Old 12-01-2013, 09:10 PM   #46
The Walrus
Gone and back again.

Oddometer: 8,682
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinglow View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdeks View Post
Looks like that problem with the airbox not sealing can get pretty serious....

That Unifilter kit is looking like a must-have.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfink View Post
I ridden all countries in South and Central America, East Texas and the Trans Labrador highway and can attest to great amounts of dust in all places. If indeed the problem is caused by bypassing the filter, that damages valve seats and scores the cylinder walls, this should be seen by doing a compression and bleed down test.

Has anyone done this? If so, can we get the results?
^^^^^^^^^^^^^

It's obvious that the air intake design is a significant departure from other KTM bikes that I'm familiar with. Until I see one live, it's more difficult to determine if there could be a problem with the seal of the box or if the problem lies in how the filter mounts and seals in place. Every air intake on every bike determines the ford height for water crossings. I wonder how much impact the tube system has on that, probably not much. Finally, before being convinced that there is cylinder or valve damage, the leak down test along with compression values should be reported. It is entirely possible that some bikes were poorly shimmed from the factory and KTM seems to have acknowledged that problem. A disagreement with the design team who implemented the airbox design is another matter, IMHO.
I think there was a legitimate request to activate this thread over this issue and I did not get any information or response when posted to the 1190 thread so I'm going to make it an issue here..............
When choosing between two evils, I always like to try the one I've never tried before. - Mae West
Experience is what keeps a man who makes the same mistake twice from admitting it the third time around.
The Walrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 01:05 AM   #47
Bundu
===============

Oddometer: 602
has anybody found a solution for the flashing brake light on hard acceleration?
Bundu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 04:46 AM   #48
XsilverGS
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bundu View Post
Bundu. Have you seen my post? Please add your name, KTM UK denied knowing about this problem when I asked them at the NEC Motorcycle Show.
XsilverGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 06:58 AM   #49
rc51owner
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by XsilverGS View Post
Bundu. Have you seen my post? Please add your name, KTM UK denied knowing about this problem when I asked them at the NEC Motorcycle Show.
Sounds like KTM UK is as ostrich like as KTM North America. It seems to be endemic throughout the company. Not good for customers trying to resolve frustrating issues...

Cheers,

M
rc51owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 01:14 AM   #50
Bundu
===============

Oddometer: 602
Quote:
Originally Posted by XsilverGS View Post
thanks for that! Will add my bike as well - I'm sure most guys don't even know about the problem - This problem is obviously not as critical as the air box design flaw (which KTM is ignoring) but nonetheless, you look like a fool that is touching the brakes the whole time from behind
Bundu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 09:42 PM   #51
mcguyver
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,234
KTM 1190 problems?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcguyver View Post
Finally had a chance to have a closer look and discovered the radiator overflow bottle is empty.???

Stupid design means I Can't check radiator level without removing the fuel tank.

Not very happy. Bike is back yo dealer on Tuesday.
Ok so it turns out the leak and the empty overflow bottle were unrelated.

The leak from the blocked off hose was actually excess air filter oil that seeped out my DNA air filter. When the motor gets hot the oil becomes more viscous and flows down the hose. No major issue there..

As for the empty overflow bottle. KTM have issued an tech update to replace certain radiator hoses.
There are also tech updates for the centre stand bolt, a computer reflash, and sidestand spring

I would suggest you all talk to to your dealer as KTM won't contact you.
mcguyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 11:06 PM   #52
F650Dakar_Norway
What off-season?

Oddometer: 960
I'm already starting to miss the simple air filter access on the 690 RFR and 9x0 series.

28 screws/bolts, some plastic panels and the fuel tank must now be removed before the rider can make a simple roadside air filter and filter box inspection.

With some 2013 models already dust-self-destroying this can put the 15 000km service intervals in question.

Another question is legitimate; can the KTM dealership customer interface effectively handle the targeted two-wheeled GS-oriented customer group with appropriately tech-savvy service and quality attitudes?

BMW also had its fair share of teething problems from the intro of the 2004 1200 GS.

The 1190 katooms are having the potensiale to grab market shares in the important GS segment.

