User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-23-2013, 11:31 PM   #1
Schai OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
Low Pressure Tire Gauge

I'm looking for a tire gauge that I can believe, and repeats, around a 4.5 to 14psi. I have a couple of old pencil gauges that read from 0-20, but I don't trust them to reliably read in the 4psi range.

Anyone have such a tire gauge that they like a lot and also remembers where it came from?

Thanks,

Steve
Schai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 12:25 AM   #2
viverrid
not dead yet

Oddometer: 30,482
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schai View Post
I'm looking for a tire gauge that I can believe, and repeats, around a 4.5 to 14psi. I have a couple of old pencil gauges that read from 0-20, but I don't trust them to reliably read in the 4psi range.

Anyone have such a tire gauge that they like a lot and also remembers where it came from?

Thanks,

Steve
Tire gauges intended for ATVs should read in that range.

Quick google showed many, including dial gauges.
Advanced pancreatic cancer found 04/2010. Have outlived +/- 97% of patients with this diagnosis, but 08/2013 cancer now in liver, vascular system and lungs with 20+ lung tumors. Sick/weak sometimes, not riding much. No more treatments & now under Hospice care.
viverrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 07:08 AM   #3
thegraydog
2 wheels X 6 ways

Oddometer: 590
buy a few at four bucks apiece. See if they agree. Available at the hardware store.
thegraydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 07:28 AM   #4
Irish John
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 216
I bought a Bell bicycle tire gauge at Walmart. It is a digital read out and reads from 2 - 100 psi. Believe it was $9.
Irish John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 07:29 AM   #5
Gordo83
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 120
Go to a kart racing site like this; http://www.tsracing.com/store/showpr...ectGroup_ID=37
They have the best gauges for reading right down to 1/4 pound. We raced karts for years. These gauges are great for getting true pressures.
Just this weekend I was riding with a guy who's tire didn't look right. He said it had 4 pounds, according to his gauge. I put mine on it and it had 7 pounds.
Gordo83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 07:47 AM   #6
lamotovita
Ageing Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,354
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordo83 View Post
Go to a kart racing site like this; http://www.tsracing.com/store/showpr...ectGroup_ID=37
They have the best gauges for reading right down to 1/4 pound. We raced karts for years. These gauges are great for getting true pressures.
Just this weekend I was riding with a guy who's tire didn't look right. He said it had 4 pounds, according to his gauge. I put mine on it and it had 7 pounds.
Thats a good link to some nice gauges.
A good pressure is probably the most important tool in a Trials riders box.
I use a cheap pencil gauge to set initial pressure and fine tune it with a good dial gauge. I have damaged dial gauges by checking a tire that has pressure exceeding the limit of the gauge. I've tried lots of digital gauges and never found one that I was satisfied with.
Old 07-24-2013, 08:19 AM   #7
DrKayak
Retro Rider

Oddometer: 721
I like this one. Wish my other high pressure gauges had the right angle head it has.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...With-Hose.aspx
04 FZ1
DrKayak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 08:37 AM   #8
lamotovita
Ageing Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,354
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrKayak View Post
I like this one. Wish my other high pressure gauges had the right angle head it has.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...With-Hose.aspx
Since we're discussing precision instruments I feel compelled to point out that that is not a right angle.
Old 07-24-2013, 01:06 PM   #9
Gordo83
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 120
If you're going to spend 23.00 plus 3.00 more for the rubber housing, you might as well go with the best: http://www.tsracing.com/store/showde...ID=443&CATID=3
The Longacre company has been in business forever and is definitely one of the best and most accurate.

lamotovita said it best. Correct tire pressure is important and also, be very careful not to forget; only use it on your bike. I have pinned my Longacre gauge on other tires accidentally and still never had it fail. I've even run it over. I've also left it on the kart body and sent my kid out on the track with it, only to be thrown off and run over again. The thing won't die and is still accurate to 1/4 pound. I have nothing to do with the Longacre company, but the damn gauge is the best tool in my box.
Gordo83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 09:49 AM   #10
motobene
Motoing for 43 years

Oddometer: 859
Got a nice store-bought one now with a little dump valve. I have also made my own using a high quality 0-10 psi gage.

Regardless of what you use, keep low pressure gages away from your children and dullards. One check of a 40 psi tire will roast a perfectly good low pressure gage. My kids when they were younger and at home killed two of them.

I started hiding my gage in a long sock and in a remote drawer.
motobene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 10:31 AM   #11
mud
I just wander.....

Oddometer: 1,649
One thing to know about dial gauges (or any gauge for that matter) is that they are most accurage at half of full scale. In other words, if you want 6 psi look for a 15 psi gauge.... Reading 6 psi on a 100 psi scale is not going to cut it.
mud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 11:14 PM   #12
Schai OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
Got the Longacre 0-15psi

Thanks guys, particularly Gordo83 and lamotovita. I ordered the Longacre 0-15psi gauge, #50450, that you referenced.

I also broke down and bought their economy Digital 0-100psi model, #50347. Assuming that I can remove its hose, I'll move the head to my main tire inflator. The present gauge in it looks like it reads about 8psi high at 40 psi. But, since I tried 5 gauges and got a 10 psi spread, with the closest 2 being only 2 psi apart, I have absolutely no idea what tire pressures I've been running the last 15 years!!

Schai screwed with this post 07-25-2013 at 11:20 PM
Schai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 07:12 AM   #13
broncobowsher
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,271
That Longacre should be a good one. Circle track people can get real fussy about tire pressure and Longacre is a well known company that has been around a long time. I have thought about getting one of those. I know others who have circle track style gauges. I would run one without hesitation.

My best one, a freebie pencil stick from fourwheeler parts in a give away bag. Full length, I have never found a mini stick gauge that was remotely close. Better then a dial version I paid money for at a motorcycle store. I check them with our instrumentation lab at work. If real fussy I could get it certified and trackable back to national standards but I don't want to go through the hassle. I just run it through the quick check to make sure nothing is horribly wrong and run from there.
broncobowsher is offline   Reply With Quote