User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-23-2013, 11:36 AM   #1
Lucian OP
n00b

Oddometer: 4
2004 R1200GS loos of power on pulling the gas harder

Hi, I come with a problem that came out of the sudden to my bike. If you dont understand the issue form my explanations, please ask for clarifications; I suck at technical terms (not so good with general english either :) ).

Here are the symptoms:
Bike starts nice and smooth, but after I start riding, on pulling the gas it behaves normal only till ~3000RPM. After that it looses the power almost like if was out of gas. From time to time I can also notice some gas explosions in the exhaust pipe.
If I keep the gas opened it maybe behave something like: 2 seconds no power, 1 second power, 1 no power, 3 sec power etc.

Another behavior is that if I close the gas but this time I open in very very slowly, it doesnt loose power till about 4500 - 4800RPM, but thats about it, after this the same power loss is experienced.

Any advice is appreciated
Lucian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 11:55 AM   #2
GrouchyGeezer
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 694
Don't know specifically about the '04 GS, but these symptoms in most internal combustion engines point to the fuel filter as a first look-see. #2 would be the rest of the fuel delivery system. #3 spark plugs, #4 ignition system. Not necessarly in that order, but you get the idea.

Have fun and good luck.
GrouchyGeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 12:36 PM   #3
Mike Ryder
Kriegerkuh

Oddometer: 907
might be splitting hose inside gas tank. and/or fuel filter, i would change the filter anyway.

http://www.google.ca/search?client=s...w=1592&bih=999
Old 07-23-2013, 01:15 PM   #4
roger 04 rt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Ryder View Post
might be splitting hose inside gas tank. and/or fuel filter, i would change the filter anyway.

http://www.google.ca/search?client=s...w=1592&bih=999
+1

When you open the gas quickly the injectors stay open longer than when you increase slowly. My guess would be split hoses in the tank or filter.

You can confirm this by opening the return QD, and attaching a female QD and hose to the return coming from the fuel pressure regulator. While idling there should be 2 liters per minute flowing. Make sure that the check valve is pressed in bedore you start if you try this because if you don't the pressure in the tank lines will go to almost 100psi.
roger 04 rt is online now   Reply With Quote