Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-26-2013, 12:32 PM   #16
Big Bamboo OP
Aircooled & Sunbaked

Oddometer: 3,353
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugwest View Post
From 2000 edition of Bing manual

Oh and despite the Indy bowl's lack of the old 'overflow tube' in the bowl, mine vent/puke just fine from the tiny vent hole near the choke housing area.

NB: rap on the carb body with a plastic mallet when filling a dry Indy bowl. The smaller floats like to hang up on the sides of the bowl on an initial fill.
THANKS, good to know!
Big Bamboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 03:41 PM   #17
Stan_R80/7
Beastly Gnarly

Oddometer: 1,277
FWIW, when I have cleaned up the float and float chamber (to keep with Bing terminology) as part of a 'rebuild' - some metal polish and pipe cleaners were used to clean the brass tube inserts in the floats. Having the float tubes polished keeps them from sticking on the pins. If they stick, then fuel comes out the carb vent hole as mentioned - which is aggravating. Note the bowls are not interchangeable.

Also, in a futile effort to state the obvious, the float chamber (bowl) fuel height affects the air/fuel mixture. More height is richer and less leaner. Bing does not provide the fuel height in the float chamber but instead describes how the float arm needs to be parallel to the carb body as an indirect way to set the fuel height. I never found it easy to tell if the float arm was parallel with the carb body while installed on the bike. Apparently, that is easy for some. Again, YMMV.
Stan_R80/7 is offline   Reply With Quote