Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > Airheads
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-30-2013, 04:50 AM   #61
Bill Harris
Confirmed Curmudgeon

Oddometer: 6,917
And you are doing a good job of that. Please, continue. Just ignore him-- for whatever secret agenda he has, he's wanting to derail this thread. Don't let that happen.

--Bill
Old 07-30-2013, 05:09 AM   #62
beemerphile OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,688
Agree completely Bill, but as the OP I have gotten the input that I needed to make a decision. I plan to acquire a set of DellOrto PHM 38mm NS/D carbs with cables and hardware from the BMW R90S catalog. It seems to me that the thread should be closed.
beemerphile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 08:33 AM   #63
supershaft
because I can

Oddometer: 8,396
Quote:
Originally Posted by RGregor View Post
To whom it may concern,

I don't understand what you are here for.

I wanted to discuss carbs.

Best regards,

RG
That comment was a RESPONSE to Dr.t's personal attack on me. Other than the responses to personal comments about me from you guys, I have been on topic. Once again, it's all right here in black and white.
supershaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 01:17 AM   #64
RGregor
User Awaiting Email Confirmation

Oddometer: 437
Quote:
Originally Posted by beemerphile View Post
Agree completely Bill, but as the OP I have gotten the input that I needed to make a decision. I plan to acquire a set of DellOrto PHM 38mm NS/D carbs with cables and hardware from the BMW R90S catalog. It seems to me that the thread should be closed.
Hello beemerphile,

just a few additional infos/ideas.
- As the NS/D carbs are not specifically for BMWs make sure the correct slide is mounted (60/5).
- Regarding the Guzzi rubbers, I'm not a 100% sure they will fit the 38mm Dells. They should as the "big" Dells (38mm - 41mm) are based on the same casting.
- Try to find someone to make you some new spigots as you will have a step from 38mm to 44mm where the air enters the spigot.

And finally, good luck with your project.

Best regards

RG
RGregor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 02:22 AM   #65
RGregor

Still about enemies

Hello!

Quote:
Originally Posted by supershaft View Post
That comment was a RESPONSE to Dr.t's personal attack on me. Other than the responses to personal comments about me from you guys, I have been on topic. Once again, it's all right here in black and white.

No, not exactly. I don't know anyone here in this forum, but through the last posts I learned a lot.

But especially this statement here leaves me confused:

Quote:
They say that you can judge a person by their enemies. I sure hope so!
According to that thesis, an idiot being contradicted by a genius should be judged as a genius as well?

And if you see yourself on the genius side, why should you hope this thesis was right?

You see, I'm completely confused.

Probably the solution to this dilemma is very simple, but our conclusions in that point may be as different as always.

Best regards,

RG
Old 07-31-2013, 05:44 AM   #66
beemerphile OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Hello!

No, not exactly. I don't know anyone here in this forum, but through the last posts I learned a lot.

According to that thesis, an idiot being contradicted by a genius should be judged as a genius as well?

And if you see yourself on the genius side, why should you hope this thesis was right?

Probably the solution to this dilemma is very simple, but our conclusions in that point may be as different as always.

Best regards,

RG
RG

Touché! You don't appear to be having any trouble keeping up with the Anglophones.

For the information you have provided, thanks plenty. I have attempted (so far unsuccessfully) to engage a human being at Dellorto Direct in order to inquire about a set of carbs to specific requirements. I have ordered the DellOrto manual in order to self-school a bit more on the PHM range and am hoping that I will then be able to correctly spec a set. I'd rather not buy them and then have to replace all of the tuning parts, but that is an option. As this will be my 4th motorcycle, and not a daily rider, I only have to finish the project before I die. Well, on further reflection I am not even sure if even THAT is a requirement.
Old 07-31-2013, 06:38 AM   #67
Rucksta
Chronic Noob

Oddometer: 2,603
Whats the hurry

Quote:
I only have to finish the project before I die.
I've been "tunning" my Dels for 30 odd years and even though I think I have them just about right I don't see that my death should be any barrier to the next bloke having a go at getting it right
Old 07-31-2013, 10:11 AM   #68
supershaft
because I can

Quote:
Hello!

