Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-24-2013, 06:21 AM   #91
beemerphile OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,687
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wirespokes View Post
I'd think the rubber mounted carbs would be easier since the spigots wouldn't need changing. I've also heard the rubber mounted works better anyway.
I have heard (and believe) that as well and that was the direction I was trying to head. The easier / harder part was in actual procurement. I could not find an outlet where I could talk with someone and discuss what calibration parts I wanted shipped with the carbs. Nor was it clear to me which carbs had which, if any, style of pump. Some of the sources that have people working for them can only get the ND but not the NS. I guess they sell mostly to KTMers. I did not want to buy them knowing that I was going to throw away $50 worth of parts in each carb on the day the box arrived. I specifically wanted 38mm instead of 40mm because I like lower RPM performance. Screaming the guts out of an airhead motor is not my brand of fun.

So, Bill at Rocky Point made it easy for me to order the R90S spec carbs with starting calibration that should run long enough to get me into tuning mode. This is going in a new crank-out motor build with Enduralast and EnduraSpark and I wanted a fighting chance to get the machine to light and run long enough to do the initial break-in without the carburetors being totally out of range.

I have enough challenges in this project already, I was never the smartest in my age group.
beemerphile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 06:25 AM   #92
chasbmw
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,791
Rubber mounted should help with reducing heat and vibration to the carbs, mine seem to stay in tune for a reasonable period. Won't work with Pod filters as the carbs will probably fall off too easily.
1971 Commando Fastback
chasbmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 07:55 AM   #93
supershaft
because I can

Oddometer: 8,275
Quote:
Originally Posted by beemerphile View Post
I have heard (and believe) that as well and that was the direction I was trying to head. The easier / harder part was in actual procurement. I could not find an outlet where I could talk with someone and discuss what calibration parts I wanted shipped with the carbs. Nor was it clear to me which carbs had which, if any, style of pump. Some of the sources that have people working for them can only get the ND but not the NS. I guess they sell mostly to KTMers. I did not want to buy them knowing that I was going to throw away $50 worth of parts in each carb on the day the box arrived. I specifically wanted 38mm instead of 40mm because I like lower RPM performance. Screaming the guts out of an airhead motor is not my brand of fun.

So, Bill at Rocky Point made it easy for me to order the R90S spec carbs with starting calibration that should run long enough to get me into tuning mode. This is going in a new crank-out motor build with Enduralast and EnduraSpark and I wanted a fighting chance to get the machine to light and run long enough to do the initial break-in without the carburetors being totally out of range.

I have enough challenges in this project already, I was never the smartest in my age group.
I have rubber mounted PHM's and I needed to change the spigots. It might matter what model you are starting with? I don't run pods for a number of reasons.

Last I checked, Herdan's could have set you up just as you wished. Rubber mounted PHM's with stock R90S jetting. For less money too!

supershaft screwed with this post 08-24-2013 at 08:22 AM
supershaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 09:47 AM   #94
R100LT
Chasing 11

Oddometer: 625
Cables ... 40 mm Dells .., Anyone ... Anyone ???
Old 08-24-2013, 01:53 PM   #95
beemerphile OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,687
Quote:
Originally Posted by supershaft View Post
Herdan's could have set you up just as you wished. Rubber mounted PHM's with stock R90S jetting. For less money too!
Story of my life (so far). I appreciate the understanding I have received from this thread.
beemerphile is offline   Reply With Quote