stick with just the one petcock. 2 25.00%
definately add an additional petcock now while it's easy. 6 75.00%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-25-2014, 02:24 PM   #1
stretch160 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 472
one petcock or two on Acerbis tank?

I've just bought a 5.3 galon Acerbis fuel tank for my mighty DR650.
I see that the tank comes with a left side petcock, but there is a boss for a right side petcock as well, and the other petcock is only $20 delivered.
I haven't installed the tank yet because I haven't decided weather to use just one, or two valves.
On the one side two valves allow easier access to all of the fuel. I have heard conflicting testimonies to how much fuel is left on the right side (any where from 1/4 galon to almost a full gallon) but there may be a down side to 2 valves as well. Something else to break in a crash, forgetting to turn both valves off reserve after a fill up, or forgetting to turn both valves off when parked for long periods.

I'd like Y'alls oppinion on which route to take, especialy from those who have this particular tank. Has anyone installed both valves and wish they'd gone with just one, or installed just one and wish they'd taken the time to install the second valve before filling the tank with fuel?
stretch160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 03:35 PM   #2
devo2002
-Devo

Oddometer: 3,590
My Acerbis tank for a dr350 came with two petcocks, strange they sent you one for a tank that takes two...

Anyway, assuming the 650 tank is the same dimensions,from what I recall, if you don't use the second petcock you will need to lean the bike over to get gas into the other side. That sounds like a major pain in the ass, especially if loaded. It's 5.3 gallons, so that's over 2.5 gallons on each side, people quoting a half gallon or so is with the 2nd petcock (and that is the same for either side, as the petcock has about 1-2 inches of stem before the screen)...I'd just install it.

If it's a different shape then the 350 ignore whatever I just wrote
Old 04-26-2014, 05:19 AM   #3
wiggywildwildwest
cranky bugger

Oddometer: 713
yeah, it sucks having to lay your heavily loaded bike over to get fuel over the hump to the tap. fit both. a bit more complication, but easier in the long run.
Old 05-09-2014, 03:10 AM   #4
NERVE
Thrumming along

Oddometer: 290
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiggywildwildwest View Post
yeah, it sucks having to lay your heavily loaded bike over to get fuel over the hump to the tap. fit both. a bit more complication, but easier in the long run.
+1...yep.
Old 05-13-2014, 11:25 PM   #5
TUCKERS
the famous james

Oddometer: 11,376
I put two on our DR650's for the Ushuaia trip.
Turned the lever to reserve on both and left them that way for 77 days, no problem. Never turned them off never touched them.

TUCKERS screwed with this post 05-22-2014 at 10:48 PM
TUCKERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 10:34 AM   #6
MrPulldown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,558
The DR650 might be set up differently than the DR350's acerbis tank. Most of the time I do not use the left side petcock and leave it capped off.

Several reasons for this.
-I work on my bike alot and remove the tank often. Dealing with the 2nd line is a PITA
-the carb intake is on the left side. The routeing from the right is poor and flows fuel poorly. The gas has to run "uphill" to get to the carb. If using the right side only, and you run out of fuel, reverse doesn't get you anymore gas. It usually is enough to stop the bike from sputtering, and enough for me to open up the left side (when I do have both sides plumbed). Had to learn the hard way to use the right side then the left side then the left side res.

That said I think you should still get both petcocks.
- I think your bike might flow better.
-A flying rock busted the plastic lever on the left side and had to use the right side only for a while. Could still turn on the left with a pair of pliers.
-The right side is better to switch to res when the bike is sputtering cause you can pull in the clutch.
-Not plumbed I pull the cap off and fill my fuel bottle camping. And have given extra gas to a buddy of mine.