 101

"Stay smart. Don't put your stupid hat on at this point in time... " Gov. Pat McCrory
RocknTroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 02:11 AM   #7
speedmonkey7
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocknTroll View Post
Waldo/Happy Camp/Greyback Rd, Near Cave Junction OR. to 96 to Salmon Rd (slow going but paved) to hiway 3, South on 3 to 36 then West to hiway 1. Or stay on 96 to 299 to Arcata Eureka.
Matole Rd from Ferndale to Weott will put you right in the Humbolt Redwoods park on 101
+1 on that Samoa cookhouse is an excellent way to start the day!

"Ride with caution . And be thankful cagers are slightly more predictable than marsupials."
-XRman (fellow inmate)
Old 07-24-2013, 02:16 AM   #8
speedmonkey7
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Country Herb View Post
I don't know how far off the coast you want to get, but if you wanted to see the Sierra I would suggest including Hwy 4. You can either make a loop with Hwy 88 or Hwy 108, or just do an up and back. Hwy 4 (Ebbets Pass) has a lot of good stuff. You could catch a concert at Ironstone Vineyards, have a beer at Snowshoe Brewery in Arnold, camp at Lake Alpine/Utica Reservoir/Union Reservoir, see the Giant Sequoias at Calaveras Big Trees State Park, and camp along the Walker River. It is only one lane at the top, because its the least traveled of the passes.

Speaking of beer...Bear Republic in Healdsburg, Lagunitas in Petaluma (cheap hotel 2 doors down), Auburn Ale House in Auburn...all good choices.

I think some of the best roads are the east-west secondary highways just north of the Napa and Sonoma valleys. Basically anything south of Geyserville, from Drake's Bay Oytser Company to Lake Berryessa. That area is worth a whole day, with an evening listening to live music at Lagunitas Brewery.
Yes to all of that. That entire section of California is just awesome especially way up on hwy 4. 88 is pretty great too. You could even drop into Lassen then cut through on 89 to Truckee around Lake Tahoe and into the passes that way.

-XRman (fellow inmate)
Old 07-24-2013, 07:29 AM   #9
some call me...tim OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Country Herb View Post

We'll probably be staying towards the coast side of things on the way down, but I very well may come through the Sierras on the way back up. I'll definitely keep those suggestions in mind--and certainly wouldn't mind stopping by Lagunitas, they're one of my favorite breweries. What are the night time temps like in the mountains this time of year?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocknTroll
Matole Rd from Ferndale to Weott will put you right in the Humbolt Redwoods park on 101.
Hah! I'm actually somewhat familiar with that area. I once spent a long weekend in the vibrant city of Petrolia, about 10-11 years ago. Memories are somewhat fuzzy, but I do recall it being gorgeous out there.
Old 07-24-2013, 07:37 AM   #10
Garbage Marc
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
I just spent 4 days in the area last week and would add FS 1 from Mad River on 36 to just west of Willow Creek on 299. It's paved all the way across so the FZ shouldn't have a problem with it. Butler's Northern California map is very good too.
Garbage Marc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 08:10 AM   #11
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer: 6,657
Quote:
Originally Posted by some call me...tim View Post
What are the night time temps like in the mountains this time of year?
High 40's. You will probably want to add a warm layer across the top of the high passes.
High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 08:51 AM   #12
TwilightZone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,694
>"I just spent 4 days in the area last week and would add FS 1 from Mad River on 36 to just west of Willow Creek on 299."

Yes, everyone should ride FS1... gorgeous.

Turn South on Berry Summit (hwy 299). (Berry summit is the second summit in from the coast). Just follow the pavement ! If you take the left fork on the end puts you at South Fork Mth summit on 36... right puts you on 36 down at Mad River.

If you ride south to north, turn north at South Fork Mtn summit. Follow the pavement.

Salmon River road is great too. IMHO: Must ride.
Turn east off Hwy 96 at Somes Bar... go to Forks of the Salmon and take the North Fork road to Sawyers Bar and Etna. No gas on Salmon River road, so fill up in Happycamp or Orleans.

Hmmm... maybe route?

199 to Waldo Road (near O'Brien Orygun), goes to Happy Camp - Hwy 96
Hwy 96 south to Somes Bar, take the Salmon River road.
Etna - Hwy 3 south to Weaverville,
At Weaverville, take Hwy 299 east, 10 miles turn on Hwy 3 to Hayfork.
Go thru Hayfork to hwy 36 west.
36 to South Fork Mtn road (summit) to FS1... to Hwy 299.
299 west to Arcata/Eureka.
101 South - Fernbridge exit to Ferndale.
Ferndale ride to the end of 'main street', turn west.
1 block turn south on Wildcat (Petrolia road).
Petrolia road to Honeydew.
Left turn in Honeydew (across the bridge).
Ends up start of Avenue of the Giants on 101.
Old 07-24-2013, 09:19 AM   #13
Hookalatch
Born Under Bad Sign

Oddometer: 318
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwilightZone View Post
>
Yes, everyone should ride FS1... gorgeous.

Turn South on Berry Summit (hwy 299). (Berry summit is the second summit in from the coast). Just follow the pavement ! If you take the left fork on the end puts you at South Fork Mth summit on 36... right puts you on 36 down at Mad River.
Hey Twilight Zone- I hit FS1 out of Mad River on a whim (had no maps and have no GPS) and thought I was taking a road to Hyampom but took the left fork you describe above and ended up back at South Fork on 36. Where did I miss the road to Hyampom? Did I not go far enough on FS1?

Chuck
Hookalatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 09:55 AM   #14
some call me...tim OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwilightZone View Post

Hmmm... maybe route?

199 to Waldo Road (near O'Brien Orygun), goes to Happy Camp - Hwy 96
Hwy 96 south to Somes Bar, take the Salmon River road.
Etna - Hwy 3 south to Weaverville,
At Weaverville, take Hwy 299 east, 10 miles turn on Hwy 3 to Hayfork.
Go thru Hayfork to hwy 36 west.
36 to South Fork Mtn road (summit) to FS1... to Hwy 299.
299 west to Arcata/Eureka.
101 South - Fernbridge exit to Ferndale.
Ferndale ride to the end of 'main street', turn west.
1 block turn south on Wildcat (Petrolia road).
Petrolia road to Honeydew.
Left turn in Honeydew (across the bridge).
Ends up start of Avenue of the Giants on 101.
Phew, that looks like an epic route indeed. I followed it via Google Maps and things got a little iffy at the South Fork Mtn Rd -> FS 1 section. I take it it's pretty straightforward in real life? Also, it seems like that would probably take up the better part of a riding day?
Old 07-24-2013, 04:11 PM   #15
DowDuer
!rn00b-aK

Oddometer: 214
From Ferndale you can go to Mattole Beach and camp there. Do not count on finding stealth spots. A lot of these roads are fenced on both sides and the parts that are not are too step to camp in. If you want to stealth camp you well probably need to go into the national forests that are inland. .

Highway 36 is a motorcycle road, 299 is not.

There its not a lot of tent camping near Eureka and Arcata and what there is costs $35.

Fern canyon in the Prarie Creek Redwoods is my favorite place on the coast. Agate Beach is also near, I think there are tide pools there along with the beach.

Remember to carry a large cowbell around to keep Sasquatches from invading your camp... This is an under reported problem.
DowDuer is offline   Reply With Quote