ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-25-2013, 08:59 AM   #16
TwilightZone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,683
>"Hey Twilight Zone- I hit FS1 out of Mad River on a whim (had no maps and have no GPS) and thought I was taking a road to Hyampom but took the left fork you describe above and ended up back at South Fork on 36. Where did I miss the road to Hyampom? Did I not go far enough on FS1?"

Yes, you needed to go a little further (north) on FH1.

Pelletrau Ridge road is a bit north of the fork.
The road is somewhat 'unmarked' on the top end.

What is there... look for a pretty substantial roadsign on the west side of FH1. Across from the sign, Pelletreau ridge road is dirt on the top... takes off on a NW tangent to the FS1. Winds back and forth across the mountain.

There used to be some 'Hyampom" paint writing on the roadway. Next time I go up there I'll take a can of paint and renew it.

Somewhere on this computer, I have a photo of the intersection.
Will post here if I find the damm thing.
Old 07-25-2013, 09:06 AM   #17
TwilightZone
Beastly Adventurer

>"South Fork Mtn Rd -> FS 1 section. I take it it's pretty straightforward in real life?"

Yes, FH1 is a paved road that takes off to the north of the South Fork summit. It is the ONLY paved road there... stay on the main pavement and it will deposit you on 299. (and vice versa).

>"Also, it seems like that would probably take up the better part of a riding day? "

Yes indeed... that is a good ride.
Old 07-25-2013, 09:59 AM   #18
Hookalatch
Born Under Bad Sign

Oddometer: 318
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwilightZone View Post
>"South Fork Mtn Rd -> FS 1 section. I take it it's pretty straightforward in real life?"

Yes, FH1 is a paved road that takes off to the north of the South Fork summit. It is the ONLY paved road there... stay on the main pavement and it will deposit you on 299. (and vice versa).

>"Also, it seems like that would probably take up the better part of a riding day? "

Yes indeed... that is a good ride.
This ride Twilightzone posted a good ride?

199 to Waldo Road (near O'Brien Orygun), goes to Happy Camp - Hwy 96
Hwy 96 south to Somes Bar, take the Salmon River road.
Etna - Hwy 3 south to Weaverville,
At Weaverville, take Hwy 299 east, 10 miles turn on Hwy 3 to Hayfork.
Go thru Hayfork to hwy 36 west.
36 to South Fork Mtn road (summit) to FS1... to Hwy 299.
299 west to Arcata/Eureka.
101 South - Fernbridge exit to Ferndale.
Ferndale ride to the end of 'main street', turn west.
1 block turn south on Wildcat (Petrolia road).
Petrolia road to Honeydew.
Left turn in Honeydew (across the bridge).
Ends up start of Avenue of the Giants on 101.

That's not a good ride, that is a fantastic, world class ride. Providing you like roads that seems like they were made for motorcycles, have little to no traffic for the most part, and travel through very beautiful and scenic areas. I hope you have time to sample it.

Chuck
Hookalatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 10:23 AM   #19
oobus
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 198
Dow and I did the Ferndale to Honeydew ride two weekends ago, yes, epic road, much of the landscape looks like it is still spring (blooming wildflowers, green and lush).
The coast was a little cool in the morning, but just a stunning beautiful ride!
oobus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 06:37 AM   #20
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,620
These are all great roads,there are more though.

If your in the mood to play sportbiker a little the road from Leggett to 1 is not to be missed,then there's Mountain view road from Manchester on the coast to Boonville,then 257 out of Boonville to 101 and south to Hopland,take 175 out of Hopland for a thrill ride,then 29 can be followed towards Santa Rosa for lunch,all excellent twisty up and down swoopy roads.

Stewarts Point/Skaggs road is a classic......but little known Tin Barn to Kings Ridge and into Cazaderos is like a super moto road through the Redwoods and Tin Barn takes off to the right a little ways inland on Stewarts Point.

Riding all of 36 is just fun,huge variety of pavement types and corners and many dirt roads taking off. Mad River on 36 has a burger joint,its a trailer with a roof over it,food is good,friendly people,sometimes there is gas there. Van Duzen road takes off close to Mad River,it gets you out in the wilderness quickly with many options off of it.

But then hiway 1 itself is why people fly in from all over the world just to ride/drive and gawk and take pictures.

Nor Cal is spectacular,were spoiled living here.
Old 07-27-2013, 06:44 AM   #21
Foot dragger
singletracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by oobus View Post
Dow and I did the Ferndale to Honeydew ride two weekends ago, yes, epic road, much of the landscape looks like it is still spring (blooming wildflowers, green and lush).
The coast was a little cool in the morning, but just a stunning beautiful ride!
Ive done Ferndale/ave of giants/unknown coast and back up to Ferndale............on a bicycle,about 5 times.

Amazingly scenic and really steep at times,we stayed at the Mattole Grange hall,organized ride so camping gear and food/beer were trucked in.
I plan on doing it again this sep.

