ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-25-2013, 02:33 PM   #16
men8ifr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 383
Quote:
Originally Posted by xTomKx View Post
I like using clips. If they are installed correctly and facing the right direction I've never had any issues. Running a clip on my R6 track bike for about 10 trackdays and on my KTM dirtbikes for the last 3-4 years. So far so good.
I've has clips on my enduro become a bit loose over time seems like they open up a bit - I've had to buy another link to use the spring clip from it. This was installed the right way round - would be quite wary about using one on a road bike - or at least check it every 500 miles which is a PITA.
men8ifr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 04:12 PM   #17
Hootowl
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,246
Been using clips since the '60's (as in 1960's) never had a problem. Road racing, desert riding, small bikes, big bikes.
Richard

'07 990A
'12 Super Tenere
Hootowl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 05:14 PM   #18
slidewayes
slidewayes

Oddometer: 515
With a rivet it is a continuous chain ,The clipped link is A temporary fix My lawn mower has clips and 1/2 links my 990 has none Bet ya the only clipped chines at laguna,Washougal ,or Dakar are not in the paddock
slidewayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 06:38 PM   #19
srad600
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 638
I've used both clips and rivets in the past. For years I had no problems until the one time my 600 spat out a clip and the chain, almost taking out the guy behind me. I've never used a clip since. That bike made about 105hp on the dyno, and my 990 should be right around that (hopefully a bit more ), I just would not trust a clip to handle the torque over time. Besides, using a rivet is super easy with the right tools, there's almost no point in NOT using it.
srad600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 06:23 AM   #20
FtheRedSticker
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
I once lost a clipped chain on a GSXR750. Took a chunk out the side of my engine case causing it to spew oil and coolant. Probably damn near took my leg with it. These bikes make too much power and torque not to use a rivet. On my kx250 ill use a clip. On the 950, NoWay!
FtheRedSticker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 07:23 AM   #21
ABuck99 OP

Oddometer: 553
Quote:
Originally Posted by Douf View Post
DID doesn't seem that bothered about the grinding step. That being said, I have broken off a couple of their press pins (but replacements are available and pretty cheap too).

http://www.didchain.com/chainTools.html

IMHO this is an excellent tool and pretty easy to use in the field, should the need arise. Aurel ended up buying one during his RTW trip IIRC.

Douf
Heavy duty- but heavy, I have one of these for the long trail: http://www.motionpro.com/motorcycle/partno/08-0358/
Old 07-27-2013, 07:32 AM   #22
GLRRA47
Adventurer

Oddometer: 79
I ran clips on my GP race bikes. However, they were inspected after every race. In the event one were to come off, the racer is wearing full leathers and on a closed course with limited obstacles to hit. On the road - I use rivets because they don't come off.
GLRRA47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 09:27 AM   #23
LocuL
Gnarly Infantry

Oddometer: 1,242
Run both. Setup correct they work just fine.
Old 07-28-2013, 09:59 AM   #24
wcohl
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 306
I run clips on my dirt bikes and usually replace them about halfway thru the life of the chain because they are showing signs of wear.

I used to run clips on my street bikes, until I lost one. I been using riveted links ever since.

The choice is yours. Many have run clips without a problem, but several have mentioned having a problem. I don't recall ever reading about someone with a riveted link failing.
wcohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 02:22 PM   #25
Frog uk
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 249
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yascher View Post
proper chain tool is designed to push out rivers with flare completely grinded off, otherwise your tool will break))))
Why bother grinding the pin heads off and using a tool to push the pin out? I used to do it like this until one day the light went on above my head, and used the grinder to just cut straight through the chain, takes no time at all and saves pissing around pushing pins out.

I assume you're putting a new chain on.
Frog uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 03:40 PM   #26
norm67
Adventurer

Oddometer: 87
RIVET

What do you have to loose. 1- your leg. 2 - the guy behind you eats the chain 3- the chain piles up and saws through your engine cases and leaves you stranded with no hope of a fix.

#3 happened to a buddy of mine who wanted to save a few bucks. He chewed through the left side of his engine while doing about a 180 mph. Not nice.
norm67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 04:15 PM   #27
Sporting Wood
I <3 Energizer Bunny

Oddometer: 891
Nothing really wrong with a clip link as long as its put on right.

Still, the rivet is better piece of mind and what I use... mostly because that's what comes free with the chain.
Sporting Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 01:00 PM   #28
men8ifr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 383
Just bought a new DID chain - they guarantee it for 15,000 miles but not if you use a clip!

I take it for read they know more than me about chains.
men8ifr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 02:19 PM   #29
mbrick
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by men8ifr View Post
Just bought a new DID chain - they guarantee it for 15,000 miles but not if you use a clip!

I take it for read they know more than me about chains.
The clip has nothing to do with wear. How could it? The links that are load bearing are the same on both style chains.

They just don't want someone trying to warranty a chain that came off, or warranty claims for a new master link clip.

That said, I have lost several clips but thankfully the link behind the clip has not come out. After putting on the clip I always spread the side plates to make sure its pushing against the clip.

Either is fine, depends if you ever want to take the chain off or not.
mbrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 07:03 PM   #30
jimmibanke
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 102
I used a clip ones, clip was suddently gone on highway with good speed, the chain stuck in between motorcase and sprocket, danglin right next to the rear tire, while passing a truck, behind a car, with a car behind me, luckily the chain did not slide under the rear tire, but if it has, I`ve probably died.

no clips for me. rivet thanks!

and yes it was installed correctly. ;-)
jimmibanke is offline   Reply With Quote