The state-of-the-art tech complexity of the 1190 series may appear a tall order for a dealer- and workshop network previously tuned and adapted to the simpler dirtbike regime.

Where people normally chuck their bikes into vans and mostly frequent less paved roads and dirt race arenas.

The 1190 series will require a totally different approach and customer orientation.

We can already see this tall order in the Norwegian dealership network.
2008 KTM 690 RFR
1994 Honda ST1100

F650Dakar_Norway screwed with this post 12-04-2013 at 02:06 AM
F650Dakar_Norway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 12:55 AM   #53
Toors
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 117
Fuel tank problem

Seemingly a new problem on mine - the inside lining of the petrol tank is coming loose (little white specs) and the clogs the fuel filter - KTM will be replacing the tank under warranty.

Also did an oil change at 7500 km and by looking at the condition of the oil, I'll strongly recommend that you add this halfway oil change to your service schedule.
Toors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 01:21 AM   #54
Womble_CH
dribbling baboon

Oddometer: 206
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toors View Post
Also did an oil change at 7500 km and by looking at the condition of the oil, I'll strongly recommend that you add this halfway oil change to your service schedule.
In which case you can replace the Dom Perignon with regular engine oil ?
Womble_CH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 01:23 AM   #55
Toors
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Womble_CH View Post
In which case you can replace the Dom Perignon with regular engine oil ?
I am from a dirt bike back ground (we do a lot of oil changes ) - would still put the good stuff in. $50 oil change to save the engine later is worth every sent (in my opinion)
Toors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 03:10 AM   #56
Tancakar
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 357
hi all!

my bike seems to cough lately just when i accelerate from first gear 1500 rpm to 2300 rpm. its feels like a delay but i does makes me wonder if its anything to do with the air filter ? i have 3500 miles on my bike with the oem filter and also some one was talking about the valve check ? so do you think ?
Tancakar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 04:40 AM   #57
Jdeks
Departed

Oddometer: 932
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tancakar View Post
hi all!

my bike seems to cough lately just when i accelerate from first gear 1500 rpm to 2300 rpm. its feels like a delay but i does makes me wonder if its anything to do with the air filter ? i have 3500 miles on my bike with the oem filter and also some one was talking about the valve check ? so do you think ?

If you've only got the OEM filter, by all reports so far, you're probably sucking dirty air. The stock airbox doesn't seal properly. You NEED the Unifilter kit. If you've done any riding in dirty conditions, you could well have dusted your motor and might have damaged valves, rings etc.

This would probably affect the whole rev range in all gears, and make the bike hard to start, so I don't think this is the cause of your problem. But regardless, you should get the updated filter ASAP.

The other possibility is it's a fueling/mapping issue. If it's only doing it in first gear in a certain rev range, I would think this more likely. But it's odd that its only started now....In any case, with that all managed by electronics, it could be anything, so you have no choice - it's off to the dealer to have it plugged into the KTM computer.

I guess there are *some* advantages to those rusty old 950 carburettors, eh?
Jdeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 04:55 AM   #58
rc51owner
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 188
Quote:
Seemingly a new problem on mine - the inside lining of the petrol tank is coming loose (little white specs) and the clogs the fuel filter - KTM will be replacing the tank under warranty.
I see that KTM haven't gotten better in this regard. My 2004 950S also had a tank that delaminated.

Cheers,

M
rc51owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 05:41 AM   #59
barbadv
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bundu View Post

KTM said that 2014 mapping will be the solution...waiting for my 1190 upgrade, i'll see
barbadv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 01:32 PM   #60
Womble_CH
dribbling baboon

Oddometer: 206
Quote:
I am from a dirt bike back ground (we do a lot of oil changes ) - would still put the good stuff in. $50 oil change to save the engine later is worth every sent (in my opinion)
I'm from a veteran bike background. No need to 'change' oil it never really gets old, just refill very frequently . So I put the cheapest. Engine is now 47 years old, can't be too bad.

50$ is still not expensive. I paid $ 100 just for oil at the 1st service, thats what I call Dom Perignon.

Sent from my IBM Simon using morse
Womble_CH is offline   Reply With Quote