You can wheelie every tight switchback going up to Ferndale on a motorbike,barely make it up on the pedal bike.
Old 07-27-2013, 08:21 AM   #22
some call me...tim OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot dragger View Post
Ive done Ferndale/ave of giants/unknown coast and back up to Ferndale............on a bicycle,about 5 times.

Amazingly scenic and really steep at times,we stayed at the Mattole Grange hall,organized ride so camping gear and food/beer were trucked in.
I plan on doing it again this sep.

You can wheelie every tight switchback going up to Ferndale on a motorbike,barely make it up on the pedal bike.
Man, this is starting to feel very small world-esque here. The aforementioned weekend spent in Petrolia, the house I was staying in was all of a couple hundred yards from the Grange Hall. We wandered in for a pancake breakfast one morning, trying to counteract the numerous drinks from the night before. We stuck out like a sore thumb as out-of-towners amongst all the cowboy hats, but we were welcomed all the same.

There sure are plenty of good roads to pick from. We'll have to be choosy though, we only have so much time to work with. I'm sure we'll be hitting Hwy 1 at some point along the trip, but doubt we'll put TOO many miles on it. Being as famous as it is, my memories of driving on it involved lots of slow moving RVs and the like.
some call me...tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 06:47 PM   #23
scottmac
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,495
HWY 1 south of Camel through Big Sur to San Simeon.

Take a side trip up Nacamiento Fergesun Rd. for some amazing
views and some great twisty fun.
scottmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 09:52 AM   #24
some call me...tim OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Just a few days away from departure now, looking forward to checking out some of these roads you guys have recommended!

Does anyone know if campfire bans are in effect? I know they are up here--a quick search shows bans in San Bernadino, but the rest of CA looks OK?
Old 08-06-2013, 11:55 AM   #25
scottmac
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,495
Quote:
Originally Posted by some call me...tim View Post
Just a few days away from departure now, looking forward to checking out some of these roads you guys have recommended!

Does anyone know if campfire bans are in effect? I know they are up here--a quick search shows bans in San Bernadino, but the rest of CA looks OK?

Level IV restrictions currently in place for the Los Padres Ntl forest (Big
Sur). No campfires allowed even in designated campfire use campsites. No
portable stoves allowed outside of designated campfire use campsites.

http://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/lpnf/h...telprdb5401877
scottmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 12:17 PM   #26
Cpt. Ron
Advrider #128

Oddometer: 3,005
Fire closures

And watch out if you're going to be riding in the Forks of Salmon area. There are a couple of fires in the area that now have closed roads. So you can't get go between Highway 96 and Etna/Callahan.

Check out here for all of the federally handled fires:
http://inciweb.org/state/5/

And another handy fire map:
http://www.fire.ca.gov/general/firemaps.php

You'll have to check with each national forest to find out about their fire restrictions.

"I don't know what you do, but I know what I do, and I don't do that." --Uncle Doug, R.I.P.
"Without the possibility of death, adventure is not possible"--Reinhold Messner
Cpt. Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 06:36 AM   #27
some call me...tim OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Hey guys, I don't know if anyone will see this in time, but we should be crossing over into CA today. Quick question, on the FS1 part, what road do you take from 299 if you want to go N->S? Is it still south fork mtn road from that side ? We were trying to follow asphalt on Google maps last night and saw Friday ridge road, dunno if that's something we want though?
Old 08-09-2013, 06:56 AM   #28
Foot dragger
singletracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by some call me...tim View Post
Hey guys, I don't know if anyone will see this in time, but we should be crossing over into CA today. Quick question, on the FS1 part, what road do you take from 299 if you want to go N->S? Is it still south fork mtn road from that side ? We were trying to follow asphalt on Google maps last night and saw Friday ridge road, dunno if that's something we want though?
FS1 is inland 10 miles or so from Willow Creek on 299,theres a big (brown?) cal trans maintenence building and the road snakes in there,its a little hard to see if your going by at a good clip.
Im not sure what the signs say on that end of the road,the greenery is thick as I remember.
Old 08-09-2013, 07:53 AM   #29
Hookalatch
Born Under Bad Sign

Oddometer: 318
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot dragger View Post
FS1 is inland 10 miles or so from Willow Creek on 299,theres a big (brown?) cal trans maintenence building and the road snakes in there,its a little hard to see if your going by at a good clip.
Im not sure what the signs say on that end of the road,the greenery is thick as I remember.
Probably too late for them to see but it is Titlow Road. Easier for me to remember now that my wife is a bit older.

Chuck
Hookalatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 08:22 AM   #30
TwilightZone
Beastly Adventurer

East on 299. Two summits.
1st summit is Lord Ellis... 2nd summit is Berry Summit.
Paved road to the right at Berry summit.
Stay on the pavement !