User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-11-2014, 03:52 PM   #1
twistie OP
- twistie

Oddometer: 20
Pelican panniers on my Triumph Street Triple

Pelican cases kick butt. I wanted them on my bike. Hereís my story of how I MacGyvered them.

[IMG][/IMG]

Iíve been planning on taking a longer trip on my Triumph Street Triple, and I wanted hard luggage. If any of you guys out there have a Street Triple, you might know that there arenít too many options out there. I guess itís just not a popular bike for long trips because itís more sporty and less comfortable than adventure or cruiser style bikes. I think it's a great bike for touring.

Let me start this by saying that I was working within a budget here. Sure, I could have emptied my bank account and bought hardcore panniers, but I didnít.

Street Triple brackets are tricky because itís a challenge to get around the stock twin exhaust (for certain models). I looked into making my own, but it was much more economical to buy a bracket that was already made for the bike, and work my creativity from there. I chose the SW Motech Blaze Saddlebag bracket. The other contender was the Givi bracket, but I wasnít too keen on itís aesthetics, and don't like how it connects to the exhaust hangers. It just seemed like a recipe for scratching. The Givi bracket is a bit less expensive though.

Hereí what came with the SW Motech bracket.

[IMG][/IMG]

I chose the top loading, lockable, Pelican 1430s. Sure, I could have gone with a bigger case, but I think these are a great size, and I donít have to worry about them scraping the ground when taking tight corners, or opening sideways like a briefcase. There are a lot of guys out there who get cases that open like briefcases, and I have no idea why.

I really wanted the cases to have a lockable quick release feature, but after realizing how much that would cost me, I just made permanent mounts to the brackets. Besides, I really donít care about detaching them when Iím touring. If Iím not touring, Iíll completely remove the brackets.

After figuring out how I wanted the bracket to mount to the cases, I drilled my holes, and inserted rubber flanges to help with waterproofing and vibrations. The reason why the holes are not level is because of the steep lean angle of the bracket. Sport bikes have a more aggressive stance than the adventure or cruiser bikes. You can see this by looking at the angle of the passenger seat.

[IMG][/IMG]

The plan was to sandwich the flanges between metal plates, or washers, to create a seal. The setup will look something like the following.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

I used five rubberized 3/4Ē tube clamps per bracket. Two for the top, two for the bottom, and one to to stabilize the lateral movement. The reason I used these clamps is because theyíre cheap, theyíll be quiet for vibrations, and they have a lot of friction to the tubing. The hardware all uses the same allen key for almost everything else on the bike. Super solid.

[IMG][/IMG]

The mounting points for the brackets are the passenger foot pegs and the subframe by the license plate. The SW Motech kit actually comes with nice quick release hardware for easily attaching and removing the bracket, but I donít want someone to easily walk away with my stuff, so I bought some allen key hardware, washers, and bolts to eliminate the quick release. In addition, the spring loaded quick release hardware introduces a flex at the mounting points, which is no good. Use LocTite on your threads!

Side note: If someone really wants to seal your stuff, they will. All you can do is do your best to prevent an honest person from being a thief.

When touring, I will have a Kriega US20 tail bag, probably my Kriega R20 backpack, a tent, sleeping bag, etc.. A nice thing about the Pelicans is that you can use the shoulder strap locations or handles as tie down points, and they act as platforms for a tent or sleeping bag to rest on. I think it looks pretty slick and this thing isnít going anywhere!

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Approximate costs:

SW Motech Blaze bracket $180
Two Pelican 1430 cases $165
Hardware $40

Total: $385

Still not cheap, but itís all good stuff, and I had a great time doing it.
twistie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 08:26 PM   #2
doogiepooch
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 869
Heck of a first post. I like them...alot. Have been contemplating a similar set up. Curious question, have you riden with them, how do they handle strong winds, do they catch wind enough to affect handling much?
doogiepooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 09:03 PM   #3
p0diabl0
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 516
My main concern - that's a lot of weight on the rear fender - is it actually metal back their or all plastic? I know Givi does a similar thing for my bike for soft bags and it's just bolted to the plastic rear fender.

p0diabl0 screwed with this post 03-28-2014 at 09:44 PM
p0diabl0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 09:04 PM   #4
twistie OP
- twistie

Quote:
Originally Posted by doogiepooch View Post
Heck of a first post. I like them...alot. Have been contemplating a similar set up. Curious question, have you riden with them, how do they handle strong winds, do they catch wind enough to affect handling much?

Hey doggiepooch,

I have ridden with them and they're fantastic. I added a tie down strap over the seat (from kayaking kit) to help out with the vertical force and keep things rock solid. It rides great, even when heavily loaded up. No problems with wind. A solid MacGuyver effort!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-18-2014, 09:07 PM   #5
twistie OP
- twistie

Quote:
Originally Posted by p0diabl0 View Post
My main concern - that's a lot of weight on the rear fender - is it actually metal back their or all plastic? I know Givi does a similar thing for my bike for soft bags and it's just bolted to the plastic rear fender.

Hey p0diabl0,

For this bracket, the only two mounting points are at the passenger pegs and rear subframe. Both spots are solid. I hear you with the fully loaded weight and vibration concerns. I added that tie down strap over the rear seat to help out with that (see post above).

Old 05-20-2014, 02:25 PM   #6
DJFlowe
Ginger

Oddometer: 223
Great thread! And solid creative work here.

I've been puzzling about adding some luggage to my Street Triple, and it's nice to see an option other than a top box.
DJFlowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 11:34 AM   #7
r60man
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 337
Nice job, looks good. Just out of curiosity, did you use standard or Metric bolts when putting it on? The reason I ask is that my father added bags to the bike I currently have and he used standard bolts. Everytime I need to take a bag off I forget and have to go searching for my standard tools. Just something to think about.

Speed doesn't kill anyone, suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you - Jeremy Clarkson
r60man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 03:59 PM   #8
twistie OP
- twistie

Pelican panniers on my Triumph Street Triple

The SW Motech frame comes with flathead quick release bolts. This is all fine and dandy, but I wanted to have more secure storage so someone with a quarter can't walk away with my kit. I went to the local fasteners store and got some nice metric Allen key bolts, which are the same #6 (I think) as the Allen key that comes under the seat of the bike - convenient.