Best regards,

RG
Yes, exactly. That thread was a response to Dr.t's personal insults aimed at me. Nothing but. Your comments make less sense from there but . . . .
Old 07-31-2013, 10:43 AM   #69
DoktorT
BigBrowedNeandereer

Oddometer: 1,144
Quote:
Yes, exactly. That thread was a response to Dr.t's personal insults aimed at me. Nothing but. Your comments make less sense from there but . . . .
OK, I'll be busy through the weekend and off line. Will check back next week and post you some ROTFLMAO smilies for you.
DoktorT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 01:44 AM   #70
RGregor

Quote:
Hello!

I have nothing to do with Dr.T and the long long list of people who have insulted you without any reason in afaik different forums.

But in this thread I got a very clear idea why reasonable things don't make sense to you.

Thanks for that.

Best regards

RG
Old 08-01-2013, 06:45 AM   #71
Bill Harris
Confirmed Curmudgeon

Quote:
RG

Touché! You don't appear to be having any trouble keeping up with the Anglophones.

For the information you have provided, thanks plenty. I have attempted (so far unsuccessfully) to engage a human being at Dellorto Direct in order to inquire about a set of carbs to specific requirements. I have ordered the DellOrto manual in order to self-school a bit more on the PHM range and am hoping that I will then be able to correctly spec a set. I'd rather not buy them and then have to replace all of the tuning parts, but that is an option. As this will be my 4th motorcycle, and not a daily rider, I only have to finish the project before I die. Well, on further reflection I am not even sure if even THAT is a requirement.
This will be an interesting restoration, both from a technical and a historical perspective. The Dellortos are impressive-looking and -working. And you may be twiddling (fine tuning) with them for years. In many ways, much like the Weber DCOE carbs on the 4-cylinder BMW cars.

--Bill
Old 08-01-2013, 06:51 AM   #72
beemerphile OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Harris View Post
This will be an interesting restoration, both from a technical and a historical perspective. The Dellortos are impressive-looking and -working. And you may be twiddling (fine tuning) with them for years. In many ways, much like the Weber DCOE carbs on the 4-cylinder BMW cars.

--Bill
Bill

When I get it going, I will have to head over to Birmingham to show it to you. We could have another five star meal at a fine local restaurant like we did on the Hannigan windshield transfer. And maybe there will be some people in the parking lot that we can (not) assist with gasoline money to visit their mom in the hospital. Can't wait (or I could go there now on my newly refreshed 1976 R75.)
Old 08-01-2013, 11:54 AM   #73
supershaft
because I can

Quote:
RG

No one can do anything but guestimate what you will need. Usually on the power killing rich and safe side of what it needs. So many people for some reason think you can jet carbs without buying jets. Wrong. Finding what works best takes comparisons. Especially off idle. Different combo's of overlapping jets will do different things for an engine. You can only find out by trying them. For instance, I think my setup runs better with a richer slide versus much larger needle jets. You never know till you try it!
Old 08-02-2013, 09:22 PM   #74
Bill Harris
Confirmed Curmudgeon

Quote:
Bill

When I get it going, I will have to head over to Birmingham to show it to you. We could have another five star meal at a fine local restaurant like we did on the Hannigan windshield transfer. And maybe there will be some people in the parking lot that we can (not) assist with gasoline money to visit their mom in the hospital. Can't wait (or I could go there now on my newly refreshed 1976 R75.)
You're on. Come to Barber's Vintage and we can do Hamburger Heaven AND The Whistlestop Cafe in Irondale...

--Bill
Old 08-20-2013, 06:21 AM   #75
beemerphile OP
Beastly Adventurer

Bumping my own thread, I have heard some comments that the DellOrtos have strong springs in them to overcome the springs in the accel pumps and that they are tiring on long rides for that reason.

Is there agreement with this by those with Dell experience?