ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-07-2013, 03:20 PM   #31
dirty_t
Gnarly Adventurer
 
dirty_t's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: NorCal
Oddometer: 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbage Marc View Post
I just spent 4 days in the area last week and would add FS 1 from Mad River on 36 to just west of Willow Creek on 299. It's paved all the way across so the FZ shouldn't have a problem with it. Butler's Northern California map is very good too.
Anyone know where FS 1 *is*?? I don't have GPS - not seeing anything on Gmaps for this particular road. Would love to check it out - heading up there this Thursday - two-up, so looking for nice paved routes. Thanks!
dirty_t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 08:09 PM   #32
lvscrvs
Studly Adventurer
 
lvscrvs's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: norcal
Oddometer: 614
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirty_t View Post
Anyone know where FS 1 *is*?? I don't have GPS - not seeing anything on Gmaps for this particular road. Would love to check it out - heading up there this Thursday - two-up, so looking for nice paved routes. Thanks!
On Google Maps look for Forest Service Road 1 just east of Mad River. It starts up the ridge next to the salmon colored church (you can see that on Google Satellite view). Alternately you can go up South Fork Mt which is about 7 miles east of Mad River at the top of a rise. It is paved, but it is a bit pot-holed and rough in places.

All-in-all, a nice, remote ridge run if that's what you're looking for.
__________________
Ginormous Beasts go to the Eastside

Tiger 955i / Yamaha WR250R < Tiger 955i / DRZ400S / R1150GS < FJR1300 < DL1000 < BMW R1100RS < Ducati ST4 < DL650 zzzzz 30+ years zzzzz 125 Honda Elsinore < Suzuki TM250 < Yamaha 90 Enduro < Taco
lvscrvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 09:13 AM   #33
dirty_t
Gnarly Adventurer
 
dirty_t's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: NorCal
Oddometer: 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvscrvs View Post
On Google Maps look for Forest Service Road 1 just east of Mad River. It starts up the ridge next to the salmon colored church (you can see that on Google Satellite view). Alternately you can go up South Fork Mt which is about 7 miles east of Mad River at the top of a rise. It is paved, but it is a bit pot-holed and rough in places.

All-in-all, a nice, remote ridge run if that's what you're looking for.
Thanks. Talked to USFS ranger there and they said it's easy to follow - just stay on the paved road and don't turn - all the way up to 299 near Willow Creek. I'm booked into the Ruth Lake resort tomorrow night - should be a fun ride!

Thanks for all the help.
dirty_t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 12:43 PM   #34
lvscrvs
Studly Adventurer
 
lvscrvs's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: norcal
Oddometer: 614
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirty_t View Post
Thanks. Talked to USFS ranger there and they said it's easy to follow - just stay on the paved road and don't turn - all the way up to 299 near Willow Creek. I'm booked into the Ruth Lake resort tomorrow night - should be a fun ride!

Thanks for all the help.
Happy to help.

If it's the same Ruth Lake Resort we stayed at a couple of years ago (small motel behind the restaurant/bar and store) don't expect to be impressed. I think we paid $80+tax for the room that should have cost $40. Hopefully they have improved things since then. Let us know.

Unfortunately, the only other motels that I know of near that area are in either Fortuna or Weaverville (both of which have excellent, relatively inexpensive choices btw).
__________________
Ginormous Beasts go to the Eastside

Tiger 955i / Yamaha WR250R < Tiger 955i / DRZ400S / R1150GS < FJR1300 < DL1000 < BMW R1100RS < Ducati ST4 < DL650 zzzzz 30+ years zzzzz 125 Honda Elsinore < Suzuki TM250 < Yamaha 90 Enduro < Taco
lvscrvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 07:09 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014